• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    I really don't get to shoot my HK91 too often anymore, what with some kind of ammo shortage I've heard of, so I decided to go plastic. I just bought the 1,000 round pack of this with the rollerless carrier from Dan's Sporting Goods:

as30816.jpg

I had read good reports from people who've shot this with G3-pattern rifles, but not-so-good using other rifles. I'm willing to give it a go and report back when I get it. Plus, this way I get to keep the nickel-coated DAG 7.62X51 battle packs sealed up. That ammo is just too pretty to shoot, anyway.

So if you see a guy at AGC in the near future with an HK91 hurling blue plastic cases 30' out that will likely be me. Petar, you can bring out your wussy M25 if you want to try it out on it. :D

c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    From what I've read it just won't cycle. Not sure on other details. If Petar brings out his M25 when we go to the range next we can try it out and report back.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    I really don't get to shoot my HK91 too often anymore, what with some kind of ammo shortage I've heard of, so I decided to go plastic. I just bought the 1,000 round pack of this with the rollerless carrier from Dan's Sporting Goods:

I had read good reports from people who've shot this with G3-pattern rifles, but not-so-good using other rifles. I'm willing to give it a go and report back when I get it. Plus, this way I get to keep the nickel-coated DAG 7.62X51 battle packs sealed up. That ammo is just too pretty to shoot, anyway.

So if you see a guy at AGC in the near future with an HK91 hurling blue plastic cases 30' out that will likely be me. Petar, you can bring out your wussy M25 if you want to try it out on it. :D

Prices and links?
    ETA: nevermind, I found it.

c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County

FIFY.

Main reason is to shoot my HK91 more. If this works I'll buy a ton of it and not worry about the crazy prices for 7.62X51 / .308 for a while. Plus, don't forget: zombies. At 4,000 fps out of the barrel, I should be able to blow some zombie brains out at under 25 yards.

c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    What can you practice with this? not busting your balls, i just don't get it.

I'm not practicing anything, just want to go to the range to shoot my gun. It is supposed to shoot fairly flat thru 100 yards, and maybe further out. If I get a click then BANG and a shot somewhat on target at 100 yards I'll be very happy. Plus,there will be no lead/copper residue to clean up and should have little wear on the barrel. Plus blue's my favorite color.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I am not familiar with Dan's. Are they online, do they ship? How much does training ammo run? I'd like to get some so my kids and wife could shoot my 7.62 Mauser and my Rem 700 without too much recoil. Thx

c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    I am not familiar with Dan's. Are they online, do they ship? How much does training ammo run? I'd like to get some so my kids and wife could shoot my 7.62 Mauser and my Rem 700 without too much recoil. Thx

http://www.dansammo.com/

Excellent people to deal with. I've bought ammo from them on several occasions and service is always quick.

On this particular one, I ordered Tuesday nite, they shipped today, and per the UPS site I'll have a whole mess of plastic rounds this Friday! :party29:

I suggest you wait a bit and let me be the guinea pig. I'll let you know how it runs thru my HK.

c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County

I'll take your gunlore and raise you 100 Internetz with FAL Files!

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=249852&highlight=dag

I read both stories, and the only guy who actually tested the ammo with the gun it was intended for and with the special bolt/carrier was the guy from the FAL Files forum. The gunlore guy's report is very iffy. Anyway, I'll be blowing through this stuff on Sunday, so I should have a good range report later that day or Monday. If you see me at AGC and want to try a few rounds with your .308 rigs just come grab me.

c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    Range report

OK, got the rounds in last Friday, and made it to the range today with Petar. So, first the pics:

762trainingammobox.jpg

Ammo comes packed in 50 round boxes

762trainingammoboltrounds.jpg

Here's the special roller-less G3 bolt and carrier group, with one unfired round, and one fired casing and bullet

762trainingammo25yds.jpg

This is the target at 25 yards

762trainingammo100yds.jpg

Here's the target at 100 yards.

Full report: I loaded 100 rounds of ammo in 20-round mags, and setup with my ZF24-scoped HK91 at 25 yards to start. I had previously zeroed the scope for 200 yards, so it should shoot low at 25 yards. I loaded a mag, charged the rifle and took a shot. The recoil was much lighter than with a regular 7.62X51 round, but definitely noticeable. The first shot was just below the first yellow ring, but right in line. The next round did not chamber, though, and I had a FTE and double-feed. I quickly realized that the HK91 was not cycling the rounds properly. I'm thinking this can be fixed with either a lighter hammer and/or recoil springs. Otherwise, as long as the rifle was held tight the rounds shot and ejected fine by loading a single shot in the mags. Petar took a few shots at 25 yds also and we grouped surprisingly tightly.

We moved to 100 yards, and the first shot was the best, right below the bullseye. The rest scattered a bit as you can see from the target, but only dropped about 2" from the 25 yard group. The two shots above the bullseye were done on purpose, as we aimed higher. I was able to recover some of the spent bullets on the backstop.

Overall, it was fun to shoot, the recoil was light, and it was reasonable accurate for training rounds. I am going to work on a solution to the cycling issue, first by looking for ways to lighten up the recoil spring, and if that doesn't work, the hammer spring. I may end up buying a surplus trigger group and recoil spring assembly and make a kit to work just for this ammo.

Maybe next time we can try it on bolt action and other semi-auto rifles, depending on who brings what.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom