• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I found a guy who has 2700 rounds of 7.5 French for sale for $1350 shipped ($0.50/rd shipped.) I'm already buying some guns from him and it came up in conversation. Almost all of it is French 50s-60s military manufacture = corrosive & Berdan primed. None is Syrian (I hear bad things about that stuff). ~700 of the rounds are on strippers. Good price or not? Its a multi-lifetime supply of 7.5 French for me and would likely offload much of it.

I don't mind shooting corrosive though the bolt guns, but I HATE cleaning the semi-auto 49/56s thoroughly enough (I always fear missing a spot and finding rust a year later or something.) Plus if I just take it out and shoot a couple dozen rounds its not worth the cleaning effort vs just using slightly higher priced non-corrosive commercial ammo.

Worth jumping on or pass on the deal?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    That 7.5 French ammo has become rare. I don't own a firearm in that caliber, but I know some folks that would pay for a few boxes of that ammo. Go to the auction web pages and see what folks are selling it for there.

Good luck!

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Go to the auction web pages and see what folks are selling it for there.

GB was the first place I looked;) But prices are all over the map there: $0.50 to >>$1 and am not sure if collectors are looking for specific years or what. At $0.50 I prob won't loose money but unless I could unload some of it quickly (like to folks here I'd sell for what I have into it) its not worth tying the money up or the hassle.

FWIW, commercial PRVI is ~$0.80/rd shipped (non-corrosive and boxer primed)

mrbig381

Nov 5, 2009
    southern Md
    Fifty cents per is a good price. When the 49/59 rifles came in, the ammo was hard to find and was going for sixty cents a round or more.

pappa

Dec 9, 2015
    GB was the first place I looked;) But prices are all over the map there: $0.50 to >>$1 and am not sure if collectors are looking for specific years or what. At $0.50 I prob won't loose money but unless I could unload some of it quickly (like to folks here I'd sell for what I have into it) its not worth tying the money up or the hassle.

FWIW, commercial PRVI is ~$0.80/rd shipped (non-corrosive and boxer primed)

I have one in original and one in 7.62x51. Both excellent shooters. No way would I run corrosive ammo through any of my semi-auto rifles. I have a lot of mil-surp corrosive in 7.62x25 for my Tokarevs. A while back my med problems would sometimes interrupt my shooting. Meant to clean next morning, but didn't feel too good then. Short story - one Tokarev TT33 barrel ruined. It only takes a few times. The "corrosive" label is for real.
    Bolt action rifles - no gas tubes, valves, shut offs (your rifle has one for grenade launcher), etc - ok if you wash out with WATER - or water based cleaner. Only water actually cleans out corrosive primer residue. But SAs - no way. . Pat

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom