• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    6.5x47 has a much longer barrel life. Typical .243 (assuming 105 amax or 115/117 berger/dtac types) is around 1500-2500 (2500 is high, you probably aren't shooting them at full load density if that's what you get) for a barrel. 6.5x47L is considerably better on barrel life.

Either will work magnificently. Personal choice? I'd go 6.5x47 if only just for S&G. :thumbsup:

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

One of the first questions I always ask myself is:

Where will I buy ammo and or reloading components for it..?

So my selection would be based on:

Which is a well known caliber with a great history = 243...

Which once can I find ammo for at a reasonable price = 243...

If I wanted something with more knock down power & a better barrel life, I'd buy a 270...

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    not everyone needs or wants to buy factory ammo in saskatchewan. some people roll their own. if factory ammo is your major concern, buy a 30-06 and be done with it.

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    Both are excellent choices for tactical precision applications, and only the best shooters will be able to shoot the difference. As cited, 6.5x47 is a reloader's cartridge only.

Some random pro's and con's

243 will be moderately flatter, although you can jerry rig the 6.5x47 to shoot the lighter 6.5mm bullets at the same MVs (e.g. 107gr SMK, 108gr Scenar, plus a few custom bulletsmiths making 110-115gr).

Splash is significantly easier to see with a 130-140gr 6.5mm bullet vs a 105gr-115gr 6mm. We saw this big time at ASC when shooting the 1000-1200yd stages. Sure you can make hits with the 6mm at those ranges, but if you miss, the splash and vapor trail of the 6.5mm is SO much easier to see. The impacts of the 6.5mm will also have more energy at those ranges, meaning more noise, more knock-down ability. Of course, a 180gr 7mm pill is even easier to see w/ more energy :)

Wind deflection, very comparable, perhaps slight edge to 6.5mm, especially if you are driving a fancy 140gr Berger Hybrid. So close, you probably aren't going to shoot the difference.

Brass is big edge to .243. Lapua makes .243 brass if you want the best and there are value options as well as every brass manufacturer is making 243. Only Lapua makes 6.5x47.

In terms of cartridge design, slight edge to the 6.5x47: Shorter powder column = better primer/powder ingition = less MV variation. Better shoulders = less brass growth = less trimming = longer brass life at less work. Also, I like the small rifle primer on the 6.5x47, if nothing more than for making the 6.5x47 case head very strong and durable.

Barrel life is better with the 6.5x47.

Bullet selection: lots of awesomeness out there for both 6mm and 6.5mm, however, 6.5mm has a slight edge: the top 6mm bullet has a BC in the high 0.5's (115gr pointed DTAC) whereas you can get close to mid 0.6's with the 6.5mm (a pointed 140gr Berger Hybrid). Both have tons of light and medium bullet options. I guess if you are a short range benchrest guy, 6mm would have better options, but then you would not be using a 243.

Recoil very comparable, slight edge to the 243, although neither suffers from recoil issues.

Honestly, it is the indian, not the arrow. Buy a well made rifle with a good barrel and optic and get out there... don't get hung up on these small details for too long :thumbsup:

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Both are excellent choices for tactical precision applications, and only the best shooters will be able to shoot the difference. As cited, 6.5x47 is a reloader's cartridge only.

Some random pro's and con's

243 will be moderately flatter, although you can jerry rig the 6.5x47 to shoot the lighter 6.5mm bullets at the same MVs (e.g. 107gr SMK, 108gr Scenar, plus a few custom bulletsmiths making 110-115gr).

Splash is significantly easier to see with a 130-140gr 6.5mm bullet vs a 105gr-115gr 6mm. We saw this big time at ASC when shooting the 1000-1200yd stages. Sure you can make hits with the 6mm at those ranges, but if you miss, the splash and vapor trail of the 6.5mm is SO much easier to see. The impacts of the 6.5mm will also have more energy at those ranges, meaning more noise, more knock-down ability. Of course, a 180gr 7mm pill is even easier to see w/ more energy :)

Wind deflection, very comparable, perhaps slight edge to 6.5mm, especially if you are driving a fancy 140gr Berger Hybrid. So close, you probably aren't going to shoot the difference.

Brass is big edge to .243. Lapua makes .243 brass if you want the best and there are value options as well as every brass manufacturer is making 243. Only Lapua makes 6.5x47.

In terms of cartridge design, slight edge to the 6.5x47: Shorter powder column = better primer/powder ingition = less MV variation. Better shoulders = less brass growth = less trimming = longer brass life at less work. Also, I like the small rifle primer on the 6.5x47, if nothing more than for making the 6.5x47 case head very strong and durable.

Barrel life is better with the 6.5x47.

Bullet selection: lots of awesomeness out there for both 6mm and 6.5mm, however, 6.5mm has a slight edge: the top 6mm bullet has a BC in the high 0.5's (115gr pointed DTAC) whereas you can get close to mid 0.6's with the 6.5mm (a pointed 140gr Berger Hybrid). Both have tons of light and medium bullet options. I guess if you are a short range benchrest guy, 6mm would have better options, but then you would not be using a 243.

Recoil very comparable, slight edge to the 243, although neither suffers from recoil issues.

Honestly, it is the indian, not the arrow. Buy a well made rifle with a good barrel and optic and get out there... don't get hung up on these small details for too long :thumbsup:

Thanks! I want another rifle so bad, but don't know that I need anything other than my .308 and .260. I like the idea of the 243 and 6.5 but they really don't give me anything over my 260 other than reduced recoil. Which isn't a bad thing.

Not to hijack my own thread, but I'd also like one of the "big boys" sans .338 or .50. Was thinking of the 300WM or 7WSM for the 1500yd ranges. Any suggestions there? .284? 7mm?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well since you put it that way , since you already have a .260 aka efficent non-magnum 6.5 , it would be suprficous to get another .

There are more .30 and 7mm Magnums than all of us could shake sticks at. Unless you are going in with strong opinions on specific aspects of case design theory , it's basically a question of to what degree you want to be able to use common off the shelf brass & dies , vs the cachet of proprietary or wildcats to be different for different's sake. If factoring extends to the availability of commercial match grade ammo . The choices begin and end with .300WinMag .

bulletbill

Agent provocateur
    Dec 31, 2008
    SW FL
    Anyone have any experience with both of these cartridges? Just looking for some opinions as I try to pick my next rifle.

Not the 6.5x47L, but the 6.5 necked down to a 6. Fun gun to shoot all day long. I've shot everything from 95gr to 107gr projectiles in it. Oddly I grouped better left handed than right, never could quite figure out why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom