• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    like the title says...

My brother has a Rem 700 Tactical chambered in .223 Rem. Is it safe to shoot the 5.56 mil spec ammo out of it?

I did a google search and saw this that was interesting....
    body { margin: 0 0 0 0; padding:0 0 0 0 } td,div { font-family:Comic Sans MS;font-size:10pt;vertical-align:top } body { margin: 0 0 0 0; padding:0 0 0 0 } .transcript { background-color:#d2d2d2; } .messageBlock { margin-left:4px; margin-bottom:3px } .message { margin-left:100px; word-wrap:break-word; white-space:-moz-pre-wrap; _white-space:pre; } .messageCont { margin-left:100px; word-wrap:break-word; white-space:-moz-pre-wrap; _white-space:pre;} .other { color:#39577a;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; } .myself { color:#da8103;font-style:normal;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; } .otherCont { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#39577a;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; } .myselfCont { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#da8103;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; } .system { margin-left:4px; word-wrap:break-word;color:#da8103;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal; white-space:-moz-pre-wrap; _white-space:pre; } .showTimestamp { margin-right:3px; float:right; color:#999999;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal; } .other1 { color:#ac2000;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; } .otherCont1 { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#ac2000;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; } .other2 { color:#3c9fa8;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; } .otherCont2 { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#3c9fa8;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; } .other3 { color:#e25614;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; } .otherCont3 { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#e25614;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; } .other4 { color:#0b6ac8;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; } .otherCont4 { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#0b6ac8;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; } .other5 { color:#b23290;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; } .otherCont5 { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#b23290;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; } .other6 { color:#02e7c7;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; } .otherCont6 { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#02e7c7;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; } .other7 { color:#5b3284;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; } .otherCont7 { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#5b3284;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; } .tsDisplay { display:block } To address these issues, various proprietary chambers exist, such as the Wylde chamber[2] or the Armalite chamber, which are designed to handle both 5.56 mm and .223 equally well.

I have a factory Armalite rifle. Does this mean my rifle will handle the 5.56 and my CMMG will not?

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    Your link is busted.

Not sure about bolt guns, but 5.56 is a MUCH higher pressure cartridge and can do catastrophic damage to a .223 chambered AR15. 5.56 is also slightly thicker casing to accommodate for higher pressure. The cartridge dimensions are identical so it WILL chamber, but you could blow your upper. Again, not sure how this translates to a bolt gun....

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I believe the same holds true.
    Your link is busted.

Not sure about bolt guns, but 5.56 is a MUCH higher pressure cartridge and can do catastrophic damage to a .223 chambered AR15. 5.56 is also slightly thicker casing to accommodate for higher pressure. The cartridge dimensions are identical so it WILL chamber, but you could blow your upper. Again, not sure how this translates to a bolt gun....

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    I am not an expert nor do I claim to be but I use mil-spec in my Mini-14 and I know of several others that use it in there ARs and Mini-14s never had an issue. But it is always better to err on the side of caution.

300RUM

Custom Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    North East
    I am not an expert nor do I claim to be but I use mil-spec in my Mini-14 and I know of several others that use it in there ARs and Mini-14s never had an issue. But it is always better to err on the side of caution.

Mini-14s are actually chambered 5.56 though the barral is stamped .223 I believe the manual says you are safe to shoot 5.56.

I would not recommend shooting 5.56 in a .223 chambered AR though. In a bolt gun "I" would try it, just as I do with my reloaded ammo, and If I have no pressure signs I would use it.

I am not telling you to do this beware.

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    my understanding is the older 55gr m193 stuff is safe to use BUT the new NATO spec 62 gr 885 is loaded specifically for the machinesguns and is loaded very hot. I use to shoot the old stuff in my T/C contender and did not have a problem.

300RUM

Custom Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    North East
    I'm going to try to explain this in simple terms. The dimensions of 5.56 and .223 ammo are the same. There is a difference in the chamber of the firearm. 5.56 has more space(lead or throat) between the case and where the bullet engages the rifling. This extra space lowers pressure (Weatherby rifles do the same thing). Since the pressure is lower they can now bump it back up. 5.56 is loaded to a higher pressure then .223.

There is about 10,000 cup(pressure value) difference between the ammo. However when you put 5.56 in a .223 chamber, essentially taking away the space use to lower pressure, you push the pressure way up over even max for 5.56.
    Hope this helps.

Last edited:

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    Mini-14s are actually chambered 5.56 though the barral is stamped .223 I believe the manual says you are safe to shoot 5.56.

Thanks for the info I am glad to know I wasn't hurting it.

Since wiki says some manufacture's ARs are chambered for 5.56 i'll let those guys know that they should read there manuals if they haven't.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    I have a factory Armalite rifle. Does this mean my rifle will handle the 5.56 and my CMMG will not?

I looked on Armalite's website and based on what I read there it seems to me it depends on which Armalite model you have.

Also sorry I kinda highjacked your thread but I think it has helped us both out.

i did not fully read the that.. yeah.. i was looking for another link i had but didnt have time earlier..

http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html

Thanks for all the help MdShooters is a great site you guys are so helpful.:thumbsup:

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Don't do it. Overpressure will ruin your throat and destroy accuracy at best, destroy your barrel, your gun and possibly you at worst.

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    Sorry for thread-jacking, but ... how about milsurp 7.62x51 ammo in a Remington 700 chambered for .308?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom