• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    A side question; when you built your rifle, did you true the receiver face, and if the barrel was not a "thermal fit", did you seat it using Locktite 620 on the barrel extension?
    No, and no.

I think I sabotaged myself and I've not recreated the test conditions identically each time. I also seem to have unrealistic expectations of the rifle.

Contrary to some advice I received, I shouldn't have gone with a chrome lined barrel.
    Also, I need to stay on the bench with match grade ammo until I'm certain that I understand the rifle's limitations. Then I can start shooting from different positions with some other kind of ammunition (but probably never the M855 stuff).

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    It was one of 3 ammos that I tried. It's a commercial reproduction of M855 by X-TAC.
    I do have some Hornaday Superperformance Match grade stuff.
    Superperperfomance is designed to be very “hot” as in high pressure and velocity. It’s not known for top tier accuracy.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I think particular considerations for chamber spec could could play a role here.
    Cartridge head space in particular and how well the ammo fits a specific chamber.
    308/7.62 cartridge headspace and final chamber dimensions come to mind at least for me.
    I would think the same principles would apply to a different service configuration. (556-223)
    First thing I would do is find out how my chamber compared up to my ammo selection and go from there.
    There are lots of consideration points to take into account before the trigger is even pulled I think.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    No, and no.

I think I sabotaged myself and I've not recreated the test conditions identically each time. I also seem to have unrealistic expectations of the rifle.

Contrary to some advice I received, I shouldn't have gone with a chrome lined barrel.
    Also, I need to stay on the bench with match grade ammo until I'm certain that I understand the rifle's limitations. Then I can start shooting from different positions with some other kind of ammunition (but probably never the M855 stuff).
    All chromes are not equal. I'm not sure what the intended use for the rifle was(or is) for. If it is primarily for practice and not for competition, chrome barrels are fine. Depending on the type of competition, a chrome barrel might be required. I don't shoot comp., so I can't advise any further on that.

Like you said, get the rifle on a bench with some sand bags and decent ammo and see what you can wring out of it. Not sure where you are located, but I have a few boxes of Black Hills 68g Match ammo(blue box) I could swap a box if you have trouble finding decent ammo. I,m in G-burg

Good luck!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Fed Gold Medal Match 69g Sierra Match King

Black Hills 68g heavy match hollowpoint

Shop around for pricing.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I should have also recommended against 'superformance'. Hornady is not bad but their super line is like what was said above, really hot.

SGAmmo has some match 68gr ammo made by Lake City(Winchester owns/runs it now).

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Fed Gold Medal Match 69g Sierra Match King

Black Hills 68g heavy match hollowpoint

Shop around for pricing.

Wow, the variations of ammunition quality are amazing. Obviously, I can't trust just anything that has the word "match" on the box.

Ok, so I ordered a couple of boxes of the Federal. I'll do this on the bench.
    Should I start at 50 yds and then re-do it at 100 yds or should I just start at 100yds?

I didn't want to put optics on this rifle but I guess if the point is testing the rifle and not myself, using a scope for this exercise is the right thing to do.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Wow, the variations of ammunition quality are amazing. Obviously, I can't trust just anything that has the word "match" on the box.

Should I start at 50 yds and then re-do it at 100 yds or should I just start at 100yds?

I didn't want to put optics on this rifle but I guess if the point is testing the rifle and not myself, using a scope for this exercise is the right thing to do.
    It depends on what you are after. If you put a scope on it, don't waste the good ammo trying to get on paper. Bore sight it at 50 and test with some of the other ammo. You don't need to shoot bullseyes with the scope. You only need to aim at the bull consistently to see how well your gun will group. At that point, you'll know exactly what your gun will be capable of.

If you hand load, it would be very easy to come up with a decent bullet-powder-brass-primer combination. Short of that, you'll be left with finding affordable factory ammo. At least, after all this, you'll know what you are after.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    I say try 100 first. Don't waste that ammo at 50 yards. Use your ball ammo to get sighted in with a scope. You may find the ball ammo shoots a little better than you thought. One variable at a time. Good luck.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD

If you need more Federal GMM we have it in stock

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Ok, I have a couple of boxes of FGMM. I'm going to scope and bench this thing to assess the rife (not me).

Once that's done, what is a decent general-purpose ammunition that doesn't cost a fortune? In this thread, I've been advised to steer clear of "M" series ammo such as M855.

rossiski

Dec 28, 2019
    Carroll County
    No one has mentioned Frontier 75 grain HPBT. I find this ammo to be extremely accurate out of my LWRC varmint .223 Wylde. Worth a try and pricing is reasonable. Was around $.70 a round last time I bought a case.

PeteW

Feb 10, 2021
    Westminster
    Ok, I have a couple of boxes of FGMM. I'm going to scope and bench this thing to assess the rife (not me).

Once that's done, what is a decent general-purpose ammunition that doesn't cost a fortune? In this thread, I've been advised to steer clear of "M" series ammo such as M855.
    PMC bronze or x-tac, wolf gold are generally what I use. PPU and igman aren't bad either, they can just sometimes run a little dirtier but it's not noticeable to me without a suppressor. Norma used to be one of my go-to companies but last year they had a some bad batches in their bulk cans and didn't rectify the problem to customers very well - so I'm giving them another year before I trust then again.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    All guns have their idiosyncrasies so I buy numerous 20 round boxes of assorted brands that falls into the category I need and after seeing which my gun prefers I buy in bulk.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    All guns have their idiosyncrasies so I buy numerous 20 round boxes of assorted brands that falls into the category I need and after seeing which my gun prefers I buy in bulk.
    That's kind of where I'm at now.

I have secured the use of a scope for my bench trials. After I shoot the hoity-toity match ammo, I'll report back. Then I'm going to try a variety of stuff that I have, ranging from 55gr up to 75gr of different manufacturers.

It is becoming apparent that building the rifle was the easy part. Figuring out what it wants and how bad the operator is, is the hard part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom