• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Lolwut

40, 000 men and women everyday (like Romeo and Juliet)
    40, 000 men and women everyday (redefine happiness)
    Another 40, 000 coming everyday (we can be like they are)

I met Boondock Saint in 2013. That alone made the MGA butttfvcking (almost) worthwhile

Did you meet his mom? She came with him. Delightful woman, and you know where BS got his common sense.

That's quite kind of both of you to say. Thank you.

I can say likewise that meeting both of you was certainly at the top of the high points of experiences that I've had here on MDS. Both of you are enormous credits to the community.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    That's quite kind of both of you to say. Thank you.

I can say likewise that meeting both of you was certainly at the top of the high points of experiences that I've had here on MDS. Both of you are enormous credits to the community.
    Kind of you to say, my friend.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I stayed until the last person testified, and went to breakfast with Patrick and dblas, IIRC.

That was an amazing night. I got home from Annapolis at 8AM. We made a huge difference. Anyone saying otherwise is wrong.
    Nowhere did I say that showing up didn't make a difference. The email was a wasted effort. If anyone thinks the legicritters read those emails, they are delusional. Fact is,they did everthing possible to filter out anything gun related. Same goes for the bags of written testimony that I delivered in the following years.

The major give back was the deletion of a vast amount of the over reaching mental health crap. You know that emails had nothing to do with that.

Yep, we ended up with an HQL that cost $50 instead of $100. That's 6" instead of 12"

Yep, we got 16 hr course requirement and 70% on target requirement instead of even more ridiculous requirements. 6" instead of 12".

Yep, we had the 10 rd requirement for handguns changed to whatever a flush mag would hold and the AR15 removed from the banned list. Both were reversed overnight. Full 12".

Exempting one armed war vets from 10 rd limit voted in favor then revoted. 12" for one armed war vets.

1 million emails had no affect on any of it.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Nowhere did I say that showing up didn't make a difference. The email was a wasted effort. If anyone thinks the legicritters read those emails, they are delusional. Fact is,they did everthing possible to filter out anything gun related. Same goes for the bags of written testimony that I delivered in the following years.

The major give back was the deletion of a vast amount of the over reaching mental health crap. You know that emails had nothing to do with that.

Yep, we ended up with an HQL that cost $50 instead of $100. That's 6" instead of 12"

Yep, we got 16 hr course requirement and 70% on target requirement instead of even more ridiculous requirements. 6" instead of 12".

Yep, we had the 10 rd requirement for handguns changed to whatever a flush mag would hold and the AR15 removed from the banned list. Both were reversed overnight. Full 12".

Exempting one armed war vets from 10 rd limit voted in favor then revoted. 12" for one armed war vets.

1 million emails had no affect on any of it.
    We know each other. I like and respect you. We did have an effect. We are the minority. It is likely this could have passes “as-was” from the original bill. We made them uncomfortable. We made them squirm. We made them modify it. Is not what we wanted. It’s better than it could have been.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’ve personally heard new shooters complain about all they need to do “just to purchase a handgun.” I agree, but I think it’s an eye opener to some people who just never cared or believed everything they saw in the “news.”
    I heard some of that too with people in my class.

I doubt we will have 200k by January. I don't think the bandwidth exists for existing and want to be W&C instructors to get 200k trained by January. Let alone I don't think MSP has the manpower to review and approve that many permits by then. At their current pace, MSP seems to be approving somewhere around 400-800 a day during the week and some number of approvals on the weekends (but less). Even at the high end numbers, 7 days a week, that is around 100k permits by January. At the lower number that is around 50k permits by January.

Of course, not including the 25k or so existing permit holders and the probably 12-15k that have been added in the last ~60 days.

Optimistically I think there will be around 70-90k approved by January. I think later this fall we will see application numbers drop off as most of the people who REALLY want to get a permit have finally gotten through training and applied. I think we will continue to see massively higher than yesteryear numbers of people applying. On top of that, people learning they can get a permit, people making friends with someone who has a permit, all of that kind of stuff.

The culture will need to, and WILL change in Maryland. It might not become Texas tomorrow, but over the next few years there will be more and more culture shift about guns and carrying.

I think it is likely over the course of time Maryland may see 200-300k permit holders looking at some states that it has been easy to get a permit. But I think some of it is going to take training being abolished. That cost and time commitment is going to be a bar against tens of thousands of people who would like to have a permit. With the current regulatory and legal scheme to get a W&C permit, I don't think we will see more than maybe 100k, possibly as many as 150k permit holders in the fullness of time (within the next 3 years). If training gets struck or significantly limited, then I think we will see that 200-300k over the next 3-5 years.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    We know each other. I like and respect you. We did have an effect. We are the minority. It is likely this could have passes “as-was” from the original bill. We made them uncomfortable. We made them squirm. We made them modify it. Is not what we wanted. It’s better than it could have been.
    This. No, legislators rarely read emails, phone calls, or letters. Their STAFF usually DOES at least glance at them. Which is why it is important that you start out anything saying "this is so and so from your district. I am against bill ####" or "I am for bill ###" and then insert your reasons.

They DO tally that kind of stuff. Even the liberal ones if they hear from 800 people from their district that they are against some liberal wet dream gun control bill and they hear from 20 MDAs who are pro, that is going to give them some pause. Many of them it will NOT, but plenty of them it will. It will make them more willing to negotiate when Republicans in the MGA come to them.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    If someone submitted on 6/23 and their app number was 11,000... and I just submitted on 8/27 and my app. number is 78700... I believe that's @ 68,000 applications in @ 60 days. There are still in excess of 120ish days left this year. Is my math wrong ...? 100,000 should be a cakewalk by the end of 2022. 3,200 applications were started on 8/27.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Maryland will not change in a generation, if at all. The loosening of permit restrictions will go as slowly as possible, thanks to the effectively single-party status within the state. Depending on how aggressive the prosecutors act toward licensed carriers, acceptance will eventually result to some extent, but it will continue to be fought by the supermajority and their media outlets.

Illinois was a big surprise; it was depressing to see them go Shall Issue years before MD. The culture there is slowly changing, but they do have Republicans in office, not being as effectively gerrymandered as MD. Ultimately, for those over 40, voting with your feet will be the best you can do to get the legislative and socieal environment you prefer.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Maryland will not change in a generation, if at all. The loosening of permit restrictions will go as slowly as possible, thanks to the effectively single-party status within the state. Depending on how aggressive the prosecutors act toward licensed carriers, acceptance will eventually result to some extent, but it will continue to be fought by the supermajority and their media outlets.

Illinois was a big surprise; it was depressing to see them go Shall Issue years before MD. The culture there is slowly changing, but they do have Republicans in office, not being as effectively gerrymandered as MD. Ultimately, for those over 40, voting with your feet will be the best you can do to get the legislative and socieal environment you prefer.
    You hit the nail on the head. In order to keep the momentum going the arm chair conservatives need to get off their butts, register to vote and then vote. Other wise it will be a flash in the pan and that is what the liberals hope.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    That was a long, but fun night....I met some really good people that night, and that session, many have come and gone, and quite a few I count as friends, a few (like you) I count as brothers.
    Like you, my friend, I met a lot of good people that session, and since, as a result of visiting Annapolis over the years.

I was lucky enough to be in the first 50 that got to speak that night. Have forgotten my exact number. I left after I was done, still in shock at the number of people there, and still not realizing the significance of that day.

PEEJAY

Dec 2, 2020
    A court order is a piece of paper the same kind of paper that the original ruling came on. Like I said, if Maryland or any state wanted to ignore the supreme Court ruling nothing would be done about it. The Biden administration controls the Federal law enforcement agencies because they control the department of Justice. Joe Biden has weaponized the department of Justice. If you really think that any of the federal law enforcement agencies would enforce an order from the conservative supreme Court your mistaken. There's no teeth in that order. If you notice the state has no problems already ignoring parts of the ruling. The ruling stated that the only test that could be used to determine whether a person was qualified to hold a concealed carry permit is whether they are prohibited from owning a firearm. Yet the state still is requiring references on their application and training. The ruling said nothing about training. While I believe that there should be some training the supreme Court was clear. The only test that can be used to determine whether a person is qualified to hold a concealed carry permit is if they are prohibited from owning a firearm. They didn't say they had to be trained. I have a friend in New Jersey who says that New Jersey is really dragging their feet in the process and I'm sure other states that did not have shell issue or constitutional carry are doing the same.
    I agree with the first half of this but not the training aspect in the bruen ruling. It didnt say they "had to be" trained but it also didnt say training requirements were unconstitutional. Im not saying i agree with MD reqs on obtaining a permit but its not really going against the new ruling.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    I agree with the first half of this but not the training aspect in the bruen ruling. It didnt say they "had to be" trained but it also didnt say training requirements were unconstitutional. Im not saying i agree with MD reqs on obtaining a permit but its not really going against the new ruling.
    As I recall, the decision said nothing directly about training. But, indirectly having changed the standards to THT, any training requirements should be dropped quickly upon challenge as clearly unconstitutional.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Yep there was no training in 1868 or 1791

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    One might make the argument that in 1868 and 1791 virtually everyone was trained because almost everyone had guns. But that argument would lead to the counter claim that gun training should be taught in schools so everyone was trained. And the liberals would not like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom