• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DeadeyeJack

Supporter of Freedom
    Sep 13, 2009
    Dixie
    I acquired a pristine break top Smith & Wesson that someone found in "grammy's" drawer post mortem. It looked like a 38, but is an obsolete caliber 38 s&w (this was determined by Scott at Scott's). I can find bullets (.359) and dies, but brass is not available. Anyone try using shortened 38sp cases trimmed down?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I acquired a pristine break top Smith & Wesson that someone found in "grammy's" drawer post mortem. It looked like a 38, but is an obsolete caliber 38 s&w (this was determined by Scott at Scott's). I can find bullets (.359) and dies, but brass is not available. Anyone try using shortened 38sp cases trimmed down?
    I thought of that at one point an even bought some .38 Special just for that reason (.38 S&W was almost completely out of production at the time), but I later found out that they are different diameters. The .38 Special parent case was the .38 Colt IIRC and did not progress from the .38 S&W.

YOu can find .38 S&W online now though and the price is actually not bad now when compared to most other handgun ammunition. YOu can probably find it for maybe $23 per box and you can just reuse that brass. The only problem with commercial .38 S&W is it is loaded to smokeless powder pressures which is bad for your S&W (I believe S&W stopped making top breaks before smokeless was common and and were designed for BP .38). So if you want to keep your S&W in great shape, then pull the bullets on the commercial and reload with smokelss but to BP pressures I suggest.
    YOu however can find Cowboy Action .38 which is loaded to proper pressures online, but this is more expensive and often out of stock.

By the way, I'll buy that revolver off of you for $10 ;)
    But seriously, if you name a price I can afford, I will buy that revolver from you because I always wanted a Smith and Wesson top break to add to my top break and antique collection.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    basspro has 38 s&w for some reason behind the counter by the pellet guns

helg

Dec 26, 2008
    There are 38 S&W lots on gunbroker, for once fired and virgin brass. The price is low enough not to think of any caliber conversion.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    There's enough pistols out there in that caliber that I would think there's still significant enough interest in shooting and reloading it to keep the market going. The caliber stayed somewhat popular with Colt and S&W police revolvers through the early part of the 20th Century. The British continued to use it through WW2 but they called it the 38-200. In fact, the Smith & Wesson "Victory" Lend-Lease revolvers that were sent to Britain were chambered in 38 S&W.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    There's enough pistols out there in that caliber that I would think there's still significant enough interest in shooting and reloading it to keep the market going. The caliber stayed somewhat popular with Colt and S&W police revolvers through the early part of the 20th Century. The British continued to use it through WW2 but they called it the 38-200. In fact, the Smith & Wesson "Victory" Lend-Lease revolvers that were sent to Britain were chambered in 38 S&W.

When I first got my first antique .38 S&W Iver Johnson top break I think about eight years ago or less. Back then it was unheard of to find .38 S&W online or in stores. The only way I was able to find some to shoot was a friend of a freind who found half a box stashed away in a cabinet from many years ago who gave it to me.
    About four years ago I noticed some starting to show up online and I have even started seeing some in gun shops in the past few years. For instance, I bought a box from Zeke at the Delmarva Sporting Clays where we have the MDShooters shoots at the last one or one before last (for a good price too). It was a newly, or newer manufactured box of ammo too.
    NOw I see a number of manufacturers for .38 S&W.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    S&W break tops were made from 1880s until 1940s. The later ones used decent steel annd were stronger than most , and fairly strong. Consult the usual resources to determine the age of your gun.
    The factory loads have always been mild, probably due to all the old weak revolvers out there. The R-P ammo has always been in production. Several small mfgs make ammo also, due to the cal's modest popularity in CAS sidematches. Starline makes brass inn this cal.
    The actual S&Ws of this type were well made and comparatively pricey. The H&R and Iver Johnnson (in descending order) were also considered well designed , and reasonably well made porportinate to pice.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The British continued to use it through WW2 but they called it the 38-200.

My father has a Webley chambered in that calibre. He always refered to it as a ".38 short". Would that be widely recognized nomenclature?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There IS a .38 Short, but the .38 S&W isn"t it. The British round has same case dimentions , but their standard bullet wt was first 200 gr< later folowed by a 173 in jacketed.
    In the US .38 S&W origional and most common wt was 146 gr. In 1920s & 30s there was limited popularity of 200gr "Super Police" load. This is what inspired the British, but its popularity in US wained.

DeadeyeJack

Supporter of Freedom
    Sep 13, 2009
    Dixie
    Thanks for the input everyone.
    There was ONE box at Bass Pro.
    It was behind the counter. As an aside, when I asked for it the clerk just said "no" and chuckled. I stated that I had been directed to ask for it and it was behind the counter. He and another guy walked there with me (on the customer side) and lo and behold, he picked it up. All I could say was "that would be it then, wouldn't it."

So I will be firing it this weekend. I'll report back how it was.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    A friend (another forum member too) just gave me about fifty rounds of .38 S&W less than a week ago. I actually have a good supply for all my .38s for once. :thumbsup:

Capt.Link.

COLD SHOT
    Oct 31, 2008
    Silver Spring Md
    There IS a .38 Short, but the .38 S&W isn"t it. The British round has same case dimentions , but their standard bullet wt was first 200 gr< later folowed by a 173 in jacketed.
    In the US .38 S&W origional and most common wt was 146 gr. In 1920s & 30s there was limited popularity of 200gr "Super Police" load. This is what inspired the British, but its popularity in US wained.

I believe the British Webly cartridge was known as the 380 and I'm not confusing it with the .380acp 9mmkurtz

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom