• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    So, I’m kicking around the idea to start casting and reloading for the Winchester 348.

I have the reloading dies, primers, powders, and I’m looking into getting a custom made bullet mold made.

What I’m having trouble finding is the brass.
    It might be a long shot, but if anyone has any 348 brass they like to get rid, I’d be interested.

I’ve been looking at old reloading manuals, and found some info, but if anyone here loads for the 348 I’d appreciate any information or pointers you could give me.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Try the Anique Gun Show this weekend at Timonium. If you have a 348 then it will be worth the trip if you've never been before.
    Did they make a 348 in anything other than the Winchester 71 ?

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Just a thought check at the Castboolits forum, there "mighr" be some there. "Unigue" stuff gets posted for sale some times

Don't know if legit or not..but
    And it aint cheap...

You may want to check out Hibid auction site, some of the auctions has old stuff.

-Rock

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'll bite .

Cast bullets and the .348 are a mature thing . What unique features did you have in mind , not met by the classic molds from Lyman , RCBS , NOI , etc ?

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Try the Anique Gun Show this weekend at Timonium. If you have a 348 then it will be worth the trip if you've never been before.
    Did they make a 348 in anything other than the Winchester 71 ?
    Thanks, I was just thinking that might be a place to find some. Plus I haven’t been to that show for a few years. If nothing else, it’s a good excuse to go.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Just a thought check at the Castboolits forum, there "mighr" be some there. "Unigue" stuff gets posted for sale some times

Don't know if legit or not..but
    And it aint cheap...

You may want to check out Hibid auction site, some of the auctions has old stuff.

-Rock
    Thanks for the tips. I’m a member over at cast bullets, but haven’t posted in years. I did a Quick Look the other day, and came up with nothing. Maybe I’ll post in the “want to buy” section.

Never thought about Hibid, I’ll do some looking. I’ll also check out that link.
    Thanks.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I'll bite .

Cast bullets and the .348 are a mature thing . What unique features did you have in mind , not met by the classic molds from Lyman , RCBS , NOI , etc ?
    RCBS, and Lyman no longer make molds for 348. Some are sizing larger bullets down to to work, but I don’t want to go that route. MP , who makes very nice molds don’t support the caliber either. Accurate molds do, but at that point you might as well go custom. I’ve been in contact with a mould maker, and he said he can make me a 2 cavity mould, with 2 different bullets. One is 220 grain flat base bullet, good for milder loads, and the other is 245 grain gas check bullet. With this mold, I can cover everything I think I will need.
    I’ve been looking on eBay for old Moulds for a while now, and haven’t come across any yet.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I checked just before posting and it was showing in stock. Oh well.
    Yeah, I’ve been searching the internet, for a while for 348 and 44-40. When they show up, they don’t last long. Eventually, I’ll get lucky.
    I have brass for the 44-40, but I’m always looking to add a few more.
    Thanks again.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    The Winchester 71 and Browning 71, are the only two production rifles that use the 348.

On 2nd thought, maybe cimmaron/Uberti, came out with a reproduction of the model 71?

The one that I’m planning on casting/reloading for is a Browning. Just a well built as the Winchester, the action is almost as smooth, but the accuracy is typically better.

tloc45

Dec 29, 2012
    easton
    Hello - I have couple bags of brass with at least 50 unfired cases in unopened bag / new redding dies / couple boxes hornady 220 bullets / shell holders. . If you’re interested .
    i will never use them .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom