• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The only "handgun ban list" is for so-called "assault pistols" like the TEC 9 and 14 others listed by name.

I think he's confusing the Handgun Roster with some sort of "ban list," which it absolutely is not.

The Roster is notorious for being confusing. People have trouble finding particular guns which are there, but listed under names which people didn't think to look for. Perhaps the Poster works in a gun shop...

In any case, the Roster is not a ban list: it's just a moronic infringement.
    What is “banned” are sales of Saturday night specials or particularly dangerous handguns. On the later example, the handgun board is t going to approve a handgun without a trigger guard protecting the trigger.

Possession isn’t illegal. You just can’t sell them in Maryland.

32 and 25 and ANYTHING else is legal for carry or self defense use.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    This is why us dealers get so confused. I KNOW it's on the "Disapproved List", but it's on the roster now? Which one is it, MDSP? I personally just steer clear of this model and refer people to the other options that are available in the caliber without confusion. Not worth getting dinged or risking a license over it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I would *almost* say to ignore anything that fails the Stupidity Test , but unfortunately , too much of actual
    Md Law actually IS Stupid.

But no , this is not one of them . You may indeed carry whatever caliber you so choose .
    I believe at one point, you had to use a .380 or larger for your wear and carry testing.

For "Professional" W&C , ie armed security , private investigators , etc , has minimum caliber . Joe/ Joesphine Public, no caliber requirements .

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    It's illegal to sell cheap potmetal guns in MD. Most of those happen to be in .25 or .22. That's probably where his misconception originated.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    It's illegal to sell cheap potmetal guns in MD. Most of those happen to be in .25 or .22. That's probably where his misconception originated.
    I think it came from misreading the course of fire as noted above. If someone skims rather than thourougly reading one can easily connect sections that do not belong together. The COF for W&C and Security Guards are on the same page - or - bad readers may assume since there is no caliber listing on the W&C COF, the caliber listing elsewhere applies. As proven by the number of instructors that don't even know the required subjects, it's also possible that many or even MOST are just making $hit up

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Btw. There is no need to tell a gun store counter person anything. Not whether you are carrying, whether you pooped this morning or that your girlfriend is hot. 'Do you have any .32 ACP ammo ?' and 'ok, I'll have 3 boxes of X'

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I think it came from misreading the course of fire as noted above. If someone skims rather than thourougly reading one can easily connect sections that do not belong together. The COF for W&C and Security Guards are on the same page - or - bad readers may assume since there is no caliber listing on the W&C COF, the caliber listing elsewhere applies. As proven by the number of instructors that don't even know the required subjects, it's also possible that many or even MOST are just making $hit up

Undoubtedly some of this.

Non brand new Instructors made their bread & butter business doing Instruction , Quals , and ReQuals for Security Companies who don't have inhouse instructors .

But some Instructors feel that it is their legitimate Moral Obligation to take their students from ZERO to an approximation of near competence , limited only by the available hours . This includes drawing handguns of serious caliber , plus .380 .

As long as :

Both Instructors and prospective students are clear what's on offer

Students who don't reach the higher standards , are still given the option to do the Actual COF , and recieve a piece of paper , aka Poll Tax Receipt .

Those factors met , I'm cool with voluntary participation .

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    F*cking Blaster. Always being vague…
    How's this for vague?
    f8c6f818ae6a176e736613bc89daf574.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads