• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    No clue.
    I've never needed a muzzlebrake for .308.

A good friend had a "KDF" muzzlebrake put on his Remington 700 BDL in '06, and it feels like a .223 when shooting Winchester 165 gr hunting ammo!!!!

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    are you planning on any sort of qd mount for a suppressor?

because a suppressor is the best muzzle brake for any caliber. ;)

otherwise, go with whatever looks nicest to you. functionally, the average shooter isn't going to be able to tell much difference (if any) between most brakes on the market at the moment, given a non-magnum caliber.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Griffin makes a nice 7.62 comp. Spikes has a dynacomp for 7.62 as well.

I've used both successfully on my Savage Hog Hunter's. Recoil is non-existent, but more importantly there is no appreciable muzzle rise. It feels like you are glued to the target.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    are you planning on any sort of qd mount for a suppressor?

because a suppressor is the best muzzle brake for any caliber. ;)

otherwise, go with whatever looks nicest to you. functionally, the average shooter isn't going to be able to tell much difference (if any) between most brakes on the market at the moment, given a non-magnum caliber.
    No, I wasn't planning on that. However, do the QD brakes work as well as the standard ones?

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    Griffin makes a nice 7.62 comp. Spikes has a dynacomp for 7.62 as well.

I've used both successfully on my Savage Hog Hunter's. Recoil is non-existent, but more importantly there is no appreciable muzzle rise. It feels like you are glued to the target.
    Since the Griffin and Spikes are very similar in design, do they work as well as this design? Better or worse?

Attachments

• JPTRE-5.58B.875-2.jpg
      JPTRE-5.58B.875-2.jpg
      8.7 KB · Views: 329

Robert Avery

Sep 1, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I have the JP Tactical on my 308 REPR and it is very close to the Ben Cooley design and works so good that the first time I shot my REPR I had to look at the rifle to make sure that I had my 308 in my hands!

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    I just snagged a YHM phantom 7.62 brake (yes, brake, not the flash hider) with the provision for their QD suppressor for my 700. :)

I didn't wanna post anything about it till after I made the purchase just to ensure they still had some in stock when I went to buy it, because holy hell that thing is hard to find.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Would you guys avoid a 20MOA base if you didn't think you'd ever shoot over 500 yards?

Why not do it? As long as you zero at 100 yards in case you hunt there is zero problem with it IMO.

Hell, I put a 25moa base on my 17hmr. Now that I think about it, I only own 1 rifle with a zero MOA base.

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    Why not do it? As long as you zero at 100 yards in case you hunt there is zero problem with it IMO.

Hell, I put a 25moa base on my 17hmr. Now that I think about it, I only own 1 rifle with a zero MOA base.

This :thumbsup: I run 20 moa base on my all my bolt 308s keep a 100yd zero and with a 10x leupold m-1 mark 4 have adjustment out to 1100yds. As far as the brake if you are running a 24" or more barrel have you considered having a good smith make you a custom threaded brake with your barrel?

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.

This :thumbsup: I run 20 moa base on my all my bolt 308s keep a 100yd zero and with a 10x leupold m-1 mark 4 have adjustment out to 1100yds. As far as the brake if you are running a 24" or more barrel have you considered having a good smith make you a custom threaded brake with your barrel? Btw I love the 700 pss also, I used one in sniper school anc it was a tack driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom