• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I've had good results with IMR-4895 for mid-range loads, but it's a little temperature sensitive for longer range work. This is because of velocity variations due to varying powder temps having vertical effects that don't become troublesome until you get out there a ways.

MDCXD

Nov 27, 2008
    Mt. Airy
    That may explain some of my verticals this past weekend. A few shots I was just kind of scratching my head, thinking where did that come from.

Thanks for the info.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Mike, with IMR 4895 at 1,000 yards, I could induce 2.5 MOA (!!) of vertical by getting my cartridges from the rifle magazine @ 20o or from a pants pocket @ 80o. Even without those extremes, it doesn't take much cook time in a hot chamber can toss one out of the 10.

By contrast, Varget is so stable, it may even chrono slightly higher at cooler temps, oddly enough.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Mike, with IMR 4895 at 1,000 yards, I could induce 2.5 MOA (!!) of vertical by getting my cartridges from the rifle magazine @ 20o or from a pants pocket @ 80o. Even without those extremes, it doesn't take much cook time in a hot chamber can toss one out of the 10.

By contrast, Varget is so stable, it may even chrono slightly higher at cooler temps, oddly enough.

Now for a guy who has yet to shoot past 300yds, IMR should work ok for now? I did pick up 1lb of Varget, but have yet to crack it as I have some 4350 left I used for plinking loads (110's and 150's I got free from my step father). I now have a couple hundred 168 smk and 100 175's as well I'm stashing for when I do get to shoot a bit farther.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Now for a guy who has yet to shoot past 300yds, IMR should work ok for now? I did pick up 1lb of Varget, but have yet to crack it as I have some 4350 left I used for plinking loads (110's and 150's I got free from my step father). I now have a couple hundred 168 smk and 100 175's as well I'm stashing for when I do get to shoot a bit farther.
    I wouldn't sweat it for inside 400-500 yards, especially if conditions are moderate. I had good accuracy and it's not bad powder, it's just that the requirements for long range consistency preclude it's use IMO.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I wouldn't sweat it for inside 400-500 yards, especially if conditions are moderate. I had good accuracy and it's not bad powder, it's just that the requirements for long range consistency preclude it's use IMO.

Thank you sir. We picked up some 4350 over a year ago b/c in the very old loading manual my step father uses 4350 was a top choice back them. 4395 was another, and Varget wasn't even out/on the list :D Got me a new manual and up to date powder charges so I can move forward accordingly.

Anyway, I've heard Varget is great for 308 in general, and I'll probably move my purchasing that way as needed. For what I do for now, I think I should be ok. I want to get my technique down first and tweek my rifle a bit before I even try out past 500yds. Need better glass and stock next me thinks :thumbsup:

gen1runner

Mar 13, 2009
    Cecil-tuckey
    I use this to experiment with my loads.... http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

That being said I get sub .5 MOA(100yrds) out of my Remmy sps tac using IMR 4064 AND 4895 using SMK HPBT 168's.

Im loading up some 168,155,175's with IMR and Vargat now to try out.

Im very much a rookie at reloading and a precision rifle platform, I really need to get out to a 500yrd range to see how I do.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I use this to experiment with my loads.... http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

That being said I get sub .5 MOA(100yrds) out of my Remmy sps tac using IMR 4064 AND 4895 using SMK HPBT 168's.

Im loading up some 168,155,175's with IMR and Vargat now to try out.

Im very much a rookie at reloading and a precision rifle platform, I really need to get out to a 500yrd range to see how I do.

I'm using the same rifle and starting to try loads for smk bthps in 168 and 175 with 4895 and then Varget. We should hit the range sometime and share recipes :thumbsup:

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Here are some that I have tried:
    Brass Primer Powder Charge Bullet
    Lapua CCI-200 IMR4895 39.6 Lapua 185gr. Scenar Silver CHPBT
    " " IMR4064 39.4 Lapua 185gr Scenar HPBT
    " " IMR8208 37.6 Lapua 185gr Scenar Silver CHPBT
    " " IMR4064 44.2 Sierra 168gr HPBT
    " " IMR4895 43.7 "
    " " IMR8208 42.6 "
    LC-77M " IMR4895 40.5 " < -- M1A Rifle
    LC-77M " IMR4064 41.5 " "
    IMI-new CCI-200 above loads for LC brass haven't shot yet

Rifle used:
    Custom: Rem 700 Action 24" Hart SS Heavy, McMill stock <--nothing fancy
    Rem 700 Tac - factory

Ran out of 8208

Haven't had time to try other loads yet. I don't go to range, shoot on farm

Buldozer

Nov 23, 2008
    On the Creek
    My sps tactical loves this, 42 grains reloader 15, 168 matchking at 2.8 overall was out shooting me yesterday. Awesome load in my buddys 5-r too. Try at your own risk. :D

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I can't get Varget from my supplier right now, on b/o, but do have some R15 that I am going to try with the 168 smk. With my schedule it may be a while before I get around to it, but I will post my results.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Midcounty, I've had really good results shooting 43.5 grains of reloader 15 under a 175gr SMK out of my 700P.

Good to hear. I haven't heard much in regards to R15 and it's sensetivity to temperature. Is it as good as Varget in that regard? At the rate I am going it may be months before I get around to working with my 308 loading. I have some work to get caught up on, then a handful of rifles to build in 300 whisper, and then maybe I can make some time to play with my 308.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    I have the same model (Rem 700 SPS Tac 20" blued barrel) with overmold stock. I just started reloading in October of last year and wanted to burn the barrel in a bit so I reloaded SMK 150 HPBT's with 43.3 Gr of IMR 4064 and WLR primers. I used a Lee Loader and did about 200 rounds by hand (my wife thinks I'm off my rocker). I shoot only 5 round groups to try and get a good feel for what the rounds are actually doing and most of my groups the last time I was out were .4 to .6 inches at 100 Yds. Only one group out of the last 10 was larger than 1.1" so I'm getting ready to start loading 168 SMK's. I'll post how it goes.

I've read a little on Snipers Hide that the 20" barrel likes the 168's more than the 175's but the kid down at Hap Baker this morning with the 5R said much of the military has changed over to the heaver bullet so I may try that out as well. It's all hearsay till I get trigger time with them though.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Welcome to the forum, axshon.

The 20" barrel doesn't care if they're 168s or 175s. I have a 20" .308, a Remington LTR, that I take to almost 1,200 yards with 175 grain bullets. It shoots slightly tighter close-range groups with 168 SMKs, but they don't stay out of the trans-sonic zone beyond about 800 yards under most conditions I shoot in.

The biggest difference I see with the shorter barrel is in increased wind and drop due to velocity loss. I run a 26" .308 too and there is a noticeable change in elevation needed at distance.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Good to hear. I haven't heard much in regards to R15 and it's sensetivity to temperature. Is it as good as Varget in that regard? At the rate I am going it may be months before I get around to working with my 308 loading. I have some work to get caught up on, then a handful of rifles to build in 300 whisper, and then maybe I can make some time to play with my 308.

I haven't noticed any major deviation when shooting it in the cold or hot weather.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I haven't noticed any major deviation when shooting it in the cold or hot weather.

I will have a go at it soon. I just took the rifle out to 600yds with 168gr Hornady TAP ammo this weekend, and was rather impressed for an out of the box rifle with box ammo. I shot 4 to 6 inch groups there. Now it's time to try and start dialing it in a little tighter ;)

buffalobob

Dec 10, 2009
    DC
    One thing to watch with Varget is the lot #s. Different lots can cause you problems if you are working at maximum load.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Thanks E.Shell,

I don't have near access to anything out to 1,200 yards and at this stage I can't afford the optics that would get me there anyway. Good info for sure but now that I have a few boxes of 168 SMK I'll be plinking that looking for the tightest group possible out to 200 and 300 yds.

When I discuss with guys from my former battalion STA team, they agree that the 168 gets a solid 1 MOA (or less) out to 800 in perfect conditions but not beyond even with the 24" barrel. Good to know the 175 goes farther and confirms my own amateur math on the subject.

I expect that when I take the SPS hunting I'll be looking at under 300 yard shots so the match bullets are as much for making sure that I have my technique as ingrained as possible as anything. Someday I'll think about competing but not yet. Still looking for a good ballistic match to the 168 SMK in a hunting round...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom