300whisper, 300 blackout or 9mm subsonics?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I vote Option D... 7.62x25 Tokarev. Use a magwell block and PPS mags for standard 7.62x25. Use standard AR mags for 7.62x25 brass loaded with 168-200gr or bigger .308 projectiles.

762_x_25_group.sized.jpg

okay....that's cool:thumbsup:

although the heavier rifle projectiles won't "expand" at those velocities, what about yawing. When they turn sideways, that's one wide hole it's boring through something. How reliably will they yaw within 8-14" of soft tissue?

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    I would go 300 Blackout all the way. Remington owns AAC and is backing the production and we're getting alot of LE inquires. Seems like its going to be a serious "real" round. Not to mention the 762SDN-6...

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    the 7.62x39 with heavy projos works, but you must be careful of barrel twist, especially at low velocities.

i'm thinking about doing this trick with a Yugo underfolder AK. big honkin can that can handle the full auto full power stuff and be real quiet with hand-rolled subsonics.

i like AKs, so take my AR hating with a grain of salt.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I'm going with the blackout as well. I wonder what is the optimized barrel length for 220 grain subsonics. It will be a dedicated suppressed upper and I have no plans of shooting high velocity rounds out of it.

Again, Suppressed weapons like short barrels. A 16" is the most versatile as it can go on any lower. But chances are, it may on occasion break the sound barrier. I think a 9-10" in 1:8 twist will be nice threaded 5/8x24tpi. I can use a YHM 308 phantom or an SWR trident.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    SCAR,

When you get the upper, as long as it is subsonic only, it can be tuned and tweaked a bit to allow for the "sweet spot" load to cycle.

I'd get a longer upper to allow for you to run it on any lower you want and also to increase the dwell time and hopefully up the reliability of the gas system. Suppressor helps, but it is no substitute for longer BBL. The other thing is that when you shorten the barrel you have to use a faster burning powder to avoid having large amounts of powder still burning in the suppressor (louder and effs with both reliability and accuracy). To get the quietest rig u can, I'd go 16" and then the gun can be played with.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    I'm going with the blackout as well. I wonder what is the optimized barrel length for 220 grain subsonics.

I think a 9-10" in 1:8 twist will be nice threaded 5/8x24tpi. I can use a YHM 308 phantom or an SWR trident.

IIRC, the 9" barrel is the length they did the testing on.

10" with a YHM is what I'll own in the future. Something for wacking deer with out waking people up.

<Mach1

Past the Vanishing Point
    Mar 3, 2008
    Will the subsonic load cycle the 10" upper without a can?
    From Noveske, regardless of barrel length:
    "~ designed to run optimally firing both subsonic suppressed and supersonic unsuppressed, while keeping supersonic suppressed reliable. It may not reliably cycle the action under adverse conditions with subsonic ammunition unless a silencer is attached ~"

frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    I'd go 300 blackout personally, then save for a while and pick up a Gen 2 NV optic for it...perfect for hog hunting! Could also skip the NV and slap anything of choice on it...

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I just built a .300blackout with a noveske 10" and a vltor mid-length monolithic rail. BCM FA BCG, PRI gasbuster CH and an a-2 birdcage (pending delivery of AAC 7.62SDN-6).

Anyone seen ammo anywhere other than subsonic?

Handloading 110 Vmax's would be awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom