• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadhawg

Bee Farmer
    Jul 18, 2014
    Free America
    Picked up a cutoff saw from Harbor freight this evening and ordered a jig from eBay, I should be setup for brass transformation in a few days.

Time to order a case trimmer now...................

Attachments

• prep.jpg
      prep.jpg
      48.6 KB · Views: 413

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    What is the general consensus on using .310/.311 cal. pills for 300bo in an AR? Copper fouling/over pressure/accuracy ?
    I used this thread since it has a simple or general title.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I'm not sure what slugging a barrel is. And this is the fastest I've seen a 110gr. round advertised, seems new and unavailable to most of us. 2550 fps sub moa. Interesting.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    They are for the AK round (and a few others), not the 300AAC. The bore size is different and I would definitely not load them in jacketed boolits in a 300. I do load cast boolits this size range, but they are lead, not jacketed.

The 7.62x39 is a different animal all together, with the bullets being typically .311 (- .002), whereas the 300AAC (7.62 x 35) is a true 7.62 (.309 -.003)

Here are the SAAMI specs for the 300blackout... read them and adhere... LOL

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC_Drawings/Rifle/300%20AAC%20Blackout.pdf

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I was going by what I read on 300blacktalk forum, it seemed too many were happy with them so ... thought I would ask. I know they are for the AK.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Are they bimetallic ?
    I would be double worried If they were bimetallic as well as oversized.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    A heavy bullet in a subsonic loading may be doable, but I wouldn't run oversized bullets in a supersonic load for fear of overpressure. That is why I cast my own blackout bullets to load, mainly for subs... they are cheap.. lol

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Well I finally broke down and bought the chop saw and jig combo today. What do you guys prefer to trim with? I was thinking of a Little Crow. They now come with changeable heads. What say you all?(Let's keep it reasonable, shall we?)

CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    Little crow in a drill press (like at the top of this page) kills it. I wouldn't get changeable heads. Once you get the trimmer length set, you don't want to mess with it. Clean out the trimmer every 25 cases or so, just a blast of air.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Looks like a great start. I don't reload, but I do collect or give my brass away to reloaders. If you see me (or any other chubby, older guy with short hair), shooting a 300BLK, don't be bashful about asking me for my brass. I'd rather let you grab it than have to pick it up, and store it in ziplock bags to give it away.

I guess I could resell it, but I meet so many super nice people on the ranges that let me shoot their toys, and shoot mine, that it wouldn't feel right; at least not for what little recreational shooting I do.

I'm currently dumping my 5.56 brass, but keeping anything larger; should I be keeping 5.56 as well?

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    Looks like a great start. I don't reload, but I do collect or give my brass away to reloaders. If you see me (or any other chubby, older guy with short hair), shooting a 300BLK, don't be bashful about asking me for my brass. I'd rather let you grab it than have to pick it up, and store it in ziplock bags to give it away.

I guess I could resell it, but I meet so many super nice people on the ranges that let me shoot their toys, and shoot mine, that it wouldn't feel right; at least not for what little recreational shooting I do.

I'm currently dumping my 5.56 brass, but keeping anything larger; should I be keeping 5.56 as well?

Dumping as in throwing away, or giving away?

I would keep all your brass and offer it members if you are not wanting to sell it.

I created a pay it forward thread in reloading section, it never took off here. On other sites it's a huge success, reloaders helping reloaders.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Dumping as in throwing away, or giving away?

I would keep all your brass and offer it members if you are not wanting to sell it.

I created a pay it forward thread in reloading section, it never took off here. On other sites it's a huge success, reloaders helping reloaders.

I totally believe in helping others, and even though I'm not a reloader, it goes full circle. I can't count the number of new shooters I've given my time, experience, ammo and use of my guns to over the years.

By 'dumping', I mean picking up and putting my spent shells in the appropriate bucket on the various ranges I shoot at. It's not wasted, but for the most part I think they sort it, or sell it for scrap. It helps the clubs.

Just as often I'll shoot with someone and can tell they are a reloader and offer them my brass. Works out for everyone.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter

Todays 5.56 brass is tomorrow's 300 blk brass. I reload both.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom