30 day wait email from MSP (if you're not a collector)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RealtorMatt

Take this for what it's worth, and I certainly don't guarantee anything but I thought you all might like to be aware of this.

My sitaution is that I bought a firearm on 1/7/13 and due to the backlog, was not able to pick up until 2/1.

On 2/9 (at the same FFL), I found another firearm I wanted. I went ahead and filled out the paperwork and submitted it. I am NOT a collector (yet). I was told at the time that I should be fine because they won't get around to processing it until my 30 days is up anyway.

I have now seen some conflicting reports on whether or not I was able to do that. My FFL said I should be fine, but many folks says I shouldn't have done it and to expect a denial.

I sent an email into MSP and here was their response:

MSP Firearms Registration -State Police- (sent by jack.mccauley@maryland.gov)

7:18 PM (14 hours ago)

You are okay with submitting the application. The purchase will be the date you pick it up.

So take it for what it's worth, but it looks like you don't have to wait 30 days AFTER you pick up your firearm in this backlog environment to submit an application for a new one.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You could have bought five or more regulated guns and submitted an equal number of applications at the same. No matter when the paperwork comes back, even if it came back the next day in a dream world, as long as you receive one gun at a time no sooner than 30 days apart, there's no issue. (to keep the discussion less complicated, that's ignoring the 60-day "discount" rule when you buy and later receive two regulated guns at once to save on paperwork cost).

RealtorMatt

Thanks Boom Boom, that is good info

When I had posed this question before there were quite a few folks that said I wasn't allowed to do that and I had to wait 30 days from my last pickup to even submit the paperwork. I just wanted to help clear any kind of confusion for those folks!

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The 30-day rule only applies to you receiving (being handed) a regulated gun by your FFL. No paperwork submission restrictions, except in your case you or your FFL would (should) have checked off the extra box on the MD paperwork about having already purchased one in the past 30 days. It's no big deal. Standard routine for MSP and should be for most FFLs. Good luck with whatever you bought.

Mike H

Jan 9, 2013
    I appreciate you taking the time to include the actual response from MSP. I was concerned that they would somehow measure from the day you picked up the first firearm to the day you completed/signed the paperwork for the second.
    thanks again

AR15Fan

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 8, 2012
    Isn't that long of a wait a statutory violation? I am not a lawyer, but doesn't the law say they have to respond within 7 days?

Everywhere we turn we are screwed.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    but doesn't the law say they have to respond within 7 days?

MD law says nothing of the sort. MD law requires a 7-day minimum wait time to receive a regulated gun. MD law does not compel MSP to respond within that time frame. You must wait whichever takes longer.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    You could have bought five or more regulated guns and submitted an equal number of applications at the same. No matter when the paperwork comes back, even if it came back the next day in a dream world, as long as you receive one gun at a time no sooner than 30 days apart, there's no issue. (to keep the discussion less complicated, that's ignoring the 60-day "discount" rule when you buy and later receive two regulated guns at once to save on paperwork cost).

Glad you said that.

It's difficult to figure that out without it being stated explicitly. A while back a trooper at MSP ended up explaining the same thing to me when I called to check on my collector's status.

I have my collector's approval now so the point is moot for me but I still wasn't ever able to find any documentation that clearly laid that point out. The 60 day rule is easy to find but, other than that, they don't really advertise it.

RealtorMatt

Do they have a copy of your collector application?

http://www.dsd.state.md.us/COMAR/getfile.aspx?file=29.03.01.04.htm

I. If the individual is not prohibited by federal or State law from purchasing or possessing a regulated firearm, the notarized application shall be sufficient for a designation as a collector.

Interesting...

I know they have it and it was certainly notarized. I just figured I'd get back a number or something I would have to put down if I noted I was a collector.

JCKnauer22

Feb 7, 2013
    Middle River
    what about this part?

M. An individual must be designated as a collector by the Secretary before applying to purchase multiple regulated firearms as a collector.

i'm not trying to be a smart ass, i'm just asking. i filled out my application yesterday so this all applies to my current situation

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom