• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I wouldn't choose 3rd burst over FA but if you can have both why not?

I really don't like having the selector swing all the way around. You can't flip it to position. You have to rotate it to position. Just something I found out when using the kit on one of the M16s at the range. If I had a FNC or another gun with a different selector setup I might go for it. However I don't like it on the M16

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I really don't like having the selector swing all the way around. You can't flip it to position. You have to rotate it to position. Just something I found out when using the kit on one of the M16s at the range. If I had a FNC or another gun with a different selector setup I might go for it. However I don't like it on the M16

HK style fits the bill.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Every still, just one more position to switch through to get to correct position...

I don't use the safety on anything besides my carry pistol. I leave my Mac on full and practice rotating to semi in case I needed to make an accurate shot or long distance.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    As others stated, yes its perfectly legal to do. The real question is why do it? Yeah its a cool feature to have I guess but do you really want something limiting you to three rounds? Why not just take quick trigger pulls. Also I believe with the way these 3 round burst work, is that if you shoot two shots, you will follow up with a single. In other words you are not reset to three rounds if you are quick on the trigger. The whole idea of three round burst was to limit Soldiers fire capacity so they would not dump mags. Well thats a third party limiting the soldier. Why limit yourself? Just learn proper trigger control and save the cost of the burst kit. From what I hear, most get it, install it and removed it fairly quickly. It makes the selector kind of a pain as it can now turn a full 360. I have a M16 coming and decided against this feature, for what its worth.

You are right about the 1 round reset and I agree with your whole post. I opted against it also. 3 round burst was a hazard in combat as a user would only have 1 round next time the trigger was pulled if he/she only fired 2. Not the easiest thing to keep track of in a combat situation.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I don't use the safety on anything besides my carry pistol. I leave my Mac on full and practice rotating to semi in case I needed to make an accurate shot or long distance.

As you know, I do the same, never fully trusting any safety other than my finger not to pull the trigger. If you know your gun is always hot, you treat it like its always hot and can't forget that the safety is off.

Rico, Yes thats my understanding of it too.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    You are right about the 1 round reset and I agree with your whole post. I opted against it also. 3 round burst was a hazard in combat as a user would only have 1 round next time the trigger was pulled if he/she only fired 2. Not the easiest thing to keep track of in a combat situation.

The burst kit on my FNC resets each time to 3rds, even if you only pop off 1 or 2 rounds.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    if 3 round burst is put into guns with really high cyclic rates, ( mac, micro uzi, P90 etc) then it would be awesome.

I could see that making a lot of sense, especially with new subgun shooters. Do such fire control groups even exist though? I'm hardly an NFA expert, but I've never heard of 3-round burst in a subgun.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    After shooting my FNC with a three round burst I'd have to agree that it's more of a novelty. There's simply too much recoil with a rifle caliber to get all three rounds consistently on target at medium ranges. Full auto rifle caliber (non-subsonic) firearms in my opinion, are for suppressive fire on a larger enemy forces. However for sub caliber machine guns in a CQB fashion i could see the benefit for close double/triple taps. 300 blank out on a three round burst for CQB would probably be pretty sweet. That's just my opinion.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I think Lage built a prototype 3 round burst closed bolt Mac but the increased recoil from being a closed bolt meant the gun made the gun rise too much.

Blueclawz

Bottom Feeder
    Jun 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    Yes, its legal as long as your weapon is a RR (Registered Receiver).

As many people pointed out already - Burst sucks! In 5.56/7.62 calibers it really sucks. In 9mm/45 its marginal at best. I had a Colt RO635 and it had the Semi/Burst/Auto setup...I always found myself using auto or semi..burst just didn't do anything that a well controlled trigger couldn't already do.

Speaking of triggers...Giessele SSF will change your opinion on FA trigger groups.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Instead of a 3 round burst mechanism . I modded my RR16 with a ferfrans SOAR bolt assembly . The Delayed SEAR trip reduces the rate of fire to about 670 RPM. This allows singles, double and triple taps easy.

The addidition of an edinine buffer further drops the ROF that is similar to a grease gun. Slowing down the ROF is much better than using a 3 round burst feature.

http://www.falconops.net/index.php?route=store/product&product_id=218

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Yes, its legal as long as your weapon is a RR (Registered Receiver).

As many people pointed out already - Burst sucks! In 5.56/7.62 calibers it really sucks. In 9mm/45 its marginal at best. I had a Colt RO635 and it had the Semi/Burst/Auto setup...I always found myself using auto or semi..burst just didn't do anything that a well controlled trigger couldn't already do.

Speaking of triggers...Giessele SSF will change your opinion on FA trigger groups.

Yes it will:thumbsup:

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Instead of a 3 round burst mechanism . I modded my RR16 with a ferfrans SOAR bolt assembly . The Delayed SEAR trip reduces the rate of fire to about 670 RPM. This allows singles, double and triple taps easy.

The addidition of an edinine buffer further drops the ROF that is similar to a grease gun. Slowing down the ROF is much better than using a 3 round burst feature.

http://www.falconops.net/index.php?route=store/product&product_id=218

Have you tried the LaRue gas tubes by any chance for a carbine? My FA nut friend swears by them to reduce muzzle rise and is a big Edinine buffer fan also. I have a couple of sets of each but have not installed them yet. I'll need a smith to install the tubes as he's to busy at work to do it for me. He also said they weren't making those buffers any more. Do you know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom