• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    @Abulg1972 Wow, I wish I would have thought of that when I was paying money out of my own pocket for paint so America's soldiers under my command could have a cleanly painted room to live in because the Army was too cheap to buy paint. Then again, back in the day, I gave my drivers my own personal money to power wash our military vehicle off post so they would not have to stay late into the evening hand scrubbing clean the military vehicle we lived in while defending the Rights of Americans. I guess I should have used the money for my family and been an inconsiderate prick officer who could care less about the soldiers working for him and cared less how much time they got to spend with their family. Now that I think of what you said, I should no longer say with pride that I was fortunate to have some of the finest generator mechanics in the Army working under me when we won an Army Maintenance Award for the maintenance program I implemented, not to mention the fact that one of the annual soldiers who competed for and won the coveted title of United States Army Europe (USAREUR) Soldier of the Year worked for me. My point here is using your logic I should have encouraged my generator mechanics to take less pride in their work. I should have stopped them from spending their own money on the paint and wax they were buying to paint and polish every Army generator they finished servicing because they wanted them to look brand new after they were done working on them.

More importantly, imagine how foolish I should feel now using your logic when I consider the years I spent as a civilian for the Army. How stupid it was of me to donate at least 10,000 hours of my time as unpaid labor so Americans could sleep at night knowing the "bad guys" will never reach America simply because I reached my government earning cap for a number of pay periods. I distinctly recall a year when I donated 1,800 hours of unpaid labor because of what happened the next year.

Of course, I should have thought about what you said when I was volunteering my time to teach young Americans how to shoot properly. Think of the money I could have saved on the ammunition I bought for them to use and the wear and tear on my private firearms that could have been prevented all because I volunteered.

Then again, I should have been thinking about what you said during all the many years I volunteered my time to coach youth baseball and youth football. The money I could have saved on donations for the under privileged kids who couldn't afford the fees or the money and time I gave to help improve these youth organizations. It was pretty foolish of me to buy flag poles so the American flag, Maryland flag, and organization flag could proudly wave at each event we hosted. Of course, my friend who donated the American flag which flew over Hussein's Palace for that youth organization to herald was a complete and total loser. Not to mention the foolish Boy Scouts I convinced to volunteer their time to install the flag poles as part of their community service requirement.

You know, there was a whole lot of money I spent doing the "right thing" for people when it could have been used to feed my children and wife. In fact, since I had a skill of value, I guess you would say that I foolishly volunteered my time so others could benefit from my experience and expertise.

Please accept my greatest thanks for teaching me how self-centered America has become. Of course, should you ever find that you or your family are in a position of being served by a volunteer, please be sure to remind them of how foolish they are being. I would suggest that you get on your knees and pray daily you or your family will never need blood for medical reasons. I know how disappointed you will feel at the thought that the life-saving blood was given freely and unselfishly by a volunteer.

Again, please allow me to thank you for showing me how myopic it was of me for having given so much to even consider thinking a lawyer would step-up and do something like help hold immoral and corrupt LEOs and prosecutors accountable, not to mention preserving our Rights supposedly preserved under the Constitution. Especially when more than half of Maryland's attorneys have an income greater than $85k (http://www1.salary.com/Attorney-I-salary.html). Then again, they wouldn't just be helping me would they? I can't help but think that their service would help to mitigate the risk that they or anyone they care about would never have to go through what I went through. Yes indeed, please accept my greatest thanks for teaching me how self-centered America has become.

As for me, I can say I defended our Rights against a gang of immoral and corrupt LEOs and prosecutors! Of course, as some one else said regarding my post, the "$1 million question" is what contributions you have personally made to making America better during your lifetime? Well, never mind, we both know the answer to that question, don't we ;)

Why don't you start this thread over by being forthright and post a link to the case summary. Lay it all out there for us to consider. Tell us all the charge.s. Explain how you won.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    @Abulg1972 Wow, I wish I would have thought of that when I was paying money out of my own pocket for paint so America's soldiers under my command could have a cleanly painted room to live in because the Army was too cheap to buy paint. Then again, back in the day, I gave my drivers my own personal money to power wash our military vehicle off post so they would not have to stay late into the evening hand scrubbing clean the military vehicle we lived in while defending the Rights of Americans. I guess I should have used the money for my family and been an inconsiderate prick officer who could care less about the soldiers working for him and cared less how much time they got to spend with their family. Now that I think of what you said, I should no longer say with pride that I was fortunate to have some of the finest generator mechanics in the Army working under me when we won an Army Maintenance Award for the maintenance program I implemented, not to mention the fact that one of the annual soldiers who competed for and won the coveted title of United States Army Europe (USAREUR) Soldier of the Year worked for me. My point here is using your logic I should have encouraged my generator mechanics to take less pride in their work. I should have stopped them from spending their own money on the paint and wax they were buying to paint and polish every Army generator they finished servicing because they wanted them to look brand new after they were done working on them.

More importantly, imagine how foolish I should feel now using your logic when I consider the years I spent as a civilian for the Army. How stupid it was of me to donate at least 10,000 hours of my time as unpaid labor so Americans could sleep at night knowing the "bad guys" will never reach America simply because I reached my government earning cap for a number of pay periods. I distinctly recall a year when I donated 1,800 hours of unpaid labor because of what happened the next year.

Of course, I should have thought about what you said when I was volunteering my time to teach young Americans how to shoot properly. Think of the money I could have saved on the ammunition I bought for them to use and the wear and tear on my private firearms that could have been prevented all because I volunteered.

Then again, I should have been thinking about what you said during all the many years I volunteered my time to coach youth baseball and youth football. The money I could have saved on donations for the under privileged kids who couldn't afford the fees or the money and time I gave to help improve these youth organizations. It was pretty foolish of me to buy flag poles so the American flag, Maryland flag, and organization flag could proudly wave at each event we hosted. Of course, my friend who donated the American flag which flew over Hussein's Palace for that youth organization to herald was a complete and total loser. Not to mention the foolish Boy Scouts I convinced to volunteer their time to install the flag poles as part of their community service requirement.

You know, there was a whole lot of money I spent doing the "right thing" for people when it could have been used to feed my children and wife. In fact, since I had a skill of value, I guess you would say that I foolishly volunteered my time so others could benefit from my experience and expertise.

Please accept my greatest thanks for teaching me how self-centered America has become. Of course, should you ever find that you or your family are in a position of being served by a volunteer, please be sure to remind them of how foolish they are being. I would suggest that you get on your knees and pray daily you or your family will never need blood for medical reasons. I know how disappointed you will feel at the thought that the life-saving blood was given freely and unselfishly by a volunteer.

Again, please allow me to thank you for showing me how myopic it was of me for having given so much to even consider thinking a lawyer would step-up and do something like help hold immoral and corrupt LEOs and prosecutors accountable, not to mention preserving our Rights supposedly preserved under the Constitution. Especially when more than half of Maryland's attorneys have an income greater than $85k (http://www1.salary.com/Attorney-I-salary.html). Then again, they wouldn't just be helping me would they? I can't help but think that their service would help to mitigate the risk that they or anyone they care about would never have to go through what I went through. Yes indeed, please accept my greatest thanks for teaching me how self-centered America has become.

As for me, I can say I defended our Rights against a gang of immoral and corrupt LEOs and prosecutors! Of course, as some one else said regarding my post, the "$1 million question" is what contributions you have personally made to making America better during your lifetime? Well, never mind, we both know the answer to that question, don't we ;)

There are some attorneys out there that will take this case on a pro bono basis IF it is a good case. They aren't going to put a ton of their time and effort into a case that they think is a complete loser.

I don't deal with civil rights matters whatsoever in a civil litigation environment, other than just to read about them. For this type of case, on a pro bono basis, or even a 100% contingency fee basis, you have got to have one heck of a good case and then you will have to do a bunch of pavement pounding to find the right attorney. I don't think there is a single attorney on this board that handles these types of cases as part of his/her practice area, so they would be out of their element even thinking about taking this case.

You really need to search outside of this board. Maybe go to the pro bono help center at your county courthouse and ask them if they know of any civil rights attorneys that do pro bono work. There are pro bono agencies in every county. It sucks that your defense attorney firm would not take your matter on a pro bono basis, or even a 100% contingency fee basis, after you paid for it to defend you, but that firm is well aware of the facts too, which the rest of us are not. Only that firm knows exactly why it did not take the case, which could be because the civil case is a loser or there just isn't enough money in the case even if it is a winner, and taking it on a pro bono basis is out of the question because boat mortgages and kids college tuition needs to be paid.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I know pro Bono means free. I thought contingency means the lawyer only gets paid if he wins.

Your understanding is correct but as has been said above, it is not reasonable for someone to expect a lawyer to take on a case on a contingency basis that he believes he likely won't win. That's the same as asking him to work for free. These cases cost a ton of money and require a ton of time. There has to be some decent chance at a pot at the end of the rainbow for anyone to take it. No lawyer is going to take that kind of case for purely altruistic reasons. A guy has to keep the lights on.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    After reading that part it also makes me curious about something. Is it okay for the judge in the civil case to make their own assumptions about they think of the criminal case.
    I.E. they got off on a technicality but the judge still feels they're guilty. Or, after the dismissal of the criminal case is the judge supposes to act like nothing happened?

You most likely will not have the same judge for the criminal case and civil case. Further, the civil trial, like the criminal trial, will be a jury trial. So, while the judge can rule on matters of procedure and law, it ultimately comes down to the jury on the facts. Of course, the judge's ruling on the law can always be appealed. For instance, in the case I cited regarding the $11,505,000 judgment, the trial judge entered the judgment and probably ruled against a motion by the defense counsel to limit the judgment to $200,000 according to the MLGTCA. Then, it was appealed to the Court of Special Appeal and after the Court of Special Appeals overturned the trial court, it was appealed to the Court of Appeal, which affirmed the Court of Special Appeals.

So, even on the off chance that the trial judge in the civil case is the same judge as the judge in the criminal case, or the judge in the civil case is just biased, facts are determined by the jury and bad rulings of law can be appealed. There are other times when a judge can rule on a case and decide its outcome before it gets to a jury (e.g., Motion to Dismiss, Motion for Summary Judgment). This can get really complicated. For example, the Pinkerton criminal trial never made it to the jury because after the State rested, the defense attorney asked for a directed verdict because the State had not made its case, and the judge granted the Motion, which ended the case.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Why don't you start this thread over by being forthright and post a link to the case summary. Lay it all out there for us to consider. Tell us all the charge.s. Explain how you won.

Yeah, you should probably qualify that with he should not set forth anything that has not already been put out there on the case record and he certainly should not set forth anything covered by attorney-client privilege, confidentiality, etc.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Yeah, you should probably qualify that with he should not set forth anything that has not already been put out there on the case record and he certainly should not set forth anything covered by attorney-client privilege, confidentiality, etc.

And further qualify that by saying he shouldn't have posted here or on Liveleak or anywhere else to begin with ...remember the old saying ... When you take the stand, you take the stand.

And, I'm not his attorney.

DavidMS

Feb 23, 2013
    Fairfax VA
    Quick queston

If Taurus454 is suing under 1983, wouldn't it be in Federal Court not State court? If its in Federal Court, state limits on statuary damages won't apply. In addition to the ACLU, try contacting SAF if you have already contacted the NRA. There may be some other civil rights litigators who will be interested in this case.

Good luck.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

While I understand that you are upset over what happened to you, there is no reason for you to act out in the manner that you are. Especially towards respected members of the board.

We as a community on here keep tabs on all things 2A in MD and the USA. I think you may have jumped in here and pissed in your own Wheaties, because you didn't get what you wanted and were politely called out for what happened.

I don't care about your side of the story, nor do I care about the story the cops have. Based of the LL video, your actions were the reason why you were treated in the manner you were treated. You fell on your own sword by running your mouth and getting froggy with the officers. Granted, they legally don't have to show their ID, all they have to do is ID themselves as LE and why they are there. Acting like a prick towards them burned up any courtesy they would have ever shown you. You burned your bridges and now you are crying foul, because they didn't give into your demands.

You already had nolle pros, so if I were you, I'd cut bait and move on with your life. You have received good advice from several attorneys on here and if they aren't willing to touch the case, there is a big reason as to why.

They may have violated your 4A rights, but the sad truth is that you won't win a civil case and get the payday you are thinking of. Legally it won't happen. Sorry bro, but that is the truth.

BTW, welcome to MDS. Enjoy your stay, however long that might be.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    If Taurus454 is suing under 1983, wouldn't it be in Federal Court not State court? If its in Federal Court, state limits on statuary damages won't apply. In addition to the ACLU, try contacting SAF if you have already contacted the NRA. There may be some other civil rights litigators who will be interested in this case.

Good luck.

If the NRA turned it down, then they know something about the case that won't allow it to end well in their favor. They won't waste money on a case that won't help them.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Given how things have gone down thus far, I don't think he is going to do that. I think he is going to either frag out on here, or he is going to go away and let this thread die a silent death.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    If the NRA turned it down, then they know something about the case that won't allow it to end well in their favor. They won't waste money on a case that won't help them.

The NRA doesn't "take" cases, they support litigation in cases.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Allow me to rephrase. If the NRA isn't helping support his litigation, then they know it is a waste of money, because they know there is almost no chance of a win.

While probably true, NRA could also be treating MD pretty much as a lost cause and only willing to hit slam dunks. It sounds sad but it is true.

Taurus454

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 14, 2015
    @Abulg1972 I can certainly say say that you have been unaffirmative with your rhetoric but these quotes of yours are truly priceless ;)

I don't know what any of you do for a living, but let's assume you are a mechanic and let's assume further that my car broke down. The above is like me saying, you should fix my car for free because you fix cars. Bullsh*t. I need to feed my family and I can't tie up all my resources and time because you got caught with a bunch of drugs and machine guns.

He wasn't exonerated. It was found that his 4th Amendment rights had been violated and the evidence supporting the state's case was deemed inadmissible. In light of that finding, the state decided, smartly, to "nol pros" the case. That not "exoneration". That's called "beating the system."

Please, no I beg you, please enlighten me on how I beat the system? However, before you fat finger the keyboard with your response let us both do a logic check.

POINT ONE. Let us assume I am guilty of having
    a bunch of drugs and machine guns
    . What the heck, let us also assume that I was guilty of selling drugs and carrying guns while engaging in illegal drug trafficking for laughs. Now America's finest were just doing their job and caught me red-handed. Low and behold, a wonderful prosecutor offers me a plea deal. Why didn't I accept the plea deal if I was guilty? Why didn't I save over $600,000 in legal fees? As I was told, if I lose the Suppression Hearing the deal was off the table.

I dare say that I must be a complete retard or have the biggest balls on the planet to tell the prosecutor to "F Off", especially when I was caught red-handed. What do you think? You might be shocked to learn that I have always admitted my mistakes and accepted the consequences in order to learn to become a better person. Why buck the odds, after all 98.6% of all Americans accept a plea deal when accused rightly or wrongly by LEOs and prosecutors. Do you think I may have felt I was innocent and there was no evidence to prove my guilt.

POINT TWO. In an effort to intimidate and coerce me, I was told by a US States Attorney that they would prosecute me if I did not accept a plea deal. They even asked me if I would testify and I gave the same response, "F Off". Quite honestly, to my knowledge, the Feds have tried to indict me with no less than two "Secret" Federal Grand Juries to save the State from losing in Court and yet there has been no indictment. Do you think it is possible that there was no indictment because there is no evidence that I committed the assumed crimes from Point One above? As an aside, a famous and well-regarded attorney has agreed to take my case at the Federal level for free. This attorney has also indicates that there is no money to be had in a Maryland civil rights violation case and would not take it on contingency.

POINT THREE. Now let us assume that a gang of government gun-grabbers decided that I just had too many guns. Heck, the lead Sheriff stated under oath, "I wanted those guns" and that I had an "absurd amount of guns" and no American citizen needs that many guns. Heck, I heard the currently elected Sheriff make the offhand comment, "what is he going to do with that many guns, take us on" as my guns were returned to me by Court Order. Remember, this is how LEOs view guns in the hands of Americans, as instruments for use against them and so many of the People wonder why LEOs testify for gun control! In any case, this gang of government gun-grabbers consisting of County and Federal LEOs under the guise of a joint task force then conducts a raid on my home without a warrant and performs an illegal search and seizure to secure my guns. After the search and seizure, the lead Sheriff calls the on-call Maryland States Attorney to advise them of the situation and is told, "you can't do that, you need a warrant". Now suppose I hear the conversation because the lead Sheriff was so excited she made the call in my presence instead of going somewhere private. I also hear the lead Sheriff state, "okay, I will have them find a reason to get a warrant". If you were an immoral and corrupt LEO wanting to coerce someone into a plea deal, especially since you know that 98.6% of all Americans will accept one when rightly or wrongly accused by LEOs, let me ask you if you would stack charges, which is immoral and unethical, especially when they are false, torture the accused while unlawfully imprisoned to demonstrate your unaccountable power, and then have the States Attorney send a personal note to the Magistrate to assign a bail so high that the accused will not be able to post bail?

POINT FOUR. Do you honestly believe it matters what the evidence is to conduct a Suppression Hearing? Of course, it does not! The only thing that matters at a Suppression Hearing is whether or not your 4th Amendment Right was violated. To be clear, it is not a simple decision whether or not your 4th Amendment Right was violated. Before a Judge can even decide if your 4th Amendment Right was violated, there are a number of 4th Amendment Exception Rules that must be checked. I will never forget that one of them was the Leon Good Faith Exclusion. This exemption allows evidence collected in violation of privacy rights as interpreted under the Fourth Amendment to be admitted at trial if police officers acting in good faith (bona fides) relied upon a defective search warrant — that is, they had reason to believe their actions were legal even when they were illegal. The Judge clearly recognized that the LEOs did not act in good faith, especially since each one was shown the law during the Suppression Hearing and asked if they were aware of it. Each and every LEO that testified, and there were a lot that took the stand, stated they knew the law but went ahead and conducted an illegal search and seizure. Please understand that the law only requires a Judge to decide that one of the many exceptions to the 4th Amendment are applicable to rule that your 4th Amendment Rights were not violated. Does it make you wonder at all why Justice Sonia Sotomayor has been the sole defender of the 4th Amendment and recently stated, "we can't keep bending the 4th Amendment"?

POINT FIVE. Do you think the idea of going to Court to defend yourself against charges with lots of evidence or defending yourself in Court against charges with no evidence makes a decision easier? Do you think I would have risked the future life and livelihood of my 18 year old son who was knowingly and falsely charged over a year later as my "conspirator" in an effort to coerce me into accepting a plea deal if I believed for one minute there was a single bit of evidence that proved my guilt? Quite frankly, I do not understand why you continue to say I did anything wrong. Perhaps, and believe me, I understand all to well that it is easy to hide behind a computer and troll. I used to do it quite often to the anti-gun nuts until my lawyer advised me to not post on the internet until my case was resolved. More to the point and I apologize for using common vernacular here but it is appropriate, I suspect you are what is known as a copsucker, perhaps some form of LEO or LEO wannabe, or just a mindless drone that thinks if someone is charged with a crime they have to be guilty. Whatever the case, I suggest you start following the news and start counting how many "convicted felons" have been released from jail after DNA evidence or some other form of evidence emerged to prove that they were innocent all along. There was a time when Americans firmly believed the legal doctrine ascribed in 1769 by William Blackstone that “the law holds that it is better that 10 guilty persons escape, than that 1 innocent suffer (innocent person be convicted).” It deeply saddens my heart when people like you, who outwardly cry about their love for the Constitution, and yet in the end believe that it is better to convict 10 innocent persons than let 1 guilty person go free but that is what Amerika has become today. So ask yourself this, should it be difficult for the People to attain redress when their 4th Amendment Right was violated? If you are foolish enough to say, yes, and I suspect you might then you are essentially saying that redress should be difficult to attain when any Right is violated.

A great man by the name of President Thomas Jefferson once said, "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Despite what you say, there is no denying that we are at a point in time in America when a gang of government gun-grabbers can come to my home and stick a gun in my face in order to unlawfully search for and seize my arms because one LEO felt I had too many!

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    "Unaffirmative in your rhetoric". I have no idea what that even means.

Beat the system. Having all charges nol prossed due to the evidence being suppressed rather than spending 100 years in jail. I'd pay $600,000 for that any day of the week. As Charlie Sheen would say, winning!

The only judgment I've passed here is with respect to your sense of entitlement. Your posts make it clear that you believe that every Constitution loving lawyer in America should do you a solid by representing you for free or on a contingency basis without regard to how much time and money it takes to do so or the chances of success on the merits. You seem to assert that you are entitled to this because you spent $600k and you served our country (and defamed me by implying that I have done nothing to serve our country).

The world doesn't work like that.

You join this forum out of nowhere and post all kinds of accusations about rights and mistreatment and bad prosecutors and cops, but you refuse to link to your case summary or provide the details surrounding it (all of which is public information, by the way) so that people can fully understand and assess your situation and needs, potential of the case, etc. I think that's an unreasonable, or at least naive, approach. You told the story. You asked for help. This post is something you did. You weren't dragged into this discussion by external sources.

If you won a suppression hearing, then your rights must've been violated and that sucks. Thank you for your service to our country, and I wish you luck in whatever, if anything, this turns out to be.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Haven't read through this thread in its entirety, but DC is relatively awash in civil rights attorneys. Hope OP isn't limiting himself to MD bar just because his case would be in federal court here in Balto.

Some pretty good ones in NoVa, too -- the guy who won Heller, for instance.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom