• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I never thought about that. I must've encountered hundreds of people carrying without me realizing it.
    If know what to look for, especially in a state with long-time shall issue laws, you’ll see small belt clips everywhere.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    This doesn't happen in states that have open carry and a good many of the citizens of those states avail themselves of the ability to open carry, so why do people keep repeating this ********?
    I'm sure it will change, but if instructors are telling newbies to go concealed and (still a whole new world for us) and not seeing people doing it now (I don't recall ever seeing someone open carry in Maryland), it just might not become common. I don't know if dirtbags think about how many might be carrying concealed. THAT should give them more pause.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    How you carry yourself impacts others perception much more than a visible firearm on your hip.
    And concealed? 98% of the population won't even realize it's there.
    I say open carry when applicable to the task or audience, and begin the process of normalizing visibility to our right.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    How you carry yourself impacts others perception much more than a visible firearm on your hip.
    And concealed? 98% of the population won't even realize it's there.
    I say open carry when applicable to the task or audience, and begin the process of normalizing visibility to our right.
    I open carried a few times in the last couple of weeks. Nobody has noticed.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I don't know what that means. I don't know who you mean by "most people" Thankfully, we're not in a place like New York City that presumes everyone to be guilty of illegally carrying a firearm in public unless otherwise, which doesn't make sense to me.
    Look up the Webster's definition of "most people", hell read the open carry thread and see what the reaction has been. I'll give you a hint (zero reaction). Again, your BGOS is showing if you think you will be arrested for the outline of your firearm showing.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I never carried a handgun before, so I'm a bit nervous.
    Ah, now I see...Stop over thinking it, people really don't notice open/concealed carry in Maryland, and even if they do, very few if any call the police.
    My advise, is start carrying now around the house, around your property (perfectly legal to do so without a permit) and get used to it.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I'm sure it will change, but if instructors are telling newbies to go concealed and (still a whole new world for us) and not seeing people doing it now (I don't recall ever seeing someone open carry in Maryland), it just might not become common. I don't know if dirtbags think about how many might be carrying concealed. THAT should give them more pause.
    When open carry comes up, most people jump on the "The bad guy will shoot you first" bandwagon. Did anyone ever think that it's the exact opposite, "oh shit, there's someone with a gun, I'm going somewhere else" happens way more than the other, especially since I have yet to see anything about a CCW holder being the first person shot in any event. People parrot the worst case more than the best case, why is that?

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    When open carry comes up, most people jump on the "The bad guy will shoot you first" bandwagon. Did anyone ever think that it's the exact opposite, "oh shit, there's someone with a gun, I'm going somewhere else" happens way more than the other, especially since I have yet to see anything about a CCW holder being the first person shot in any event. People parrot the worst case more than the best case, why is that?
    Lack of knowledge. I'm new to this beyond punching holes in paper. I thought it was something I read here, but now I'm pretty sure my instructor said it (or both) as one of his arguments for going concealed.

Maybe I'll venture out exposed when I'm blessed by the crown. I'm not sure if I have the retention levels right but I believe my OWB is level 1 (kydex with the friction retention). Would you recommend something with a higher retention?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I see two different threat scenarios in your post.

The "shoot you first" scenario would apply in a terrorist operation, which is unlikely in the extreme to occur to anyone viewing this thread. You'd be safer wearing rubber boots to avoid lightning strikes.

The second is rather more likely. Street-level predators go after easy meat. There's plenty of oblivious targets around; why aggravate the odds against?

Regarding the "Worst case scenario" being parroted, well, that's the one that gets focused on in a discussion regarding threats. Human nature, if you will.

Ultimately, Antco summed up the situation very well, I thought:

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I'm not sure if I have the retention levels right but I believe my OWB is level 1 (kydex with the friction retention). Would you recommend something with a higher retention?
    The als holsters from safariland are great holsters, but they are way too big for normal carry. You wont really find any kydex holsters meant for normal carry with anything beyond a friction fit.

A little practice with retention training and a proper holster that does not hang out from your body with a little situational awareness is plenty unless your going somewhere more dangerous then all bets are off.

Watch youtube vids on weapon retenetion

Kilroy3006

Jun 10, 2015
    Not attacking you but they will try to ban whatever they can get away with regardless of what we do lawfully.
    It’s not lost on me.
    I see nothing wrong with following the law, even if that possibly offends some.
    Not wrong legally. Just not wise politically.

I never thought about that. I must've encountered hundreds of people carrying without me realizing it.
    My point exactly. Marylanders not accustomed to seeing armed civilians. In today's climate of active shooter incidents, there is a higher probability of someone 911ing you. While you are not be violating the law, you are taking a chance that some LEO may get too nervous. Accidents happen. Plus the fact that you will end up with 3 or 4 LEOs who could be better spending their time elsewhere on bad guys.

Personally, having carried for decades, I much prefer to have the element of surprise hidden on my side (pun intended).

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Lack of knowledge. I'm new to this beyond punching holes in paper. I thought it was something I read here, but now I'm pretty sure my instructor said it (or both) as one of his arguments for going concealed.

Maybe I'll venture out exposed when I'm blessed by the crown. I'm not sure if I have the retention levels right but I believe my OWB is level 1 (kydex with the friction retention). Would you recommend something with a higher retention?
    For OWB carry at least something with a thumb break, or better. If you go with simple kydex and friction retention, then find and tae some retention training. But in all seriousness, those that open carry and have had a weapon removed from the holster are fairly infrequent, it's an issue brought up by those that are unsure of their ability to retain their firearm.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I see two different threat scenarios in your post.

The "shoot you first" scenario would apply in a terrorist operation, which is unlikely in the extreme to occur to anyone viewing this thread. You'd be safer wearing rubber boots to avoid lightning strikes.

The second is rather more likely. Street-level predators go after easy meat. There's plenty of oblivious targets around; why aggravate the odds against?
    For all of those that open carry in states that it is permitted, and have done so for years, how often has this really happened? I'm willing to bet it is less that .001%, and are we really going to fret about that? If so, then you better really work on not getting struck by lightning, because that will happen more than having a firearm taken from a holster.

Regarding the "Worst case scenario" being parroted, well, that's the one that gets focused on in a discussion regarding threats. Human nature, if you will.

Ultimately, Antco summed up the situation very well, I thought:
    People need to stop parroting things they have no clue about, unless they want to keep being sheep.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

My point exactly. Marylanders not accustomed to seeing armed civilians. In today's climate of active shooter incidents, there is a higher probability of someone 911ing you. While you are not be violating the law, you are taking a chance that some LEO may get too nervous. Accidents happen. Plus the fact that you will end up with 3 or 4 LEOs who could be better spending their time elsewhere on bad guys.
    Numerous posts here in the post Bruen timeframe have proved this to not be an issue. Many have opened carried in Maryland, with absolutely no issues. Yes, there have been a few, but all of those have ended without issue.

Personally, having carried for decades, I much prefer to have the element of surprise hidden on my side (pun intended).
    You carry how you want and let others legally carry how they want.

spank308

Jul 24, 2012
    There appears to be a sharp divide among gun owners on the question of open carry versus concealed carry. Each side has its arguments. What do you think?

Join us in a casual open forum on the pros and cons of open carry v. concealed carry in Maryland. Zoom IV will be a friendly non-recorded discussion with Maryland gun owners during which individual views and opinions can be expressed.
    In this email:
    • Zoom IV: Open Discussion Invitation Link - Open Carry v Concealed Carry
    • Reader Survey: Open Carry v Concealed Carry
    Best regards,
    2A Maryland
    Zoom IV Meeting - Open Discussion
    The Political and Social Ramifications of
    Open Carry v. Concealed Carry in Maryland
    Note: The Maryland State Police will not be participating in this Zoom meeting.
    You are invited to an open discussion Zoom meeting.
    When: Sep 22, 2022 07:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Registration through 2A Maryland. Nope, I'm not going to share the link here.​
    Once again,why have a conversation on 2a. Everyone is so programmed to 2a as gun owners is sickening. I’m sure they will ban open carry in MD. I guess we should

”stay closet carry” and thank them for allowing at least this.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Good grief. You’ve carried for decades and still suffer from BGOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spank308

Jul 24, 2012
    There appears to be a sharp divide among gun owners on the question of open carry versus concealed carry. Each side has its arguments. What do you think?

Join us in a casual open forum on the pros and cons of open carry v. concealed carry in Maryland. Zoom IV will be a friendly non-recorded discussion with Maryland gun owners during which individual views and opinions can be expressed.
    In this email:
    • Zoom IV: Open Discussion Invitation Link - Open Carry v Concealed Carry
    • Reader Survey: Open Carry v Concealed Carry
    Best regards,
    2A Maryland
    Zoom IV Meeting - Open Discussion
    The Political and Social Ramifications of
    Open Carry v. Concealed Carry in Maryland
    Note: The Maryland State Police will not be participating in this Zoom meeting.
    You are invited to an open discussion Zoom meeting.
    When: Sep 22, 2022 07:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Registration through 2A Maryland. Nope, I'm not going to share the link here.​
    Just a follow up. How many people carried their first time felt like criminals breaking the law? Me too! That’s how bad the ” mind conditioning“ has worked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom