• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4d_POWER

Aug 19, 2011
    Trying to determine which suppressor to get is harder than buying a gun!! LOL!

I spent some time trying to consolidate options for a .22lr handgun suppressor. I think Stainless is the way to go. But the tradeoff is at least double the weight.

All the suppressors I listed can be brokedown and cleaned by end user.

I'm sure there are more manufacturers out there, these are just the most popular I could find.

If you have a suppressor on the list please let me know what you like/dislike about it....THANKS!!!

Hopefully you can see the list I made...

Attachments

• 420470_334144649951725_100000685793047_1084903_1181980948_n.jpg
      420470_334144649951725_100000685793047_1084903_1181980948_n.jpg
      67.2 KB · Views: 264

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Heard a lot good about the Sparrow. Shame its at the top of the price range. Im in the beginning stages of looking for a .22 can also.

dwnthehatch

10-32
    Nov 6, 2007
    Kent Island
    I have a Tac65. It does the job. The tax stamp costs as much as the suppressor. It's lightweight and easy to disassemble if you clean it after every use. It's not rated for full auto though.

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    fwiw.. I got my mite for ~220 new.. it has 'thousands' of rounds through it.. may not be quiet as the others but it has served me well (so far!)

plus is that its diameter allows me to use standard pistol sights on my .22s, and it is very light

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I like the Liberty Kodiak TL and Essence. The first round sound difference is a factor for me and these two perform.

The Essence has a titanium baffle. Super lightweight package.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I like the Liberty Kodiak TL and Essence. The first round sound difference is a factor for me and these two perform.

The Essence has a titanium baffle. Super lightweight package.

Can they be user dissasembled for cleaning? (I was hoping you'd chime in- I forgot which cans you mentioned)

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    Not to thread jack, but can any .22 rifle be threaded for a can?

Yes, one way or another, but depending on the diameter of the barrel and how much protrudes past any sights/slide/whatever it might be difficult and therefore expensive.

- skinny barrels will typically need a thread adapter to mate with 1/2-28 threads commonly found on .22LR suppressors.
    - pistols need sufficient barrel protruding from the front of the slide so you can attach the muzzle device. If it's a flush fit, again you'll need either a longer factory threaded barrel or a custom adapter to make it fit.

Some guns such as the Walther P22 and Sig P22x series with conversion kits make great hosts because barrels and adapters are available off the shelf. If it's rifles you're looking at, then AR-15's are typically already threaded 1/2-28 for flash suppressors, and threaded 10/22 barrels are easily available too.

Dooga

Dec 5, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    I wish you had the decibel rating of each one in your chart. I might pay more for one that is particularly awesome. Oil wet, water wet, and dry. You're right. It is complicated, the choice.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Sparrow or Spectre IMHO. The Spectre is slightly more quite and has less forst round pop. The SParrow is just slightly more loud but is MUCH easier to clean due to the baffle design.

4d_POWER

Aug 19, 2011
    Dooga,

I was going to add the decibel rating but it seemed each company tested differently, with a different gun and different test equipment. Most companies that did list decible rating were in the -30 to -40 reduced db range.

This is from the Tactical Inc site..."Performance in decibel reduction to the ear is comparable from one suppressor to the next. Although our meters can quantify db differences between suppressors, db measurements will vary between days, guns, ammunition etc. As a result, we build our suppressor baffle stack first based on our meter and then modify it based on human perception feedback. For instance, a slightly higher db at a different frequency might appear quieter based on the shooter's ability to hear it. Similarly, duration of peak db will have a different impression on your ear. For instance, a micro second at one db level will set a peak level on our meter (regardless of its duration), but it still sounds more quiet than 2 or 3 times the peak length of time at a slightly lower db level. Based on the wide range of differences in db data collection, data integrity and data interpretation, we do not publish meter generated db reductions (which have become somewhat of a joke in the suppressor industry). We are confident that when you shoot a TAC65, you'll agree that its performance delivers."

:)

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    Heard a lot good about the Sparrow. Shame its at the top of the price range. Im in the beginning stages of looking for a .22 can also.

Shoulda hopped in on the Engage group buy. Let's just say the price was actually in between the Elite iron prices... :D:thumbsup:

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Can they be user dissasembled for cleaning? (I was hoping you'd chime in- I forgot which cans you mentioned)

Yep, monocore baffles.

Here is a link to the Essence:
    http://libertycans.net/essence.html
    (titanium core & shell)
    4.2 oz.

and the Kodiak TL (FA .22lr only):
    http://libertycans.net/KodiakTL.html
    (titanium shell, SS core)
    6.3 oz.

The Kodiak is all stainless and is FA rated for .22lr & .22mag:
    http://libertycans.net/kodiak.html
    (SS core & shell)
    8.7oz.

I think if we all pestered the big boss over at Engage Armament we might be able to see a group buy on these??? :D

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I've had my SS Sparrow for about 2 months now. It's exactly what I wanted, quiet & super easy to clean. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for a 22lr suppressor. And BTW, its not on the OP's list but the Sparrow has an SS mono baffle stack. Also, the price listed for it on the OP's list is MSRP. I didn't pay anywhere near that.

IMAG0165-1.jpg

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I have the Spectre and have been very happy with it. I wanted something that would also run on a .17HMR. The only down side I've seen when comparing it to a buddy's aluminum suppressor is it's weight; it is a lot heavier. For me, it's a fair trade to be able to use it on different calibers.

iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House
    I'm 99% sure im going to be ordering a SS sparrow wednesday morning. Going to go visit engage for the first time and hopefully will fill out some paperwork :) I've read and heard a lot of good things about the sparrow and engage, it took me forever to decide too.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    If I were buying a 22 can today it would be the SS Sparrow or a Spectre (there's a new one just released at SHOT though). Don't buy a sealed can. At some point I'm going have to send my AAC Pilot in to somebody to jailbreak it just to keep it running.

jobow74

Mar 30, 2011
    Snow Hill
    Guess I'll try and hijack this thread.:) Does anyone know the closest dealer that sells cans, in the vicinity of the Eastern Shore. I am in the Snow Hill area. Thanks to all

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom