• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I am familiar with the Buckmark and the MarkIII.

Was wondering if anyone owns and shoots/has owned and shot a S&W model 22? Are they worth a darn?

Comments and thoughts please. I am looking to purchase a new pistol and this is one I am not familiar with.

Thanks in advance for the input.

RegularJay

NRA & SAF Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2007
    Harford County
    I have an S&W 22A and I like it.
    I also work with a guy that recently bought one and he likes his too.
    So, with apologies to Siskel & Ebert I guess thats two thumbs up.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Did some research today on the S&W pistol forum... Came up with several people that had model 22A's with issues like cracked frames (most in the same spot) as well as some bent slides.

Looked around today at the Buckmark and the MarkIII...

Think I may go with the Buckmark!

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Check out the Ruger SR22. Eats any ammunition you can feed it and no failures. Nice feel, easy to disassemble, fun to shoot. Look at all the youtube reviews, they aren't lying. I've got about 250 rounds through mine so far and not a single ftf or fte using Federal Champion bulk ammo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjG2DNFRV9M

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I have the Ruger Mark I and II. I am picking up the Mark III tomorrow. I love them. I just ran 150 rounds through the Mark II this morning. I thought about getting the SR22 but I heard they are not as good as the Mark series. I may still get one, just because.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Picking up a buckmark soon... Wanted something to put an optic on and be used more for target shooting then anythin else. Thanks for the input. I do like the SR22 pistol (would compliment my SR22 Rifle) and the M&P .22 as well (would go nicely with my 9C) but the buckmark has won out over everything else I think! Thanks again for the input!

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I have a S&W22a and love it. The integral rail is the best feature. I have the 5" barrel set up with a red dot and it is great for speed shooting and a 7" barrel with a scope that is good for 3moa with Wal Mart bulk. I am going to get another 7" with premium sights for open sight work. Currently I have about $500 into it and barrels are $120-200 depending on options. Everybody who has borrowed mine has bought one.

ffemtreed

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    The SR22 and the Mark series have different purposes. If you are trying for pin point bullseye shooting then the Mark series is your gun. If you want a .22 that is pretty accurate want to practice some stuff like holster drawing and tactical scenerios the SR22 is your gun.

I have the SR22 and its one of the most fun guns I have to shoot. Its my newest gun and I got more rounds through it than any of my other guns. Mainly because ammo is so cheap.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    :cool::thumbsup: Good pistol there!

I have the Ruger Mk III (fantastic pistol) and the Beretta U22 Neos. The Neos is a fine pistol now, but when new, it was spitting out the extractor; it needed some attention to shoot reliably. And it certainly does now. The Neos has an integral full-length rail on top and will take any optic you like.

A big plus is it's a great "first pistol" for children to learn with because it has a smallish grip and fairly short length of pull. And still very comfortable to shoot, even for adults with larger hands.

Attachments

• MkIII-U22-comparo.jpg
      MkIII-U22-comparo.jpg
      61.1 KB · Views: 289

Bang

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2008
    Baltimore Co.
    any love for the Sig mosquito?

I have a mosquito and I like it. It doesn't have the best trigger in the world and it will only eat CCI Mini-Mags. I have come to accept its shortcoming seeing it was relatively inexpensive and I find it fun to shoot. Plus it's just like a smaller version of my P226.

Not to hijack, but has anyone tried the .22 conversion for the 226?

Zombie_013

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 30, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    I have a mosquito and I like it. It doesn't have the best trigger in the world and it will only eat CCI Mini-Mags. I have come to accept its shortcoming seeing it was relatively inexpensive and I find it fun to shoot. Plus it's just like a smaller version of my P226.

Not to hijack, but has anyone tried the .22 conversion for the 226?

thanks - My girl, Theresa, wants to get one...she held it and fell in love.

Viper-Snipe

May 13, 2012
    :cool::thumbsup: Good pistol there!

I have the Ruger Mk III (fantastic pistol) and the Beretta U22 Neos. The Neos is a fine pistol now, but when new, it was spitting out the extractor; it needed some attention to shoot reliably. And it certainly does now. The Neos has an integral full-length rail on top and will take any optic you like.

A big plus is it's a great "first pistol" for children to learn with because it has a smallish grip and fairly short length of pull. And still very comfortable to shoot, even for adults with larger hands.

How did you mount the Red Dot on that Ruger MK III, and what type/model is it?

Thanks.

V-S

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom