• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    The most accurate, out of the box 22lr bolt action rifle in that price range is the Savage MK II. The ruger american rimfire is nice but the savage is a submoa shooter. Can even get it threaded.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/2014/01/10/ruger-american-rimfire-review/

ruger_americanrimfire_7.jpg

http://www.gunsumerreports.com/review_ruger_american_rimfire_p6.php

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-American22.htm

You were saying?

Heavy barrel savages:

http://www.preciseshooter.com/blog/SavageMKIIFV.aspx

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/savage-mark-ii-fv-sr

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    I had a feeling a lot of this would be opinion (like, Coke or Pepsi?) but I'm getting some good ideas of what to look for. I guess I'll just have to start visiting IPs who get used rifles in frequently!

And gun shows - this is a good reason to visit the local gun shows!

:party29:

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I had a feeling a lot of this would be opinion (like, Coke or Pepsi?) but I'm getting some good ideas of what to look for. I guess I'll just have to start visiting IPs who get used rifles in frequently!

Yup, always gonna have opinions Based on what ppl like. I collect mossbergs, you dont have to, its Ok. That leaves more for me :D. I just wanted to give you the info i wish i knew when i started collecting. Now with about 20 .22 rifles(not counting my sons) i know a little bit more than i did then.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I am really surprised how accurate my savage mk is. I will replace the stock at some point but, it just shoots great. 9mm casings off the top of my stand at 30 yds are pretty easy.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011

For the record, I don't even like ruger. But it is hard to deny what they have accomplished with the american rimfire.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I am really surprised how accurate my savage mk is. I will replace the stock at some point but, it just shoots great. 9mm casings off the top of my stand at 30 yds are pretty easy.

Ill agree with this too, i bought a Mk II left hand for the kid and his is very accurate at 25-50 yards with iron sights

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    If you decide to go with a used rifle and come across an old style Model 25 in good condition I would recommend it. First firearm I ever purchased, around 35-40 years ago. Until last summer I hadn't fired it in more than 20 years. I was pretty pleased with it today:

Attachments

• IMG_0397.jpg
      IMG_0397.jpg
      69.5 KB · Views: 395

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    If you look around you should be able to find a CZ 452 Trainer for $275-$300. They are the best shooting bolt action .22s out of the box until you get to high end stuff like Annies. I like the Mossbergs myself and have 1 or 2. Really messed up at an auction last year when 2 or 3 went for $10 each with sites. Was concentrating on something else and not paying attention. Savages are very accurate guns for the money but feel cheap to me. If you go to rimfirecentral.com and then the CZ/BRNO forum you will se how well these shoot and how passionate the owners are. The CZ Basic as mentioned is a good gun for a low price. Just doesn't have an adjustable trigger if that matters to you.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Gunrunners in Frederick has a CZ 452 UL with a candy cane trigger (break is incredible) for $275. A guy dropped it off for consignment sale yesterday who said he rarely ever shot it so was selling it. The rifle's in pristine condition and comes with two 10 rd mags, a sling, and a carrying case. Great deal for a highly accurate shooter. I was picking up a transfer last night and exhibited tremendous self control to not buy a second toy. Doubt it lasts the week.

Turbo2Point4

Feb 19, 2012
    if the Mossberg bolt action 802 plinkster, is anything like the semi auto 702 my wife has, you can't beat it for the price. she has less than $150 in it between the rifle and scope. she has shot the bullseye out of a few targets with it. the 702 was $107, and i'm thinking the 802 was $137 at walmart.

Hippy

Mar 11, 2008
    Frostburg Md
    If you are looking for a "New" rifle the Ruger All-American
    "Used" Remington 581/582

With either of the choices U will Never Look Bac

Good Luck
    Jim

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Gunrunners in Frederick has a CZ 452 UL with a candy cane trigger (break is incredible) for $275. A guy dropped it off for consignment sale yesterday who said he rarely ever shot it so was selling it. The rifle's in pristine condition and comes with two 10 rd mags, a sling, and a carrying case. Great deal for a highly accurate shooter. I was picking up a transfer last night and exhibited tremendous self control to not buy a second toy. Doubt it lasts the week.

Hell of a deal on a fantastic shooter and almost suppressor quiet. Wish it was closer, I'd buy another at that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom