• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IronicEnigma

Apr 6, 2008
    Abingdon
    Looking to buy a rifle for my son for his 6th birthday in April and while I am heavily leaning towards the 22LR model, I was curious what other's experiences were in shooting the 22 WMR or 17 HMR?

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    22LR

Cost of ammo alone would be the deciding factor for me.

Plus you can turn a 10/22 into one fun little gun and have fun while doing it!

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    i'd get a .22lr since its so damn cheap to shoot and usually a better size for a smaller kid

.22 mags are cool but kinda expensive to shoot if your just plinking ($7 a box of 50rds usually) and 17 is the same way but more power. all are recoil friendly and he should have no problem shooting either but i would more towards a bolt action .22LR

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    Looking to buy a rifle for my son for his 6th birthday in April and while I am heavily leaning towards the 22LR model, I was curious what other's experiences were in shooting the 22 WMR or 17 HMR?

Definitely 22LR for a first rifle. 17 HMR is a good rimfire round, but costs closer to centerfire handgun rounds from what others have said.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    .22LR should be the first, only because it is cheap to shoot and you want em shooting often. .17HMR is a great step up later.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    22lr hands down. Any of the smaller carbines supported on a sandbag will be just fine and it will be something he can grow into and shoot for a lifetime. 22mag and 17HMR are LOUD. Like SkItZiAnIsT mentioned, not something to start shooting with.

IronicEnigma

Apr 6, 2008
    Abingdon
    Thanks for the input all, I think I will just get the 22lr.

Noise isn't much of an issue, or recoil since my son popped a few rounds off my Sig 556 and loved it.

Now...the wait for the Virginia gun show...ooof...

gunconnection

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2008
    My son has both a Rem.597 22LR & a Rem.504T LSHB in 17HMR. He & I love them both. The Rem.597 has had some stock work & a Volquartsen custom trigger installed. The 597 is Remington's best kept secret. With a little bit of work those things shoot fantastic. 1/2 @ 50 yards. I thought I had a fluke until I bought one for myself and found it to be just as accurate. He is still growing into the 504T 17HMR. I didn't want to cut the stock.

IronicEnigma

Apr 6, 2008
    Abingdon
    My son has both a Rem.597 22LR & a Rem.504T LSHB in 17HMR. He & I love them both. The Rem.597 has had some stock work & a Volquartsen custom trigger installed. The 597 is Remington's best kept secret. With a little bit of work those things shoot fantastic. 1/2 @ 50 yards. I thought I had a fluke until I bought one for myself and found it to be just as accurate. He is still growing into the 504T 17HMR. I didn't want to cut the stock.

Interesting you mention the 597 as I am currently reading up on them and trying to determine what would be better for my son (in terms of a 10/22).

gunconnection

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2008
    Interesting you mention the 597 as I am currently reading up on them and trying to determine what would be better for my son (in terms of a 10/22).

I won't say one is any better than the other. The aftermarket is starting to catch on to the 597 although it is still relatively new. The 10/22, on the other hand, has been around for a very long time and has tons of aftermarket accessories available for it, if that matters to you.

I can't say enough good about the Rem.597, if you buy one you won't be sorry. They shoot great!!!

I keep several different accessories in stock for the 597.

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    get him one of these and dont look back.
    http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/BoltAction22/925.asp

it was my first .22 and its goin strong after many many many rounds.

everyone is suggesting a semi auto .22 for his first gun but i wouldn't get him a semi its more complicated to clean and there alot more moving parts.. i would recomend a bolt action since they are simple and easy to use plus they arent picky on ammo.

nighthawk2099

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2006
    Backwoods, SouthWest Arkansas
    Just my opinion, but you might look at a bolt action .22. It will help to reinforce slower shooting and making sure that each shot is on target.

With my semi-auto, my boys just pulled the trigger and were happy they hit the target, the bolt action forced them to take their time and make each shot count.

My semi-auto is a Rem 597 and the bolt action I got my boys was the Moss 802. They are both excellent shooters for a reasonable price. If things go well, then you could always get the 10/22 later and trick it out.

$.02

IronicEnigma

Apr 6, 2008
    Abingdon
    Just my opinion, but you might look at a bolt action .22. It will help to reinforce slower shooting and making sure that each shot is on target.

With my semi-auto, my boys just pulled the trigger and were happy they hit the target, the bolt action forced them to take their time and make each shot count.

My semi-auto is a Rem 597 and the bolt action I got my boys was the Moss 802. They are both excellent shooters for a reasonable price. If things go well, then you could always get the 10/22 later and trick it out.

$.02

I agree whole heartedly and have decided on the bolt action for exactly what you said. I want to start teaching him and ingraining skills that he will need when I finally take him hunting.

I do like the Marlin, the Remington and the CZ models...just have to convince myself on which one to buy...it's like being a kid in a candy store with a c-note.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Start with a 10/22, shoot the hell out of it. Trick it out if you want to make it a tack driver, but eventually consider the .17HMR. Once you shoot it, you will love it.

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    I do like the Marlin, the Remington and the CZ models...just have to convince myself on which one to buy...it's like being a kid in a candy store with a c-note.

I love my CZ-452/3, but it might be too heavy for a kid. I still get fatigued with mine after a bit of shooting. A big reason I picked up a 10/22 was to have something lighter that wouldn't wear me out. After a while, the sore arm tends to negate the better accuracy of the CZ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom