• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I have been offered the below for $600. That scope is a Millett 6-25x56 LRS-1. Taken to the range one time. .224 Valkyrie I think that is expensive to shoot? He is including like 60 rounds of ammo. Worth it or no? What would new price on that package be?

1703174851356.jpeg

missedthebarn

Jan 1, 2021
    I have been offered the below for $600. That scope is a Millett 6-25x56 LRS-1. Taken to the range one time. .224 Valkyrie I think that is expensive to shoot? He is including like 60 rounds of ammo. Worth it or no? What would new price on that pack
    not a bad price, inexpensive uppers are about $400. They tend to be picky about ammo though. Fun round up to about 800 yards especially if you reload

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Any details on make/specific model? That will figure in significantly.

224 valkyrie is more expensive than 223 to shoot but less than stuff like 308. If you are after super premium ammo, it will have a super premium price. There's red box American eagle that is a 75gr load IIRC that's a bit more than 223 75s and then there's 90gr match loads. BIG price difference.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I mean it looks like just the scope is worth almost the asking price. Midway has it on sale for 490. There is definitely more than 600 dollars worth of parts at the very least.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I mean it looks like just the scope is worth almost the asking price. Midway has it on sale for 490. There is definitely more than 600 dollars worth of parts at the very least.

My thinking exactly. The scope and the stock pays for it.

I have not done a transfer in awhile. Is this a 7 day wait or same day since it is not regulated?

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    My thinking exactly. The scope and the stock pays for it.

I have not done a transfer in awhile. Is this a 7 day wait or same day since it is not regulated?
    Should be in and out like any other long gun.

I recommend Brian at scsg. I think he's going to be open Saturday.

If you do buy it, and that muzzle device is a YHM qd that's compatible with their 762 cans, I'd give you 75 for that, further lowering the price to you!

I see.guys shooting the 90gr loads out of valkyrie rifles and they definitely offer an edge on 223 performance at longer ranges. If the wind isn't blowing, they will get you to a grand pretty effectively. On windy days, well, it's time to get the big 30cal guns out.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    I built a 224Valkyrie. I would not recommend this cartridge to anyone. (FYI - my build included a $500 Krieger bull barrel) This round is quite finicky with respect to precision. I tried at least 5 bullets, 5 powder types and numerous charge levels and seating depths etc. before I finally achieved acceptable precision - which included cutting the front out of my mags to get a seating depth that worked with 90 gr. bullets. Very frustrating, and I am an experienced handloader. I don't know what your acceptable level of precision would be for this rifle, but I would not want to have to rely on expensive commercial ammo, and developing properly tuned handloads could be a bee-otch.

Then again, as others have pointed out, there is considerable value in the included components.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I built a 224Valkyrie. I would not recommend this cartridge to anyone. (FYI - my build included a $500 Krieger bull barrel) This round is quite finicky with respect to precision. I tried at least 5 bullets, 5 powder types and numerous charge levels and seating depths etc. before I finally achieved acceptable precision - which included cutting the front out of my mags to get a seating depth that worked with 90 gr. bullets. Very frustrating, and I am an experienced handloader. I don't know what your acceptable level of precision would be for this rifle, but I would not want to have to rely on expensive commercial ammo, and developing properly tuned handloads could be a bee-otch.

Then again, as others have pointed out, there is considerable value in the included components.

I would reload for this. I would expect with the setup as pictured to get sub-MOA at 100 yards.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    I bought into the 224 Valkyrie ecosystem when they first came out. I have both a bolt and gas gun. The gas gun prefers the 75's and the bolt likes the 88's or 90's. I have some spare brass if you want to do some load testing.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    In my view there is no point in shooting lightweight bullets (<80gr.) in a 224V - no advantage over a .223/5.56. It was designed (and I use the term lightly as I believe this cartridge was "designed" on a bar napkin on a Friday after work hours - and a few cool ones) for heavier bullets (88-90) with a greater BC in the AR-15 platform. Take MacGuns offer of brass as it can be difficult to find, but don't expect many reloadings, especially from Federal cases. Starline cases are the way to go.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    My 224V load is not typical: the 90 gr. SMK (moly) over 25.4 gr. of H4350 in Starline cases. COAL about 2.338" which requires cutting out the front of my AR mags. It shoots very well now, but it took some work to get there. I do have a load for 77gr. SMK's (moly), 23.4 gr. Varget which is the same load that works best for the 77SMK in both my 16" and 18" RRA AR-15's.

8EGjx3s.jpg

OuEZKUE.jpg

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I bought into the 224 Valkyrie ecosystem when they first came out. I have both a bolt and gas gun. The gas gun prefers the 75's and the bolt likes the 88's or 90's. I have some spare brass if you want to do some load testing.
    Your boltgun shoots great.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    My 224V load is not typical: the 90 gr. SMK (moly) over 25.4 gr. of H4350 in Starline cases. COAL about 2.338" which requires cutting out the front of my AR mags. It shoots very well now, but it took some work to get there. I do have a load for 77gr. SMK's (moly), 23.4 gr. Varget which is the same load that works best for the 77SMK in both my 16" and 18" RRA AR-15's.

8EGjx3s.jpg

OuEZKUE.jpg

Are you using .223 mags? Is that what .224 uses?

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    In my view there is no point in shooting lightweight bullets (<80gr.) in a 224V - no advantage over a .223/5.56. It was designed (and I use the term lightly as I believe this cartridge was "designed" on a bar napkin on a Friday after work hours - and a few cool ones) for heavier bullets (88-90) with a greater BC in the AR-15 platform. Take MacGuns offer of brass as it can be difficult to find, but don't expect many reloadings, especially from Federal cases. Starline cases are the way to go.

I just looked at Starline brass wow this is expensive even for the brass. I'll probably make an initial 200 case investment and see how long I can use those. I do want to match my resizing die to my spent empties. I'll get those initial factory rounds too and see how they go.

missedthebarn

Jan 1, 2021
    I bought into the 224 Valkyrie ecosystem when they first came out. I have both a bolt and gas gun. The gas gun prefers the 75's and the bolt likes the 88's or 90's. I have some spare brass if you want to do some load testi

Wow $1.68 per round to reload. New factory ammo is cheaper. I am having 2nd thoughts about this rifle!
    Last I checked I was <$1 per round even with new starline brass and getting about 10 reloads per case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom