• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zanderx

Nov 1, 2011
    Halethorpe, MD
    So I want to start re loading my 223 brass but have no idea where to start. I was looking at the Lee Loadmaster, I guess I don't know everything I need to buy to get the job done. does the load machine come with all the dies I need to prep the brass?

Any help would be great!

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    You need to buy a die set for each caliber you plan to reload for.

The die set will let you de-prime and re-size the brass, and then seat new bullets (and crimp, if you want that.)

In addition to the press, and die set, you'll need:

- A tumbler to clean dirty brass.

- Case lube (which may come with your press)

- A priming tool (again, this might come with your press)

- A case trim tool/cutter and case length gage, to trim used brass to a safe length, and a deburring tool to remove the sharp edges left by the cutter. I like the Lee cutter & case length gage, it automatically trims to the correct length and no further.

Hope this helps!

edit:

p.s. A set of digital calipers (<$20 at Harbor Freight) is an invaluable tool to have, as well.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    See this post: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=66470

Get the RCBS Rockchucker kit, the mid priced one, a set of .223 Lee Pacesetter dies, a tumbler from Harbor Freight, a bag of Lizard Litter from Petco, and an RCBS Primer Pocket Swager set, and you should be good to go for a while. Pick up a case trimmer later, most of the surplus brass I've used is still under max length.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    First off, search this reloading forum. There a a ton of threads on getting started, what you need and what to expect.:)

How often do you plan to reload? (volume reloading, occasional shooting)

What kind of ammo are you making? (Plinking, varmint, match...)

What kind of rifle and what twist rate barrel? (AR, bolt action)

A good amount of threads contain "laundry lists" of equipment needed and various components you may encounter.:thumbsup:

I am just starting with a progressive press after years of single stage press reloading. It's been interesting, but the guys here at MDS are always willing to help and give input.

I personally haven't used the Loadmaster, but I bet there is someone here who has.;)

Good luck!:beer:

Oreo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 23, 2008
    Depending on your budget & intentions you should at least consider spending up front for a good progressive press. A lot of people buy single stage presses only to have to spend again upgrading later.

Your very first purchase should be the ABC's of reloading book. Give it a read. Then shop.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Depending on your budget & intentions you should at least consider spending up front for a good progressive press. A lot of people buy single stage presses only to have to spend again upgrading later.

Your very first purchase should be the ABC's of reloading book. Give it a read. Then shop.

load master is progressive loading press.. ;)

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/671219/lee-load-master-progressive-press

i do agree.. do your reasearch first..if you can.. find somebody close to show you the basics etc.

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    I'd look at the Hornady / Dillon / RCBS progressive reloaders... If you are doing 223 or 5.6 (which are not actually the same).

It's easier to reload for a bolt action rifle than a semi-auto (AR-15) rifle.

Progressives are nice, but they are expensive and you really need to be mechanically inclined.

Also, you are best of with a match type of bullet seating die, such as a Redding Match Seating Die for 223/5.56.

The other dies can be normal RCBS or Hondady dies... I rank Redding & RCBS as about the same, except for the match dies, and then Hornady dies and certain Dilion dies.

The you have the rest...

Unfortunately, you still need to resize the 223 brass using a full length resizer and a lot of Hornady One Shot spray on case lube. Then you can put it into a progressive reloader...

So, ultimately, you should probably get get an RCBS Rockchucker, or the Redding / Hornady single stage press... a tumbler, dies, and powder measure. Start there... then move to progressive one you understand what you need to do.

223 is actually a PITA to reload for in an AR-15 type rifle, as you need to do a lot of work in order get a super accurate load. A bolt action 223 is really easy to load for...

06MegaCTD

Mar 16, 2009
    Hanover
    if you want to see the whole process with a single stage from cleaning to prepping, trimming, swaging primer hole, and of course loading shoot me a pm and you can always stop by and i can show you.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Once I get to know my press a little better, I'll jump in here with the rest of the Big Blue fanboys.:D:kicknuts:

I didnt mention your name. :lol2:

Some like porsche and some like ferds. Is all im saying. No need to make everything a holy war. :lol2:

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    I didnt mention your name. :lol2:

Some like porsche and some like ferds. Is all im saying. No need to make everything a holy war. :lol2:

If you would have let me try your press, I may have been a Hornady guy today.:innocent0

The legend goes, Fidel Castro stealthily came into the United States looking to become allies. Eisenhower refused to meet, sent his #2 to talk with him and never even asked if Castro would like a drink. Castro left pissed and jumped on the communist bandwagon. Khrushchev, upon hearing this, met him with open arms.

Moral of the story: You should have invited me over to see your press and have a beer. Now you have to put up with my inevitable big, bad, Blue press fanboyism.:rasp:

:lol2:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I'm an lnl-AP owner & phanboi. No blue here. ;)

:party29:

If you would have let me try your press, I may have been a Hornady guy today.:innocent0

The legend goes, Fidel Castro stealthily came into the United States looking to become allies. Eisenhower refused to meet, sent his #2 to talk with him and never even asked if Castro would like a drink. Castro left pissed and jumped on the communist bandwagon. Khrushchev, upon hearing this, met him with open arms.

Moral of the story: You should have invited me over to see your press and have a beer. Now you have to put up with my inevitable big, bad, Blue press fanboyism.:rasp:

:lol2:
    not a mind reader, dude. If you dont ask, I wouldnt know. :D

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Many of the supplies and steps for reloading come from the manual you will need to read and understand. As mentioned, the ABC's Of Reloading is a good start. I have 4 manuals for cross-reference and I still need to come here with questions. In fact I just picked up the tip that .223/5.56 is a PITA for the AR.

The RCBS Rockchucker Kit and at least one of the Leee kits come with manuals.

When I started reloading I went to the oldest first posts in the Reloading section here and just began reading and reading...picked up great tips and info.

Oreo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 23, 2008
    Why is .223 for an AR any more difficult then any other rifle? Or caliber for that matter?

One thing is certain, loading rifle calibers, especially if you're starting with unprocessed military brass, or ending up with bench-rest quality ammo, is way more work then pistol calibers. That's not specific to the AR or .223 though.

ALBY

Jan 5, 2008
    You need to start with processed brass.

Loading .223 is easy. Brass prep sucks mightily !

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom