• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eARl

Mar 25, 2014
    Hello, mdshooters! I have an Sbr that was filed as a .223. I am going to start using my .22 upper. I know there are no restrictions on oal, but can I use a vertical grip? Can I legally modify or make my own stock for my Sbr or a standard rifle? If I use the .22 upper, I want to use a picatinny adapter for it.
    Thanks!!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I suspect I'm not the only one confused here .

Could you restate your starting point , and your questions , in the form of a sentence for each ?

eARl

Mar 25, 2014
    Can I use a vertical grip on my .22 Sbr?
    Is there anything illegal about modifying or making my own stock?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    SBRs can use a vertical grip.
    You can modify or make a stock. You could make ALL the parts if you want.
    As long as you don't have the .223 upper installed you should be able to do anything with the lower. I'm not a lawyer but it only needs to be in a MD legal configuration when assembled. You can reconfigure the lower to be legal for a 22LR upper and then install that.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    As long as the SBR can be returned to its original caliber and length(in this case, a .223/5.56) you can modify anything you want.

If you plan on changing caliber and length permanently, you should notify ATF of the permanent changes.

You can use VFGs on any and all SBRs.

If you no longer want that gun to be an SBR, you can change back to a rifle by changing the barrel length to 16" or longer.

eARl

Mar 25, 2014
    SBRs can use a vertical grip.
    You can modify or make a stock. You could make ALL the parts if you want.
    As long as you don't have the .223 upper installed you should be able to do anything with the lower. I'm not a lawyer but it only needs to be in a MD legal configuration when assembled. You can reconfigure the lower to be legal for a 22LR upper and then install that.

As long as the SBR can be returned to its original caliber and length(in this case, a .223/5.56) you can modify anything you want.

If you plan on changing caliber and length permanently, you should notify ATF of the permanent changes.

You can use VFGs on any and all SBRs.

If you no longer want that gun to be an SBR, you can change back to a rifle by changing the barrel length to 16" or longer.
    Awesome, thanks for all the help! I know some of these questions have been asked over and over again by so many. I appreciate you taking the time and helping me.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    You are looking to make a 22 SBR with a Sig style side folder? Others answered the legal questions(VFGs and any stock is fine on rimfire SBRs in MD), but I'm curious about the stock you plan on making? I have a couple side folding 22 SBRs, a 4.5" AR22 with a knock off LAW, and a 10/22 currently with a SB 1913. I would love to replace that brace with a stock being it's an SBR now, but Sig stocks are stupid expensive and backordered. A3 tactical does have adapters and parts to assemble a Sig pic rail style folder, have some of their stuff and it's awesome, but kida silly to spend almost what a 22 charger costs for a stock to add to it.
    20230519_091452.jpg

eARl

Mar 25, 2014
    You are looking to make a 22 SBR with a Sig style side folder? Others answered the legal questions(VFGs and any stock is fine on rimfire SBRs in MD), but I'm curious about the stock you plan on making? I have a couple side folding 22 SBRs, a 4.5" AR22 with a knock off LAW, and a 10/22 currently with a SB 1913. I would love to replace that brace with a stock being it's an SBR now, but Sig stocks are stupid expensive and backordered. A3 tactical does have adapters and parts to assemble a Sig pic rail style folder, have some of their stuff and it's awesome, but kida silly to spend almost what a 22 charger costs for a stock to add to it.
    View attachment 420403
    Yeah, I already have a kns Picatinny adapter with a strike industries Pdw style brace. I’m going to “attempt” to manufacture my own mcx/mpx stock. I doubt I will find a reasonable way to make it fold. Have you or anyone here thought about using the Airsoft folding stocks or adapters for a very low recoiling .22 Sbr? I’m tempted to give it a try

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Yeah, I already have a kns Picatinny adapter with a strike industries Pdw style brace. I’m going to “attempt” to manufacture my own mcx/mpx stock. I doubt I will find a reasonable way to make it fold. Have you or anyone here thought about using the Airsoft folding stocks or adapters for a very low recoiling .22 Sbr? I’m tempted to give it a try
    Yes. The folding adapter on my AR22 is basically an airsoft part, it holds up fine, but the buffer retainer and BCG extension were junk, although not needed on a 22. A decent airsoft spec part should be fine, most are either MCX/MPX knockoffs or JMAC folders. There are also 1913 adapters for Zhukov stocks that work out well. Most aluminum airsoft spec stocks are still $100-ish once you factor in shipping from Asia, or someone domestic that has them. I don't want to buy a $200+ Sig stock for each rifle that only cost a couple hundred to build.

eARl

Mar 25, 2014
    Yes. The folding adapter on my AR22 is basically an airsoft part, it holds up fine, but the buffer retainer and BCG extension were junk, although not needed on a 22. A decent airsoft spec part should be fine, most are either MCX/MPX knockoffs or JMAC folders. There are also 1913 adapters for Zhukov stocks that work out well. Most aluminum airsoft spec stocks are still $100-ish once you factor in shipping from Asia, or someone domestic that has them. I don't want to buy a $200+ Sig stock for each rifle that only cost a couple hundred to build.
    Do the Magpul Zhukov stocks adapt to a 1913 pic. Rail? I also didn’t know if I would like it folding to the right side. I would prefer the left folding, if possible.

eARl

Mar 25, 2014
    This is how it sits currently. I wish I could collapse this strike industries brace, but it hits the sides of the upper receiver. I thought about shaving some off of the bars. I’m just not sure if it will affect functionality of the brace

Attachments

• IMG_5189.jpeg
      IMG_5189.jpeg
      93.9 KB · Views: 53

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This is how it sits currently. I wish I could collapse this strike industries brace, but it hits the sides of the upper receiver. I thought about shaving some off of the bars. I’m just not sure if it will affect functionality of the brace
    That's sweet!

eARl

Mar 25, 2014
    That's sweet!
    Thanks, I’ve had it for a few years. It’s a edc tactical upper and lower. I don’t think they are in business anymore, I think they were located in Virginia. I mainly bought it because of the patriot brown color and the smoky the bear. It also says “only you can return fire”

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom