• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    I am new to .22 and hunting. It's most likely going to use for rabbit hunting. I did a quick search and found that the Ruger 10-22 was the best bet, especially in price at around $200. Also I don't need a permit to hunt on private land with permission right?

Suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you mean a Hunting License, yes you need one.

( Unless it is Your land in question.)

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Only the landowner can hunt their own property without a license. Anyone else needs one.

Also, I've had a Marlin 60 .22 for about 17 years and have never had an issue with it. And it drives nails at 50 yards.

noahhh

Jan 28, 2009
    Arnold,Md
    I submit that an autoloader may not be the best choice for a newbie to hunt with. I would get the 10-22, of course, but I would also get a single shot and sharpen my hunting/shooting skills with that first. No matter how disciplined one may think he is, there is the temptation to "lay down suppressing fire", especially if Bre'r Rabbit is running.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Most any .22 rifle will do as long as you can accurately shoot it. My daughter shoots a Henry Lever .22. She loves it (and I've resigned myself that it's now hers.) I use a 10/22 and a Marlin 795

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I wouldn't call the 10-22 your best bet as a 22LR hunting rifle. It's a decent option if your budget is tiny but the short barrel works against you. A better alternative is the 22" Ruger American Rimfire bolt rifle in 22LR since it uses 10-22 magazines, which is really nice if you already own a 10-22. If you don't own a 10-22, there are plenty of nice, affordable 22LR bolt rifles with a 20"+ barrel.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Long barrel because it is easier to swing? Standard velocity 22lr generally maximizes velocity in a 16-17" barrel. HV is around an 18" barrel for maximum velocity. Only the hyper velocity ones like stingers can use something longer.

Any length past about 18" for 22lr generally means you are getting less velocity and carrying more weight. It makes it easier to track and swing the rifle hunting something like a moving rabbit.

Two things to note. If you don't have a property with good fields and/or don't have hunting dogs it is going to be hard to find rabbits. Granted I am not often in great terrain for rabbits, but in maybe 200 hours of field time hunting deer, squirrels and turkey I've seen a rabbit one time. I see a few a year out in my yard and tons when walking the suburbs closer to Baltimore.

If using dogs, get a shotgun. If beating bushes, get a shotgun. Pretty much anything other than hunting the edges of hedgerows or fields, use a shotgun.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Long barrel because it is easier to swing? Standard velocity 22lr generally maximizes velocity in a 16-17" barrel. HV is around an 18" barrel for maximum velocity. Only the hyper velocity ones like stingers can use something longer.

Any length last about 18" for 22lr generally means you are getting less velocity and carrying more weight. It makes it easier to track and swing the rifle hunting something like a moving rabbit.

Two things to note. If you don't have a property with good fields and/or don't have hunting dogs it is going to be hard to find rabbits. Granted I am not often in great strain for rabbits, but in maybe 200 hours of field time hunting deer, squirrels and turkey I've seen a rabbit one time. I see a few a year out in my yard and tons when walking the suburbs closer to Baltimore.

If using dogs, get a shotgun. If beating bushes, get a shotgun. Pretty much anything other than hunting the edges of hedgerows or fields, use a shotgun.

Agree

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    It's a rare place you can spray .22's willy-nilly at a bunny and still be sure of being safe. I'd vote for an old Marlin, Savage, Winchester,etc. bolt gun. They are made better than just about anything modern and shot placement becomes critical with slow follow-up. Just my 2 cents

Duck

Apr 11, 2012
    Baltimore
    For rabbits I use a 12 or 20 ga. Shotgun. I feel it's safer ( shot does not carry as far as the 22 plus less chance of ricochet.) when working hedge rows or large brush piles with a partner. The 22 can carry over a mile. Be aware of your background when you shoot.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Shotgun is the best way to hunt rabbits. Dogs make it easier. Rabbit hunting sucks around me anymore. The amount of prey birds I've seen lately keeps rabbits sitting tight. They won't run unless the beagle bites them...

If you could find them sitting still, a rifle would work but I have never seen that during hunting season. In the summer they sit everywhere leading one to believe it's that easy. When it gets cold and dark early, they don't sit in the open like that.

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Shotgun and 2 of these and if the bunnies are around its on. Gonna go Saturday to 1 of the deer farms we have and bust the marsh rabbits. The older dog is 13 and the younger one will be 3. Young guy is a ballistic missile. The old girl still has it but she's slowing down a bit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      90.9 KB · Views: 319

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I'm no hunting pro but a shotgun seems like overkill for a bunny. I shot a rabbit once as a kid with a pump air rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom