2024 - SB501 - Handguns - Wear, Carry, and Transport Laws - Handbook Publication

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Handguns - Wear, Carry, and Transport Laws - Handbook Publication

Requiring the Secretary of State Police to annually publish, beginning on October 1, 2024, a handbook summarizing State laws relating to wearing, carrying, and transporting a handgun in public; and requiring the Secretary to make copies of the handbook available to members of the public.

Link to Bill: https://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2024RS/bills/sb/sb0501F.pdf

Bill Hearing Date:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Honestly, I almost kind of like this idea, because the laws have become absurdly hard to keep track of.

Bad news, I do wonder if the summaries will invent some new restrictions along the way. Needs to have an appeal process for a pre-pub draft.

Requiring the Secretary of State Police to annually publish, beginning on October 1, 2024, a handbook summarizing State laws relating to wearing, carrying, and transporting a handgun in public; and requiring the Secretary to make copies of the handbook available to members of the public.

Bill Hearing Date:
    Based solely upon your quick summary, I would not be opposed to this.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore

Bill Hearing Date:
    Fabulous!

It would only need updating every 90-180 days.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Does the bill mandate it has to be made available to the public for FREE? I’m not opposed to this, but I could see this turning into a “if you want to keep your W&C you need to buy the book each year” situation (knowing the commies in charge of things).

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Does the bill mandate it has to be made available to the public for FREE? I’m not opposed to this, but I could see this turning into a “if you want to keep your W&C you need to buy the book each year” situation (knowing the commies in charge of things).
    In its current form, no, it does not say anything like that.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I agree, this should be FREE. I hope someone put in an amendment for that.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I agree, this should be FREE. I hope someone put in an amendment for that.
    I agree, let's keep MSP from coming up with any brilliant ideas.

That said, I'd be surprised if they didn't also publish it as a PDF on their website.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Just because a handbook is published does not mean it will be accurate or honest in their assumptions. After all their goal is to confuse and deflect.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    When will one of our esteemed representatives slip the "Gotcha!" language into the bill? Like requiring it to be printed in coffee table book format, and it must be carried along with your permit for the permit to be valid? And it'll be required to be opened to the page on lawful self defense requirements prior to pulling to deholstering in a self-defense situation. MGA doesn't pass 2A laws that don't somehow make owning and carrying more burdensome, with added legal risk.

Yes, I have chronic BGOS from environmental exposure to MD legislative processes.

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Honestly, I almost kind of like this idea, because the laws have become absurdly hard to keep track of.

Bad news, I do wonder if the summaries will invent some new restrictions along the way. Needs to have an appeal process for a pre-pub draft.
    And it needs to be made a lot more public than the feds do with the Federal Register, which is a massive tome difficult to wade thru, but which the federal leviathan uses as an excuse to say they informed the public of new regs created by non-elected entities (IRS DOJ ATF, etc...)

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    They could actually save money by not doing this, and instead pass a law that revises and makes it legal to transport a handgun anytime.
    Problem solved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    That said, I'd be surprised if they didn't also publish it as a PDF on their website.
    1706335439814.gif

fredthe

MDS Supporter
    Oct 18, 2023
    Bowie, MD
    Note it was introduced by a Republican senator from western MD. He's likely as fed up as the rest of us with the complexity of the laws.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Screw a handbook. They should publish and distribute a simple brochure. If they can't clarify the laws in a simple brochure they need to start repealing and simplifying laws until they can. Start off by doing away with the unconstitutional ones

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Screw a handbook. They should publish and distribute a simple brochure. If they can't clarify the laws in a simple brochure they need to start repealing and simplifying laws until they can. Start off by doing away with the unconstitutional ones
    Sounds like you don't already know how complex and confusing MD gun laws are. There is no way a "simple borchure" could cover the subject.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Easy. Just repeal everything passed since 1714.

Gun control act of 1715 Maryland

“And be it Enacted, by the Authority, Advice and Consent aforesaid, That no Negro or other
    Slave, within this Province, shall be permitted to carry any Gun or any other offensive
    Weapon, from off their Master’s Land, without Licence from their said Master….” (Archives
    of Maryland 75:268 XXXIII)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom