2024 - HB546 (SB324)- Handgun Permits - Accidental Discharge and Training Requirements - Maryland State Police Gun Center (Firearm Safety Act of 2024)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Handgun Permits - Accidental Discharge and Training Requirements - Maryland State Police Gun Center (Firearm Safety Act of 2024)

Requiring a person who holds a handgun permit and accidentally discharges a firearm to register within 90 days for a certain firearms safety training course and complete the course within 6 months of the incident; requiring the Secretary of State Police to revoke a handgun permit of a certain person who fails to successfully complete a certain firearms safety training course; requiring the Secretary to provide certain written notice to a person whose handgun permit is revoked; etc.

Link to House Bill: https://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2024RS/bills/hb/hb0546F.pdf

House Hearing:

Link to Senate Bill: https://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2024RS/bills/sb/sb0324F.pdf

House Hearing:

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Handgun Permits - Accidental Discharge and Training Requirements - Maryland State Police Gun Center (Firearm Safety Act of 2024)

Requiring a person who holds a handgun permit and accidentally discharges a firearm to register within 90 days for a certain firearms safety training course and complete the course within 6 months of the incident; requiring the Secretary of State Police to revoke a handgun permit of a certain person who fails to successfully complete a certain firearms safety training course; requiring the Secretary to provide certain written notice to a person whose handgun permit is revoked; etc.

Link to House Bill: https://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2024RS/bills/hb/hb0546F.pdf

House Hearing:

Link to Senate Bill: https://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2024RS/bills/sb/sb0324F.pdf

House Hearing:
    Thanks for posting the links.

As I read through the language, one thing I see missing.

Where are the proposed laws to curb INTENTIONAL DISCHARGE of FIREARMS by REAL CRIMINALS?

Also, HOW MANY LICENSED to CARRY gun owners do we know who ACCIDENTALLY DISCHARGE their FIREARMS so that BODILY INJURY or DEATH occur like these proposed laws are meant to address?

Somehow, I think the offender number will be quite small. Don't you?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Where are the proposed laws to curb INTENTIONAL DISCHARGE of FIREARMS by REAL CRIMINALS?

Also, HOW MANY LICENSED to CARRY gun owners do we know who ACCIDENTALLY DISCHARGE their FIREARMS so that BODILY INJURY or DEATH occur like these proposed laws are meant to address?

No problem on the links, I try to improve the bill posting each session.

I'm betting we will be able to count the numbers on one hand and have 4 fingers and a thumb left over.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore

Criminals aren't required to carry any insurance.

Go figure.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    No problem on the links, I try to improve the bill posting each session.

I'm betting we will be able to count the numbers on one hand and have 4 fingers and a thumb left over.
    Much appreciated.

Also, re unintentional discharges of firearms. One of my first conversations I had with

U.S.SFC_RET. We discussed the rules of firearm safety, which I practice religiously and repeatedly each time I handle a weapon.​

I actually lost one of my childhood friends at 17 years old due to and AD. I was not present or privy to them having this weapon. Needless to say, neither he nor our other buddy who was with him were legal owners of the .22 that ended his life, That would not have mattered if the rules of gun safety were followed, the boy would never have been shot. Even if it was someone's dad's, brother's, gun or whatever.

Same goes for legal users of firearms.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Are police held to the same standard? I’ve read about more NDs from officers than John Q. Public (not cop bashing, just stating my observation).

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Are police held to the same standard? I’ve read about more NDs from officers than John Q. Public (not cop bashing, just stating my observation).
    Right now, that is on an individual department basis.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    For those opposed- Use the MSI Bill Tracker. Write up your TESTIMONY against the bill, explain why you oppose.

When it's scheduled for a hearing SIGN UP to testify.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I know for a fact that at a Federal Training Centers you F-Up you are gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom