• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Not to worry on such a thing.
    What ever time you can spare is better than none at all.

If you can't attend in person, submit written testimony anyways.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Or, which day would (could) have less when we'd be looking for numbers on? I can't commit to 2 days.

No way to honestly tell. Pick one (if you have the ability to do so) and go with it. You can submit written testimony to be on record for the other day as well.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    I received this email yesterday (2/11) on SB100:
    Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 3:16 PM
    Subject: SB-100 Public Safety - Permit to Carry, Wear, or Transport a Handgun - Qualifications

Dear Pro-Second Amendment Advocate:

I wanted to advise you that Senator Wayne Norman, District 35, Cecil and Harford Counties, has introduced Senate Bill 100 – Public Safety – Permit to Carry, Wear, or Transport a Handgun – Qualifications.

The purpose of this bill is to clarifying that “self-defense” can qualify as a good and substantial reason to wear, carry, or transport a handgun for purposes of the issuance by the Secretary of State Police of a permit to carry, wear, or transport a handgun.

You may recall this legislation was introduced during the 2014 Legislative Session by our good friend, retired Senator Nancy Jacobs.

If you would like to read the bill, please use this link:

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2015RS/bills/sb/sb0100f.pdf

A hearing has been scheduled for March 12, 2015 at 1 p.m. in the Senate Judicial Proceeding Committee.

We hope you will consider coming to Annapolis for the hearing and provide written or oral testimony.

I have attached “Helpful Information for Those Testifying” which will provide information on parking in Annapolis, the location of hearing rooms, signing-up and preparation for testifying and other useful tips.

Our office would appreciate hearing if you are planning on attending the hearing.

If I can be of any assistance, please feel free to contact me at 410-841-3603.

Sincerely,

Cynthia W. Titus
    Legislative Aide to Senator Wayne Norman

Mr H

Banana'd
    One I'm not including as a 2A bill yet, as it would effect much more than permits or HQLs, is SB0686
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2015RS/bills/sb/sb0686f.pdf
    Requiring the Attorney General to take specified steps to identify, collect, and publish in a specified manner laws that impose a specified collateral sanction on a person who is convicted of a specified offense; requiring a State's Attorney to provide specified information to a person charged with an offense; requiring a court to confirm that a specified notice has been received and is understood by a specified person; providing that a new collateral sanction may be imposed only by a specified procedure; etc.

This appears to put a whole new level of despotism in the hands of the Attorney General, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around it.

Even more troubling is that is seems to be co-sponsored by all "antis"... and Michael Hough!!!

Would someone in his district please find out some more information on this?!!

I'm almost ready to call this the "Liberty Assassination Act"... but need more expert input!

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    The House and Senate are both in session on Monday.
    If you have the day off, why not visit your representatives ;)

MrNiceGuy

Dec 9, 2013
    One I'm not including as a 2A bill yet, as it would effect much more than permits or HQLs, is SB0686
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2015RS/bills/sb/sb0686f.pdf

This appears to put a whole new level of despotism in the hands of the Attorney General, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around it.

Even more troubling is that is seems to be co-sponsored by all "antis"... and Michael Hough!!!

Would someone in his district please find out some more information on this?!!

I'm almost ready to call this the "Liberty Assassination Act"... but need more expert input!

I could be reading this incorrectly, but it seems primarily centered around ensuring that whenever someone is facing charges, they're made aware of any and all possible consequences beyond the direct issues of jail and fines. So for example, explaining to someone who's facing a domestic violence charge that their right to keep and bear arms is also on the line. So long as that's really all it is (and again, I could be wrong about it), I don't really have any problem with it.

Code:

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    NICS check bill was withdrawn w/unfavorable report. Don't know if it is automatically unfavorable when withdrawn or it was voted on.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    NICS check bill was withdrawn w/unfavorable report. Don't know if it is automatically unfavorable when withdrawn or it was voted on.
    Withdrawn means the bill sponsor revoked the bill; those are always reported as "unfavorable" once the revocation is acted on by the committee chair.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Withdrawn means the bill sponsor revoked the bill; those are always reported as "unfavorable" once the revocation is acted on by the committee chair.

I am well aware what withdrawn means. What I was unsure of was whether or not they held a vote post request of withdrawal of the bill to give it its unfavorable status or if it was merely unfavorable by nature of being withdrawn.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Regarding HB 464:
    5–303.1.
    A PERMIT ISSUED BY ANOTHER STATE TO AN INDIVIDUAL TO CARRY A HANDGUN, INCLUDING A CONCEALED HANDGUN, IS VALID IN THIS STATE.

Folks in. MD that have Utah permits will be screwed by this bill:

53-5-704. Bureau duties -- Permit to carry concealed firearm -- Certification for concealed firearms instructor -- Requirements for issuance -- Violation -- Denial, suspension, or revocation -- Appeal procedure.
    (4) (a) In addition to meeting the other qualifications for the issuance of a concealed firearm permit under this section, a nonresident applicant who resides in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah permit or has reciprocity with Utah's concealed firearm permit law shall:
    (i) hold a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit issued by the appropriate permitting authority of the nonresident applicant's state of residency
    ; and
    (ii) submit a photocopy or electronic copy of the nonresident applicant's current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit referred to in Subsection (4)(a)(i).
    (b) A nonresident applicant who knowingly and willfully provides false information to the bureau under Subsection (4)(a) is prohibited f rom holding a Utah concealed firearm permit for a period of 10 years.
    (c) Subsection (4)(a) applies to all applications for the issuance of a concealed firearm permit that are received by the bureau after May 10, 2011.
    (d) Beginning January 1, 2012, Subsection (4)(a) also applies to an application for renewal of a concealed firearm permit by a nonresident.

Last year there was discussion about having the Utah law modified, not sure if that happened.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Regarding HB 464:

53-5-704. Bureau duties -- Permit to carry concealed firearm -- Certification for concealed firearms instructor -- Requirements for issuance -- Violation -- Denial, suspension, or revocation -- Appeal procedure.
    (4) (a) In addition to meeting the other qualifications for the issuance of a concealed firearm permit under this section, a nonresident applicant who resides in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah permit or has reciprocity with Utah's concealed firearm permit law shall:
    (i) hold a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit issued by the appropriate permitting authority of the nonresident applicant's state of residency
    ; and
    (ii) submit a photocopy or electronic copy of the nonresident applicant's current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit referred to in Subsection (4)(a)(i).
    (b) A nonresident applicant who knowingly and willfully provides false information to the bureau under Subsection (4)(a) is prohibited f rom holding a Utah concealed firearm permit for a period of 10 years.
    (c) Subsection (4)(a) applies to all applications for the issuance of a concealed firearm permit that are received by the bureau after May 10, 2011.
    (d) Beginning January 1, 2012, Subsection (4)(a) also applies to an application for renewal of a concealed firearm permit by a nonresident.

Last year there was discussion about having the Utah law modified, not sure if that happened.

there is a change or something with this bill expected. be patient before firing up the email machines. if it needs to be shot down, msi and nra and msrpa will shoot it down. the sponsor is a friendly and wint let us get screwed

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Regarding HB 464:

; and

what if you have a florida non resident and a Virginia non resident? why does that single out Utah? just askin cause I don't know.
    thanks.

Mr H

Banana'd
    there is a change or something with this bill expected. be patient before firing up the email machines. if it needs to be shot down, msi and nra and msrpa will shoot it down. the sponsor is a friendly and wint let us get screwed

Plenty of opportunity to suggest amendments.

A reminder to the masses... Proposed legislation is not a 'given' as written, and nothing is ever final until it is.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Plenty of opportunity to suggest amendments. A reminder to the masses... Proposed legislation is not a 'given' as written, and nothing is ever final until it is.

There isn't a "good" amendment to this bill on the MD side for Utah holders.. Requires a statute change on the Utah side. As soon as MD makes another state permit "valid", Utah law explicitly invalidates the non- resident permit

Btw, looks like VA and FL don't have a similar requirement for the non resident permit holder to have a carry permit in their home state.

Need to be cautious that an amendment isn't added about non-resident permits...a patchwork of other permits could cover the Utah permit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom