• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Our cobweb picker came back today. I was contemplating a nectar feeder, but they attract bees and my wife is melissophobic. Now I'll just have reason to procrastinate from cleaning cobwebs!

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Busiest year ever on our feeder already. Hard to tell how many but we have quite a few birds on the feeder all day long.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    ...I like seeing them fight...they get territorial over one feeder even if its got five spots to drink out of:lol2:

I like when two are busy fighting and a third swoops in for a quick drink while the others are distracted. Just hung mine up this afternoon and looking forward to another summer of hummingbirds.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Had our feeders out for a couple weeks now hoping to attract some.
    Saw one hummingbird this past weekend, didn't get a really good look at it though.
    Also, we got a Hummingbird Moth the week before. If you've never seen one, they are pretty neat. Kinda look like a hummingbird with no beak till you get close to them. They aren't as high strung as the birds, and you can usually get pretty close and get a good look at them without them immediately flying off.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Its been a couple of years since of put out feeders for the Hummingbirds. Thanks for mentioning it. A few years ago it was really hot and I noticed my feeder was empty so I went and got the solution out of the fridge and filled it up. A friend and I were watching it and one flew up and started drinking then all of a sudden it flew up and then just hovered to the ground. I went over and picked it up and held it for about 10 sec.before it flew away. I think the cold fluid gave it a brain freeze. It was really cooll to hold one!
    :lol2:
    I had one in my greenhouse sipping up the necter. It didn't seem to mind my presence.
    they are brave little birds..
    Busiest year ever on our feeder already. Hard to tell how many but we have quite a few birds on the feeder all day long.
    http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/bwdsite/learn/hummingbirds/faqs.php

Since this thread opened, I put out the feeder (I can't take credit for the picture, my wife did it):

cool pic!

Boiling the sugar/water solution helps remove the chlorine from the water if you are on city water...just an FYI for people wondering. And obviously let it cool before putting in the feeders..:D

Also I don't put red dye in my mix, does anyone else? Ive read it doesn't really help attract them.

Just a Guy at the Range

Dec 13, 2011
    Hung our feeders a couple of weeks ago in Stewartstown, Pa, and we almost immediately saw at 3 different coloration's. Not sure what specific hummers these little fellers are, since this is a new hobby for us.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Hung our feeders a couple of weeks ago in Stewartstown, Pa, and we almost immediately saw at 3 different coloration's. Not sure what specific hummers these little fellers are, since this is a new hobby for us.

cool you might be seeing male and females of Ruby Throats.

2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I've given up on hummingbirds... They are just too hard to hit with a .308.

J/k, they are quite easy to nail.

J/k, I'd never do that.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Boiling the sugar/water solution helps remove the chlorine from the water if you are on city water...just an FYI for people wondering. And obviously let it cool before putting in the feeders..:D

Also I don't put red dye in my mix, does anyone else? Ive read it doesn't really help attract them.

We do the sugar/water solution and as you don't use the dye. If you notice in the picture, the top of the feeder is red.

radial

Nov 23, 2011
    Boyds
    I put my feeders up last week of April, and had at least one bird feeding immediately. They've been coming ever since. I haven't really watched enough yet to know whether it's lots of visits from just a few birds or lots of birds. But they were definitely early this year.

tennisdr

Apr 22, 2012
    Before moving here I must have been in the middle of the hummer migration south in Mississippi. In the late summer I would have as many as 10 feeders and have 100 or more ruby throats at one time swarming like bees. I could go out and be still holding a red cup of sugar water and they would come land on my hand to drink. unreal experience.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I put my feeders up last week of April, and had at least one bird feeding immediately. They've been coming ever since. I haven't really watched enough yet to know whether it's lots of visits from just a few birds or lots of birds. But they were definitely early this year.
    you'll get more...they either find it or tell their buddies...:D
    Before moving here I must have been in the middle of the hummer migration south in Mississippi. In the late summer I would have as many as 10 feeders and have 100 or more ruby throats at one time swarming like bees. I could go out and be still holding a red cup of sugar water and they would come land on my hand to drink. unreal experience.

wow that's cool most Ive had was 20 or so on one feeder...too bad you didn't take video or a pic...lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom