• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    I don't know much about shotguns, but a buddy of mine had a question, so I told him i would ask.

He has an old Remington 1100 Shotgun passed down to him, that is safe to shoot. The barrel accepts 2 3/4" shells, and is fully choked. He would like to use it to hunt, but he has heard that using steel in a fully choked barrel is not safe. What say you hunters?

He was looking for a replacement barrel that was threaded and 3", but says they are unobtanium .

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I think steel is OK in modified, but not full (unless it is specifically made for steel, which I really doubt an old fixed one would be). Maybe he could get the barrel threaded for chokes? I think there was an old thread about that...but I don't know if I can find it.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    This is the response verbatim that I got from Remington regarding firing steel shot out of an 878 with a fixed full choke:

Remington said:
    Thank you for visiting Remington Country! We certainly appreciate you taking the time to write in with your question. You can shoot steel shot through any Remington barrel made since 1950. In a fixed full choke, you can shoot up to a size #2 pellet. Anything larger would not perform well out of a fixed full choke and could open up your muzzle over time.

So, if it's newer than 1950 and has a fixed full, you can shoot steel up to size 2 shot and be good to go.

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    Great, thanks guys for the feed back. Sounds like Remington says it should be OK under a steel #2, and the guys who put the little bombs next to their face an pull the trigger don't think its a great idea.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Tell him to use bithmith shot made for older shotguns.

Bismuth is better all around. Better deformation upon impact, easier on your barrels and chokes, better kinetic energy, but it's often hard to find unless you get it early in the season. It's always sold out by the time I head out for mid-winter duck and goose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom