• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    my father in-law gave us this for christmas. he said he fired it once in the 70's and since put it away. he figured he'd start handing his guns down now instead of after he dies. now i can't wait til next christmas:innocent0

Attachments

• DSC00974.jpg
      DSC00974.jpg
      72.6 KB · Views: 358
    • DSC00975.jpg
      DSC00975.jpg
      81.8 KB · Views: 348

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    NICE hunk of iron, now you need a nice Model 92 in 44Mag to accent it!:thumbsup:

Careful, I don't think they had the transfer bar safety. No need for the 357 for deer garbage now that you have a REAL magnum cartridge!

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    BlackBart, I think all of the "New Model" guns had the transfer bar.

I agree nice gun and yes a lever rifle would be a great accessory.

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    NICE hunk of iron, now you need a nice Model 92 in 44Mag to accent it!:thumbsup:

Careful, I don't think they had the transfer bar safety. No need for the 357 for deer garbage now that you have a REAL magnum cartridge!

Thanks:) i read 73 was the first year of the transfer bar so i should be good.

i didn't want to say it but...... amy's brother got his S&W 29-2 :sad20:

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Thanks:) i read 73 was the first year of the transfer bar so i should be good.

i didn't want to say it but...... amy's brother got his S&W 29-2 :sad20:

No big deal, he's his son and you certainly didn't get short changed in the deal. Id be happy as a lark with the Super Blackhawk, I shot a friends years ago, I could actually feel it wanting to twist upon firing. :thumbsup:! Screw S&W. ;)

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    No big deal, he's his son and you certainly didn't get short changed in the deal. Screw S&W. ;)

oh yea i definetly understand, i would do the same thing:thumbsup: im excited to shoot it but it needs a good cleaning from the old dried oil. i wish i could've seen the look on my face when amy tore the first piece of wrapping paper and uncovered the ruger logo:D

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    oh yea i definetly understand, i would do the same thing:thumbsup: im excited to shoot it but it needs a good cleaning from the old dried oil. i wish i could've seen the look on my face when amy tore the first piece of wrapping paper and uncovered the ruger logo:D

Now that you have a modern classic pistol, time to get a REAL classic TransAm. :D A 69 or 70 in your future? :thumbsup:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    My first SA revolver was a stainless SBH. WONDERFUL hand cannon.

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    Now that you have a modern classic pistol, time to get a REAL classic TransAm. :D A 69 or 70 in your future? :thumbsup:

ouch, just when i thought we were pals;) my dream is a 67 firebird since i have the last of the breed. but 69 or 70 would suffice, especially the white and blue:D i'm always on the lookout but not looking for anymore projects.
    besides the firehawk spanks all the classics at the light:gun3:

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    ouch, just when i thought we were pals;) my dream is a 67 firebird since i have the last of the breed. but 69 or 70 would suffice, especially the white and blue:D i'm always on the lookout but not looking for anymore projects.
    besides the firehawk spanks all the classics at the light:gun3:

True BUT they look nothing like the real deal! :D I had a 68 once upon a time, some bastard stole it, they found it weeks later in the woods of Charles county. Either way I'm happy for you, fine weapon made to enjoy and you will NEVER wear it out!

Attachments

• 1969_pontiac_trans_am-pic-12155.jpg
      1969_pontiac_trans_am-pic-12155.jpg
      86.6 KB · Views: 229

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    True BUT they look nothing like the real deal! :D I had a 68 once upon a time, some bastard stole it, they found it weeks later in the woods of Charles county. Either way I'm happy for you, fine weapon made to enjoy and you will NEVER wear it out!

my man, white & blue. awesome:party29: thanks alot:thumbsup:

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    my man, white & blue. awesome:party29: thanks alot:thumbsup:

No, mine was yellow w/black vinyl top. Nice ride shame some assholes stole it for a joyride, wedged it between 2 trees and took the intake and carb. I was so pissed I told the towing company to just keep it and call it even. :sad20:

Another reason PG county could disappear for I would care. Same thing happened with my 69 Sportster, both thefts happened in Suitland.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Martin, sweet wheel gun! I just sold 2 of my blackhawks!
    once you shoot it keep the brass and I will hook you up!

and always keep in mind ABE FROMAN IS THE NEXT MEATBALL KING!!

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    And as a bonus, it's one of the earlier New Models. The earliest New Models offered the high polish finish found on your gun plus countersunk chambers which it also appears to have.

The cylinders with countersunk chambers were actually carryover parts from the Old Models that Ruger used up early in New Model production. As a cost saving measure Ruger did away with countersunk chambers in the New Models after their stock of Old model parts on hand was used up.

Countersunk chambers have good and bad points in a single action sixgun. Good--supports the loading gate from excess stress when fired with no cartridge under the gate. Some loading gates broke and gate springs dislodged when firing super heavy loads with no cartridge under the gate on the non-countersunk guns. Bad-- countersunk chambers are a PITA to keep clean and if they get dirty enough a cartridge won't fully seat in the chamber which can make cylinder rotation difficult.

Congrats on a great gift.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom