• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mj45

Feb 4, 2013
    Looking to buy a 1911 to add to my collection and would welcome some suggestions on manufacturer and caliber. Is there a 1911 manufacture that is better than the rest? Please provide reasons for your suggestions. Im not looking to spend $2k. Thanks in advance for your response.

Atec

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    Maryland
    For around 800.00 dollars the Ruger Sr1911 45 is hard to beat . For the price it is made very well and getting good reviews. I had one new in the box that I sold to a fellow member here. I never got to shoot it ,but fit and finish was pretty sweet.
    If I did not buy a Smith and Wesson 1911TA e series weeks before I would have kept it.

Last edited:

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Start with the original, buy a Colt .45. Then you can compare the rest. Try to stay away from the cheaper ones that will need work to be reliable.

I concur.

556406_10152482763670585_82185128_n.jpg

Joseph87'

Nobama
    Dec 22, 2011
    Charleston SC
    For your first, colt, mine was a officers edition. After you get colt you can buy others and you always have the original to back your collection. It's a must for 1911's IMO. Here is my 2nd colt. Basic
    301ndj7.jpg

Last edited:

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    For a good range/target gun, go for a Springfield Range Officer. It's basically a factory upgraded match 1911. Heavy barrel, adjustable rear sight, nice short trigger, beavertail safety. They can be had for $750-900

Here's mine:
    dsc_0009-1.jpg

Rangeman

Mar 1, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    I remember in the 90's, when Kimber's hit the market. All the enhancements and ready out of the box! Now days, lots of choices. One with all the enhancements can be had for under 1K. Which ever your choice, and I don't know what the trigger pull (#'s) of one vs the other, you may end up putting some comfy Hogue wrap around rubber grips on it?
    Now dare I bring up .. a 1911 in 9mm? It would be less expensive to shoot...

Walleyeco

Feb 10, 2013
    St. Mary's
    I love everything about a 1911. I purchased a TISAS (Turkish made for NATO) 1911 45 ACP from Bud's Discount Guns a few months ago. They are back in stock and are $399 which includes shipping. I am very impressed with the fit/finish and the feel/accuracy and for the price..... I would definitely check it out and give it some thought.. Also, check out the mil specs it was manufactured to.. Good luck

Walleyeco

Feb 10, 2013
    St. Mary's
    I love everything about a 1911. I purchased a TISAS (Turkish made for NATO) 1911 45 ACP from Bud's Discount Guns a few months ago. They are back in stock and are $399 which includes shipping. I am very impressed with the fit/finish and the feel/accuracy and for the price..... I would definitely check it out and give it some thought.. Also, check out the mil specs it was manufactured to.. Good luck

Meant to add that if you're active/retired military or police that Bud's Law Enforcement discount site can save you a few $$ every now and then too...

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    For around 800.00 dollars the Ruger Sr 45 is hard to beat . For the price it is made very well and getting good reviews. I had one new in the box that I sold to a fellow member here. I never got to shoot it ,but fit and finish was pretty sweet.
    If I did not buy a Smith and Wesson 1911TA e series weeks before I would have kept it.

SR1911, but I know what you meant.

Feb 28, 2013
    SR1911, but I know what you meant.

I have a Springfield Longslide and a parkerized Auto-ordnance. Both have worked well for me so far. Always went "bang!" with every squeeze.

Plus my Auto has the words US Army stamped on the side!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I like it!

Blanco98

Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Marlboro
    For around 800.00 dollars the Ruger Sr 45 is hard to beat . For the price it is made very well and getting good reviews. I had one new in the box that I sold to a fellow member here. I never got to shoot it ,but fit and finish was pretty sweet.

+1 on the Ruger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom