• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madchestermonkey

Pond straddler
    Oct 10, 2012
    Lowcountry SC
    I don't know what you've heard about the Remington but I've got the enhanced model and that thing is rock solid.

Not sure if it was the enhanced or not but a member at my range has a Remington and didn't give a good report on it. Thanks for the input!

There's a reason why Colt got the contract to build the Marine Special Ops 1911. I would spend the extra 300 bucks or so, I don't think you'll regret it.

I think that's one of the appealing factors, there is something cool about the colt being the original.

Thanks Nate, I will take that offer!

Dontpanic, nice grips! :D

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The Ruger will be my first 1911. I just wish I could afford one now.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    Personally I have the Ruger, the quality of the machining on it is better than Kimber and the tolerances were tighter than on the colt I was looking at. For the price point I think it's a lot of gun for the money.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I'm more a wheel gun man than a semi-auto man. My Ruger's are wheel guns and rifles. I have fired a Ruger 1911 and it's a decent gun. You'll never go wrong with a Ruger. That said, I have 2 Colt 1911's: a Gold Cup Trophy (purchased used and only lightly fired before prices went sky high) and a mis-matched, pieced together Colt that is made up of all National Match Parts that actually out shoots the Gold Cup Trophy (which itself shoot pretty well). I wouldn't trade 'em for anything and would take them over a Ruger any day.

Also, don't write off some of the other 1911 models. I shot one of these and it felt nice...has a nice write up as well: http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/springfield-range-officer-review/

Also heard great things about Kimber.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    I've shot Remington, Para-ord, Colt (old govt armory piece, so that doesn't really count) and the Ruger I bought. SR1911, I love it.

But any of the main manufacturers is probably good - Rem, Colt, Springfield... find the one that feels good, has the features you want, and fits your budget, and go for it!

The Rugers are great for the price, though. Really sweet guns.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nothing like a colt. Being retired military that was my issued sidearm. Nothing like the compact commander model. Go ahead...you know you want one! I retired right before they went to the Beretta 9m. Have a colt, and recently a Sig 1911 C3, both nice.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I actually find the entry level colts to be relatively rattly guns for the price point, and the GI sights suck for me. I think slide fit is better in the Ruger's and you get quite a bit of upgrades in the trigger, hammer, etc.

Psssst..Hoosier Nate,,,, John designed it to be rattly...

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Certainly no safe queen. One hell of a great gun.

Attachments

• DSCN9371.jpg
      DSCN9371.jpg
      118.9 KB · Views: 238
    • DSCN9372.jpg
      DSCN9372.jpg
      135.9 KB · Views: 275

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    My very first gun was a Colt Govt Series 70 that I bought new in 1975. Sold it to my best friend with the promise to sell it back to me if she ever wanted to get rid of it. I currently have a Ruger SR1911 CMD and love it. It is just as good, if not better than my old Colt.

On a side note, I currently have two Kimbers (Tactical Pro II and a Solo CDP) and have traded two other Kimbers (Aegis II 9mm and an Ultra CDP II in .40) for other guns. All of mine have been totally reliable and wonderful shooters. The only reason I traded off the two Kimbers is because I'm addicted to gun trading.

S&W19

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Nothing like a colt. Being retired military that was my issued sidearm. Nothing like the compact commander model. Go ahead...you know you want one! I retired right before they went to the Beretta 9m. Have a colt, and recently a Sig 1911 C3, both nice.

Yep. I'll say this. Sept 2013 I convinced my wife to pick up another pistol for herself before the new laws and she chose a Colt Commander.
    Now, she hadn't shot in about 10 years at the time and usually just 38 special, but her first time out with the Colt, she had extremely tight groups with it. Prior to that she had shot my 45 Kimber once, but that was 10 years ago.
    I'm sure her patience and skill had something to do with her results, but wow!
    I'd buy another Colt. :party29:

madchestermonkey

Pond straddler
    Oct 10, 2012
    Lowcountry SC
    I think I'm settled on getting a colt first, I admit I'm drawn to the idea of owning an original first. I still think the ruger is an awesome gun and will go back and look at the Remington's as some folks have some good things to say about them.

Once I get off this current job the hunt will be on!

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    I have a Colt Gold Cup Trophy. Most accurate gun I own. Never shot the Ruger. I have not noticed any problems in fit with gun. It is very well made and there is no looseness others mentioned. Very happy. The only thing is every time I take it to the range, I have to clean it. Can't stand putting it back in the safe with black power on the nice shinny slide.I am totally unbiased of course:rolleyes:
    How can you not want this?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421416748933.jpg
      uploadfromtaptalk1421416748933.jpg
      87 KB · Views: 178

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I have a Colt Gold Cup Trophy. Most accurate gun I own. Never shot the Ruger. I have not noticed any problems in fit with gun. It is very well made and there is no looseness others mentioned. Very happy. The only thing is every time I take it to the range, I have to clean it. Can't stand putting it back in the safe with black power on the nice shinny slide.I am totally unbiased of course:rolleyes:
    How can you not want this?

That's one of my consistent "go to the range" 1911's along with my Springfield TRP and "sorry-assed POS Sig" (the Sig has a real nice trigger BUT it's having extractor problems AGAIN:mad54:).

OP, you should check out the Springer Range Officer .45 before you make up your mind to buy as it's truly a really good 1911 at the price point.

S6T6

Dec 23, 2012
    Ruger SR1911 .45, love mine. Fit and finish is outstanding, not overdone in the bells whistle department, no rails, and easy to find under $750.

But if you can find one and swing the $ get a Colt Delta Elite Gold Cup 10mm. That is one sweet Colt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom