• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Silence&Rage

Feb 20, 2013
    MoCo
    Since the OP already has a couple of semi-autos. I'd say go for the wheel gun. Then you can open a thread on Ruger vs. S&W....

NOBE shooter

Aug 12, 2013
    North Beach, MD
    Apples and oranges. They're both very good to own. They're just very different animals.

Give some thought to just exactly what you want your next purchase to be used for. Maybe post that answer. It may spark some thoughts to help you to decide what to buy when.
    Yeah, mostly just for range use. But I'd like something that could be used for self defense as well. I'll probably get a Utah carry permit eventually for when I travel out of state, and you never know, maybe one day Maryland (or the courts) will clue into the second amendment, so I'm thinking something that could be carried. I went cheep with my S&W pistol and higher grade with the Beretta, so I've learned my lesson on not going cheep. But I probably won't go over $1k. Probably stay in around 700-900s.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    As for 1911's,

The Ruger is really nice, especially for the money.

The Springfield is even nicer.

But if you really want to just buy once and cry once, then spend the $200 - $300 extra and get yourself the Colt.

Does it function better? No.

It is made better? Probably not.
    Is it nicer looking? Not really.
    Will your fellow shooters admire it more than the others when you pull it out of your range bag? YES. Without a doubt. It is like showing up at the dance with the blonde who has blue eyes and big ****.

You won't be disappointed and everybody who has a Ruger or a Springfield really wishes that it was a Colt (even if they won't admit it).

Ummm... no. I could have a Colt if I wanted one. But I don't buy things to please other people. That's why I have 2 SR1911s, 1 RIA (MDS Version), 1 Thompson and a Ballaster Molena.

BTW... The SR1911s are Spitfire 5'2" 110 lb. blue eyed red heads with 36 DDDs. :D

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Truly did not mean to insult anyone. Even after rereading I do not see it, but I will delete the posts anyway. Sorry. I will stand by the original statement that I made to the OP. If you buy a Colt, it will, for whatever reason, hold its value better than other 1911's in the same price range. I do not think anyone can/will debate that and it should not be misconstrued as an insult.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    3 Pages & 46 Posts (just caught the deletes) and every one missed the obvious answer in the Stacked vs Wheeler eternal ad nauseum debate.

S&W 625 JM

Perfect Compromise of Wheel Gun Goodness and 45 ACP Awesomeness

Stock Comp Race or Pin Gun that you could CCW and use as a test mule for your 45 Reloads for your Slabside Autokerchucker

download (3).jpg

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Truly did not mean to insult anyone. Even after rereading I do not see it, but I will delete the posts anyway. Sorry. I will stand by the original statement that I made to the OP. If you buy a Colt, it will, for whatever reason, hold its value better than other 1911's in the same price range. I do not think anyone can/will debate that and it should not be misconstrued as an insult.

No worries ... I did not see the comment as any insult. I figured it was just harmless Colt fanboy banter. :D

FTR I do own a Colt. (Not a 1911) According to a search of the serial number, it was made in 1921. And I do see the historic significance/collector value of the older "made during/used in the WW" Colt 1911s. However, a pistol that I'm going to take to the range and shoot... Or EDC CCW... will most likely not be one of those.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I have a GP100 in stainless with a 4" barrel and a Ruger SR1911 fullsize and love them both. If you already have a couple of semi-autos I would get a revolver next but you need to have at least one of each :-) And as others have said the GP100 is built like a tank and will eat any .357 magnum load you can handle.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I totally understand what MEGARMS is saying. There's definitely validity to it, and it isn't limited to firearms at all.

Case in point, my son was at a point as a guitar player where we wanted to make an investment and put a really nice guitar in his hands. I had an opportunity to pick up a guitar from a company called "Heritage Guitars." Essentially these are guitars made at the original Gibson facility by luthiers who originally worked for Gibson. When Gibson picked up and moved to Nashville, many of the men and women working there had lives and families in Kalamazoo, MI that they didn't want to leave, so they bought the facility and continue to make guitars the way they were originally made. In a lot of ways, they are way better than what Gibson is currently putting out. With that in mind though, I knew my son really wanted a guitar that said "Gibson" on the headstock, regardless of the quality of instrument Heritage guitars makes. Fortunately, we got a great one, and it has been a wonderful instrument for him.

It's the same with the 1911 - there are a lot of guns that might actually be better than the Colt, but a Colt is a Colt. Mine is a 1941 vintage, slightly modded GI Colt, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I read the comment to mean buyers remorse for not having bought a Smith or Colt. Which in both instances there are good reasons for not buying either.
    But, I do own both...plus the Rugers and other "lesser" 1911's.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I read the many comments and the OP's original question to mean that the OP's illness has not yet progressed to the same level of affliction that many here have experienced. Resistance to progression of the disease however, is futile.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Not quite the same Bob.

You are suggesting Great-Great-Grandpappy

I'm suggesting bring the younger and better Grandson in the 625 JM

I wouldn't recommend a modern +P or +P+ ACP load in any C&R 1917 or 1911A1.

Point taken.

Howsomever, Great-great-grand did good work in the Phillipines in his day, and today's human is just as vulnerable to big lumps of lead, even at subsonic velocities.

If I may stir the "better" pot without fear of flame or friendly fire, there's a part of me that just can't get past the press-to-fit barrels you kids use these days. Those pins and threads make me feel secure.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Point taken.

Howsomever, Great-great-grand did good work in the Phillipines in his day, and today's human is just as vulnerable to big lumps of lead, even at subsonic velocities.

If I may stir the "better" pot without fear of flame or friendly fire, there's a part of me that just can't get past the press-to-fit barrels you kids use these days. Those pins and threads make me feel secure.

Us kids have been living without Pin&Recessed Smiths since the early 80s and doing just fine. And I seem to recall that Colt never P&R and they seem to hold up just fine in service and value too.

Now for the the newer shrouded barrel Smitys, I am in complete agreement. Won't buy a Smith with a Shroud or a hole in the side for a key.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Now for the the newer shrouded barrel Smitys, I am in complete agreement. Won't buy a Smith with a Shroud or a hole in the side for a key.

Glad to see the younger gen has inherited some worthy standards.
    All our preaching has not been in vain.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but this seems to be the right place to ask my question.

Tomorrow I'm picking up the Colt Combat Commander that Tyler's had on consignment last week. My condolences to the folks I beat to the punch.

This is my first 1911 and I'm open to any and all advice (except "it's no good, just give it to me"). Be gentle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom