• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    chad n kev....how are you liking the new remington 1911's? a while back when i was looking into a 1911(and ultimately decided i'd rather get an hk45 or fnp45) I figured if i got one, it'd be more traditional with less bells and whistles. the new r1's look pretty nice and overall felt pretty good when i fondled one. If i were to get a 1911 next year for the 100th anniversary as a present to myself for paying my car off, you all think the remington would be a good choice? I haven't heard much but what the gun mags wrote about them.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Even the base SA guns? Good forged frames. If you are looking at sending to a custom shop, most shops like the base SA guns.

I don't know if I would pay $1,500 for a TRP, but I do like the Professional model. Of course, that is around $3,000.

If they are forging them they are doing it wrong. My S.A. Dust cover broke off, completely off.

If someone pays wants to pay $1500-3K for a S.A., its their cash, but persoanlly I think they are no better than a RIA in terms of quality.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    chad n kev....how are you liking the new remington 1911's? a while back when i was looking into a 1911(and ultimately decided i'd rather get an hk45 or fnp45) I figured if i got one, it'd be more traditional with less bells and whistles. the new r1's look pretty nice and overall felt pretty good when i fondled one. If i were to get a 1911 next year for the 100th anniversary as a present to myself for paying my car off, you all think the remington would be a good choice? I haven't heard much but what the gun mags wrote about them.

I cant opine on the Remington. I havent handled one my friend.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    If they are forging them they are doing it wrong. My S.A. Dust cover broke off, completely off.

If someone pays wants to pay $1500-3K for a S.A., its their cash, but persoanlly I think they are no better than a RIA in terms of quality.

Forged in Brazil, by Imbel.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

I handled one over at 2A Sales and have to say that it was a well-built gun to my eyes. The finish on the one I handled was exceptional.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    A few years back a Morris gun was reviewed in a gun mag. It had issues - FTC. It was sent back with an extra force mag spring being the fix. I feel the need for fresh mag springs should have tuned out.

Gun companies experience growing pains when entering new markets. The competition shooting market is an example. I've read complaints about many high end producers, same as many of us. But that doesn't displace the whole make as deficient. Typically the percentage is low from a reputable maker.

I handled a recently produced RIA this evening. Nowhere close to even a SA Loaded.

64Post

Mar 30, 2010
    Millers Island, MD
    Let me guess? You own a Sig 1911, so you think this is true? Sig quality is in the toilet with their regular fare, and you are recommending their 1911s......right.

OP,
    Springfield TRPs have a very good reputation. They are a fine choice.

The extractor on my TRP broke @ less than 500 rounds. Sure, it can happen with any gun, but I didn't expect it on a $1500 pistol. I replaced it with an EB forged piece. My TRP doesn't like the Wilson mags. CMC + run great.

If I had the money I certainly would jump on a Volkmann, Wilson, NH, etc.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I handled a recently produced RIA this evening. Nowhere close to even a SA Loaded.

I work on them and I say thats not true. There is nothing special about S.A. guns. Im not saying they are bad but they arent worth the $800 plus for one when you can get a RIA starting @ $500

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007

Wow, I almost crapped my pants. I'm not an expert, but damn you make me feel much better about my latest purchase. :thumbsup: I've been contemplating another 1911, maybe a SA Mil Spec (Not G.I) or Loaded Lightweight Champion, but I'm giving that a second thought now.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    what are peoples thoughts and feelings on kimber 1911s?
    specifically the tle 2?

Kimber 1911 .45 Gen1's are great guns. I don't have any love at all for the gen2's as the design mods and QC went down the toilet. In recent times, approximately 1 to 2 years ago, Kimber changed some of it's gen2 design back to the similarity of the gen1 design, namely, the extractor. I don't know for certain, but it appears that Kimber realizes the mistake they made in introducing the gen2 and are now trying to improve their quality and reputation. I personally think they need to go completely back to the gen1 and the quality that was in it though it will cost $$$.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Kimber uses the Swartz (spelling?) safety in the G2 guns. This wasa large source of complaints with those guns. The problem with it is (any grip safety firing pin safety) Is in the fitting. It is spot on when using the low thumb hold, which is the way it is fitted, gs fully depressed. Using high thumb grip (strong thumb over thumb safety hold) this creates a shallow movement of the grip safety, hence weak firing pinstrikes. They would have been much better off paying Colt to use the Series 80 safety, which isn't a big problem.

Drew1340

Nov 30, 2010
    AA county
    Thanks for the info, i have an older gen one custom target, and waiting on what has to be a second generation tle... My father had one of the first run second generation custom carrys, it had problems but kimber did make it right... have to give them credit for that...
    thanks
    Andrew

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County

Chad, where was the frame of the SA in question made, US or Brazil? Did the serial# have a "NM" prefix, "LW" prefix, or "N" prefix? This is total news to me and would like to know the specifics as to how your dust cover broke and if there were any mods made to the firearm before this happened. Also, was the frame blued or stainless?

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008

I'm neither chad or kev but I do have some experience with the Remington.
    I was at a match last summer and Remington showed up with a bunch of them and a truck load of ammunition.
    I put about 3 magazines through one as did my buddy and neither of us were impressed.
    It was nothing special. It went bang. Sights were basic black blocks. Finish was mediocre. Fit was somewhere between loose and almost not loose. Nothing felt smooth but it all felt functional.
    I think if I was gonna buy a 1911 cheaply made in another country I would grab a STI Spartan for about the same price with an adjustable rear sight and a lite pipe on the front.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    specifically the tle 2?

I have a Kimber TLE/RL II. 2k rounds through it and not one problem ever. I even use the crappy Kimber mags and they work fine as well.

Put another 200 rounds through it today at On Target. No problems except I ran out of ammo!

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    specifically the tle 2?

Kimber-bashing is a very popular past-time on the internets.

That being said, I have a 2004 Gold Match Stainless II with ~18000 rounds through it, and it has been nearly flawless from day one (I've had a few issues with Wilson 10 round mags, but that's about it. From what I read, every make has issues with Wilson's 10 rounders, including my buddy's Wilson.) I could have just been lucky, but with the volume they sell and the prices they charge, I can't imagine that they'd be in business very long if they were as bad as some testify.

I've heard the newest once-great-company-now-turning-out-crap is Ed Brown. I've heard they're having QC issues, now. If you we get CCW for the masses, the stainless Kobra Carry was on my list of must-own's.

images

Of course, I'd have to add one of those very unreliable ambi safeties. :D

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Chad, where was the frame of the SA in question made, US or Brazil? Did the serial# have a "NM" prefix, "LW" prefix, or "N" prefix? This is total news to me and would like to know the specifics as to how your dust cover broke and if there were any mods made to the firearm before this happened. Also, was the frame blued or stainless?

The gun wouldn't feed out of the box. I had to do a ramp job. With less than 2 boxes of ammo the front dust cover cracked down the middle, one half broke off. The gun was a stainless loaded in .45acp. I sent it back to springfield armory and they said my ramp work voided the warranty and I had to pay $175.00, plus shipping both ways to get my frame replaced. They confirmed that my work didn't contribute to the failure,but said the warranty was voided none the less.

Ill dig out the serial# for you. I don't remember the info

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    ""Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magnumite
    I work on them and I say thats not true. There is nothing special about S.A. guns. Im not saying they are bad but they arent worth the $800 plus for one when you can get a RIA starting @ $500""

I don't recall you being with me while I handled them both. Incredible nonsense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom