• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Target

si vis pacem para bellum
    Jul 9, 2008
    OK so i went to meet my girlfriend's (of 8 happy months :) ) grandfather today. And while i was over there house her grandmother asked if i wanted to see his rifles. I said sure. What i saw was a U.S. Remington 1903 a3 serial number 3606577. I said i really liked it and she said she would sell it to me. The grandfather suffered from a stroke so he can no longer use it. I was wondering what a fair price would be i have pics on my phone but they suck so i'm gonna take a camra with me next time i go over there house. What should i look for to make sure it still fires? how much would be a fair price? Are there any copies of these gun made? Just any info you have would be helpfull.

Thanks

one-star

Mar 9, 2009
    OK so i went to meet my girlfriend's (of 8 happy months :) ) grandfather today. And while i was over there house her grandmother asked if i wanted to see his rifles. I said sure. What i saw was a U.S. Remington 1903 a3 serial number 3606577. I said i really liked it and she said she would sell it to me. The grandfather suffered from a stroke so he can no longer use it. I was wondering what a fair price would be i have pics on my phone but they suck so i'm gonna take a camra with me next time i go over there house. What should i look for to make sure it still fires? how much would be a fair price? Are there any copies of these gun made? Just any info you have would be helpfull.

Thanks

Given the SN its a mid 1943-44ish version.....these go at gun shows from 600-1k depending on stock quality, barrel wear, and seller greed. Id see if there is a backstory on it, but either way arguably the best military rifle ever made.

Target

si vis pacem para bellum
    Jul 9, 2008
    yeah i checked out the barrel when i was looking at it the rifling looks freaking amazing still

Target

si vis pacem para bellum
    Jul 9, 2008
    ok that's kinda around were i was thinking. should i have a gun smith check it out before i take it to the range?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I could have bad headspace, if so a replacement barrel and installation will set you back $400-$500, so if the gun is worth $1K offer $500, if you want a deal then $400.

If it headspaces right then you got a deal.

I would also check the bolt face. Some guys from the most amazing generation (IMHO) owned "drill rifles" and used them in places like American Legion, ect......Some had the bolts welded to be non-firing. If the bolts welded then that can cost you a good $100, and the replacement might not headspace right.

Target

si vis pacem para bellum
    Jul 9, 2008
    ok so should i have a gunsmith check it out before purchasing becasue i don't wanna screw myslef or her family

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    ok so should i have a gunsmith check it out before purchasing becasue i don't wanna screw myslef or her family

<---------Gunsmith :)

Not necessary to just buy it BUT it if you plan to fire it yes. ANy smith of friend with 06 Gauges can do this. Youll need a Go, No Go, and a Field Gauge.

We charge $35 to do a headspace check and check the safety, muzzle, stock, bore (some have dents or bends that can cause a KB)

Target

si vis pacem para bellum
    Jul 9, 2008
    so just take it to you 35 dollars later then i know if i have a shooting gun or not

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    Not what I would call rare, but it is one of the harder to find surplus rifles when CMP isn't in stock (compared to K98s, Enfields, Mosins, Garands)

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I love the 03A3, it's the best 30-06 rifle ever made in my opinion.
    I've seen them anywhere from $500 to $1,000 at gun shows depending on condition and if they were rebuilt..
    There are several ways I know of to tell if the barrel and stock are original.
    Original WWII barrels were marked on the top directly behind the front sight with "RA" for Remington Arms above what looks like a flaming bomb followed by the month and year the barrel was made.
    Many 03A3's were rebuilt by several arsenals during WWII.
    Rebuilt examples will have a barrel dated later than the reciever.
    To tell if the stock is original look on the bottom directly behind the trigger guard, there should be a "P" marking meaning the rifle passed a pressure test. Two "P" markings mean the rifle has been rebuilt at an aresenal and it passed a second pressure test. In that case the stock should also have a 2-letter arsenal marking on the left side of the stock several inches to the right of the trigger. Directly above the trigger area original stocks should be stamped with an "FJA" marking. Original stocks will probably have several other small markings from various inspectors on the bottom and possibly near the butt.
    Original bolts should be stamped with an "R". To remove the bolt place both the safety switch and the magazine on/off selector switch to the middle position and it should slide right out.
    You will not regret buying this rifle, it's extremely accurate.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Everyone's pricing is spot on; $400-500 is a vg deal on a matching Remington 03A3 in good condition. Paid $550 for my Remington at a HC gunshow a year ago. Do have the headspace checked for peace of mind but I doubt you'll find a problem. My aging eyes love the 03A3's improved receiver sight over the original model 1905 sight. Look for a mix of blued and green parkerized parts on a original example. If everything's parked then it's probably been rebuilt at some point. For example, on mine the receiver, barrel, nose cap and barrel bands are green parkerized while the balance of the gun parts are blued. Look for "R" mark on many of the parts like the bolt handle, nose cap, stacking and upper sling swivel, cutoff and safety lever. As Weapons Collector mentioned, my stock has a US ordnance cartouche (looks like a circle with crossed cannons) and RA (Remington Arms, new manuf) & FJA (Frank J. Atwood, Inspector) stamps between the cutoff lever and trigger on the left side and a P proof mark in a circle on the bottom of the stock behind the trigger guard. An original Remington 03A3 stock is usually a S type (straight stock) but are found with scant stocks which I prefer for a shooter over the straight stock (felt recoil is less in my experience).
    Good luck on the acquisition and hope to see photos posted!

ZHammer

Pythonidae Fan
    Jul 5, 2009
    Bel Air, Md.
    Take time to digest the above advise and information already given. It most probably will be just fine and will be a great rifle you will not regret.

Good luck!

:patriot:

ItsGarand

-> TEUFELSBERG <-
    May 28, 2008
    Annapolis, MD
    An example....

My 1903A3 with scant stock from the CMP. Very minor pitting in the bore due to ceremonial use. Great condition otherwise including production line and inspection cartouches. Service grade rifle. Shooting high 90 with Xs at 100 yards.

cost $500

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I was looking at one today with Pitjeep, NICE metal but repaired original stock. 500 bucks, I passed BUT wouldn't have felt terrible if I did buy and I still may, who knows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom