• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    I'm going to look at a "Low Serial Number" 1903 tomorrow. It has a WW2 barrel, so I assume it to be a non-original rebuilt rifle. It's said to be in "Nice Shape" whatever that means. The seller is somewhat motivated.

I've been on the lookout for an 03 Springfield to go along with my 03A3. Of course a later receiver would be much preferred due to the heat treating issues, but I would consider an early gun if priced really attractively.

Looking around the internet I see a huge price range. Does anyone have suggestions of the market value?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    For a low number, WWII rebuild, $350-450. It might be worth paying more if it has something notable about it, like is a USMC rebuild, has really good condition wood, or a really good condition bore.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I'm going to look at a "Low Serial Number" 1903 tomorrow. It has a WW2 barrel, so I assume it to be a non-original rebuilt rifle. It's said to be in "Nice Shape" whatever that means. The seller is somewhat motivated.

I've been on the lookout for an 03 Springfield to go along with my 03A3. Of course a later receiver would be much preferred due to the heat treating issues, but I would consider an early gun if priced really attractively.

Looking around the internet I see a huge price range. Does anyone have suggestions of the market value?

Here's the best source of advice I've found on the net:
    http://www.jouster.com/forums/archive/index.php/f-9.html

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Ken is right on. Since you said you would prefer a high number receiver, you should just save up some more for one of those. For a couple hundred more (give or take) you can find a nice ww2 rebuild shooter.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    For a low number, WWII rebuild, $350-450. It might be worth paying more if it has something notable about it, like is a USMC rebuild, has really good condition wood, or a really good condition bore.

I have one that has Han excellent bore, but is a low number. I have shot it once with a light reload and the extractor broke. I replaced it and it's a wall hanger now complete with the original cleaning kit. I think I paid $350 for it I would not go much above that. I always had the philosophy that if you can't shoot it why have it. That's why I don't have centennial models of winchesters or 45's

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013

Ditto and I'd add a Mark I to the list.

Not long ago, a friend rang me to see if he'd overpaid for a middling condition 200k-ish serial '03 he'd picked up for a couple hundred from a co-worker who was selling off his late father's belongings. Considering its generally poor condition, I (initially) told him he'd overpaid. However, once I saw the rifle and its "Mark I" designation (and accompanying (Pederson) port in the side of its receiver), I explained that he'd done very well...and told him not to shoot it.

Here's my Springfield M1903. It's in the 900,000 serial number range and has a 10/32 SA barrel. The bore is bright and beautiful and the stock is superb. The stacking swivel is missing but that should be easy to replace. I paid a pretty penny but I personally think it's worth it. It all depends on what you want to pay.

Attachments

• M1903.jpg
      M1903.jpg
      106.6 KB · Views: 148

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    Well, I looked at the rifle today. Bubba refinished the stock real nice and shiny. Covered the cross bolts with wood putty or something. Some of the metalwork looks painted black.

The bore looked like new however.

I didn't buy it. Thanks everyone for the pricing info.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Ditto and I'd add a Mark I to the list.

Not long ago, a friend rang me to see if he'd overpaid for a middling condition 200k-ish serial '03 he'd picked up for a couple hundred from a co-worker who was selling off his late father's belongings. Considering its generally poor condition, I (initially) told him he'd overpaid. However, once I saw the rifle and its "Mark I" designation (and accompanying (Pederson) port in the side of its receiver), I explained that he'd done very well...and told him not to shoot it.

Mark 1's are all high number and Springfield Armory, so the serial number should not be 200k. Mark 1 production did not begin until well after they solved the heat treat issue.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Mark 1's are all high number and Springfield Armory, so the serial number should not be 200k. Mark 1 production did not begin until well after they solved the heat treat issue.

He has two '03s, the other with a 1m-ish serial. I may've gotten the serials mixed-up. Thanks for the correction. My apologies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom