• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    The archives at College Park shut down (again); before that, I copied some much-needed paperwork before that happened. Some of which was a shipping ticket to one of my rifles.

This rifle was a National Match manufactured in 1923; at some point, it was shipped to Fort Dupont and then sent back to Springfield Armory in 1924. I'm going to assume it was shipped to one of the Engineer shooting teams because there was an Engineer shooting team based out of Dupont. So it's my best guess at this point.

The rifle must've sat in storage until 1928 because that's the year of the replacement barrel. I think the stock is a replacement. There is no evidence of a serial number stamped into the stock. The rifle retains its original bolt with a headless-cocking piece and reverse safety. The receiver rails, raceway, and follower are polished.

1928 is an important year because nomenclature changed a bit. Between 1924-1927 a "Special Target" was nothing more than a service rifle with a star gauged barrel. These rifles were not popular, so they were discontinued in 1928. Anyone who could afford a luxury rifle during the Great Depression paid an extra $5 (or whatever the difference was) to get a National Match. The term "Special Target" then became a reconditioned match rifle. Which is what this is.

The index card says it's a National Match, but that is not necessarily "accurate." However, since the terminology changed that year, it's not surprising.

The rifle was then sold to James R. Ahl that December.
    James Ahl was born in Pennsylvania, served in World War I in the US Navy. He then moved to Colorado Springs and eventually settled in New Mexico. According to census records, Ahl worked as a US Forest Officer in CO and a US border guard in NM. He died in 1974.

The index card is the same type that the Springfield Research Service provides with their letters, but this copy was acquired through a FOIA with the US Army. The Army still has records of the pre-WWII DCM sales. The problem was getting them to release a copy (unredacted). They were afraid of privacy rights violations. One of my subscribers was a FOIA officer and now is an attorney with US Army and handled all the denials (and there were several). He's also a collector, so he was a big advocate of fighting blanket denials the Army would hand out like candy.

56nIaLCl.jpg

PFyWTC0l.jpg

P00sibpl.jpg

EjPw4gkl.jpg

WWTnrCjl.jpg

PFlaUx8l.jpg

Qv3f0O2l.jpg

DQttS2Bl.jpg

F7IARTol.jpg

3cy92EJl.jpg

jQ15eEGl.jpg

390mRP0l.jpg

3G2KgR4l.png

xuDS20jl.jpg

ImRIePTl.jpg

4uVVZYml.jpg

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    SEp,
    What can you tell us about the inspectors marks on the side of the stock?
    Did someone add in some letters for personal initials to identify the rifle from others nearby (like in a rack to be able to pick it out quickly) maybe?
    Or is it something else that was just done over the ages or possibly in the armory for other special purpose?

Thanks for posting rifle/ w info.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    SEp,
    What can you tell us about the inspectors marks on the side of the stock?
    Did someone add in some letters for personal initials to identify the rifle from others nearby (like in a rack to be able to pick it out quickly) maybe?
    Or is it something else that was just done over the ages or possibly in the armory for other special purpose?

Thanks for posting rifle/ w info.

Honestly, this is the best guess I can make at this time.
    Since the rifle doesn't have a serial number matching this receiver or another 1903, I'm just assuming it was restocked in 1928 when it was cleaned and repaired.
    It looks like it has two final inspector stamps, WES over a previous JFC.
    During the 1920s and 1930s, Springfield Armory would have exchanges, low numbers for high numbers. I can only assume this stock was taken off of a low number (JFC is a WWI or earlier inspector), yet it was still in serviceable condition. Part of cleaning and repairing this rifle in 1928 may be putting a new stock on it.

A collector could've swapped it out for any one of various reasons (years ago).

That's just a guess.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Needed this on a dreary day! Appreciate the work that goes into researching individual historic firearms. Thanks for sharing!

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Thanks everyone.

I’m trying to branch away from 1903s but find myself always coming back to them. They’re inexpensive and easiest to work with. (As long as you stay away from the premium ones like mint time capsule examples).

1911s and SAA colts are ridiculously expensive.

The vast majority of 1917 revolvers are just inventories to the USPO.

Im in the hunt for a 1917 rifle with some sort of history but they’re proving elusive.

And Garands and carbines are simply nonexistent because of the record keeping methods of the time.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I’m trying to branch away from 1903s but find myself always coming back to them. They’re inexpensive and easiest to work with. (As long as you stay away from the premium ones like mint time capsule examples).

That is so true...the 1903 rifles are addictive once you get into them. There are more variations than most are aware of and a very rich history. They are super collectible as well as available though prices in some cases don't warrant it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom