• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Seriously bummed.

Miroku Winchester 1873

I think Winchester is getting a call. Ive had this rifle for a little over 2 yrs, and I've had two types of 357 magnum ammo break a shell casing in half. sellier and Bellot, shortly after I got it, and the new Sig Sauer 357 ammo just today. I got the first one out, and this one is in good.
    I'll keep working it, but I don't know might have to send it back the check the headspace and chamber?

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    hundreds of 38 and black hills 357 (lower velocity).

a few boxes of leverevolution as well with no problems

didn't post what the casings look like.

here's a pic:

Attachments

• IMG_2071.jpg
      IMG_2071.jpg
      64.6 KB · Views: 283
    Last edited:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I wonder if you've been shooting a lot of .38 out of it and left a ring of residue from the end of the case that the longer .357 got stuck on? Maybe it made some weird pressure/friction thing when fired? Has it broken any .38's?

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    I wonder if you've been shooting a lot of .38 out of it and left a ring of residue from the end of the case that the longer .357 got stuck on? Maybe it made some weird pressure/friction thing when fired? Has it broken any .38's?

Well, it gets cleaned every time out, about once a month, and I throw a light into the chamber as well. Never saw anything in there.
    No broken 38's. I shoot Remington white box, as they are the perfect length (1.500") to cycle.

I might add when the sellier & bellot 357 did it the rifle was almost new. I just haven't used much 357, except for Black Hills cowboy, until now. I shoot almost as muc Black hills 357 as I do 38.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Holy crap!!!!!!!!! finaly got to talk to "the guy". you know, the guy that actually helps. He called me back after promising to talk to QA to find out about status. He left me a voicemail with a bombshell!! Said they've had a run of 1873's coming back. Winchester is waiting on the redesign of a part, didn't say what, and that I had two options.
    Wait for the design of whatever part it is. I'll need to call them, as I'm curious.
    Or
    Provide a copy of my receipt and they will refund my money.

Bummed!!! It was a nice rifle, and loved the caliber. Oh well. I'll be getting money back and moving on..

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Good news. :thumbsup: There are probably other things that might get restricted in the future to buy instead.

I also have a Winchester/Miroku 1873 in 357. Had cycled maybe 5-6 brands of 357 and 38 Special in it previously without an issue, but will play with it more this summer to see if the issue reproduces. If they're redesigning something in the action, makes one wonder.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Sounds like you are taking the wiser option. Based on my own and a buddy's experience, I wrote off any new made "Winchester" anythings a long time ago. I'll use your story as a reminder if I ever feel tempted to give them another chance.

Some of the I-talian Winchester copies are very nice. It took me a little while to swallow my pride and accept an imported cowboy gun, but I'd put my Taylor's/Uberti '73 up against any of the imports...including "Winchester."

Isn't a little ironic that in 2016, "Winchester" has to redesign part of the Winchester 1873 action?

I hope whatever you put your refund to makes you happy.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Sounds like you are taking the wiser option. Based on my own and a buddy's experience, I wrote off any new made "Winchester" anythings a long time ago. I'll use your story as a reminder if I ever feel tempted to give them another chance.

Some of the I-talian Winchester copies are very nice. It took me a little while to swallow my pride and accept an imported cowboy gun, but I'd put my Taylor's/Uberti '73 up against any of the imports...including "Winchester."

Isn't a little ironic that in 2016, "Winchester" has to redesign part of the Winchester 1873 action?

I hope whatever you put your refund to makes you happy.

The original 73s were not designed with straight-wall cartridges in mind. I have not heard about any problems with Winchester's 44-40 version, which it was originally chambered in.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    The original 73s were not designed with straight-wall cartridges in mind. I have not heard about any problems with Winchester's 44-40 version, which it was originally chambered in.

Seems like Miroku didn't learn anything from other proven 1873 copies out there. I haven't heard issues with these rifles except rough actions, finish, etc. nothing to recall over like this.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    When the refund is in, consider going downmarket with a Puma Model 92 .357 lever action in stainless. I have one, the 16" carbine. I like it. Hideous compared to the Miroku's but reliable and goes bang every time without drama. And if you ding or scratch up the Puma, no big deal.

Parshooter

Silent Majority Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    East NC
    Hmm, this is very interesting. I purchased a Winchester 1873 in 357 about a year and a half ago. I had a Sellier & Bellot 357 round split just like that. I blamed it on ammo and got an R/A from S&B to send it back. They replaced it with Magtech. I haven't shot it much since then, so I'll make it a point to go shoot up some steel soon. If I have any more issues, I'll know what to do... Thanks OP

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    When the refund is in, consider going downmarket with a Puma Model 92 .357 lever action in stainless. I have one, the 16" carbine. I like it. Hideous compared to the Miroku's but reliable and goes bang every time without drama. And if you ding or scratch up the Puma, no big deal.

There are things you can do to a toggle-link action like the 73 that you can't do to a 92 action.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The 92 is still plenty entertaining and popular in CAS circles.

Didn't say it wasn't entertaining, just pointing out that you can do more stuff with it. And the 92 is popular with new CAS shooters as it's significantly less expensive versus the toggle-link Winchesters and Marlins. But most people gravitate to the 73 as it's lighter than the 66, doesn't have the tab the 60 does, and you can short-stroke it.

I own a real US made Winchester 92, and a couple of other rifles for CAS. The 92 needs some fixin', so it's still in the safe. Plus I don't want to lose any more 32-20 brass. They're tough to replace compared to what I paid for them.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Didn't say it wasn't entertaining, just pointing out that you can do more stuff with it. And the 92 is popular with new CAS shooters as it's significantly less expensive versus the toggle-link Winchesters and Marlins. But most people gravitate to the 73 as it's lighter than the 66, doesn't have the tab the 60 does, and you can short-stroke it.

I own a real US made Winchester 92, and a couple of other rifles for CAS. The 92 needs some fixin', so it's still in the safe. Plus I don't want to lose any more 32-20 brass. They're tough to replace compared to what I paid for them.

Eyeballing Taylors and Cimmarrons right now along with Henry for a 357. What is the difference you see between the toggle 73 and a 92? I don't know much about 92's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom