• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uppercase

Jun 11, 2011
    I'm thinking about putting a can on a savage 17 hmr, how effective would it be barring the model since there aren't any subsonic 17 hmr rounds, at least that I know of.

Last edited:

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Im actually waiting on approval for my SS 22Sparrow right now. Hopefully I'll have the stamp back in the next couple of months. If you still havent made up your mind at that point let me know and I'll let you test it out.

Revvin' Evan

Oct 17, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I'm thinking about putting a can on a savage 17 hmr, how effective would it be barring the model since there aren't any subsonic 17 hmr rounds, at least that I know of.

In my opinion it probably won't be worth it. I have an SWR Spectre for my Savage .22 and without subsonic ammo it's still pretty noisy. Now, with subsonic ammo it's stupid quiet, think pellet gun.

Ditto on what Flipz said. If you have a threaded .17 you can try mine out and decide for yourself.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I'd go for it. I was experimenting around a couple years back (my boss is an 07 and all components were at the shop until the proper forms were filed) and the end result was pretty good. easily ear safe. sounds like supersonic 22 with a can. Get a can that works on .17, .22mag, and .22lr

hunting varmint without hearing protection is nice. .17 is cheaper than .223 or .22-250 for plinking too.

Uppercase

Jun 11, 2011
    I'm getting my .17 on monday and its a un-threaded but i'll probably end up cutting and threading it eventually, i'll take one of you up on the offer after I get to that :D

I figure i'll probably get one either way since I already have a threaded 22lr or two

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    What's worth looking at, as far as rimfire suppressors go, is the Thompson Machine CHD. I've heard a sound comparison between the Sparrow and the CHD with high velocity .22LR on a rifle, and the CHD is remarkably quiet in comparison. If your sights can clear the size of the CHD, it's definitely worth looking into. Very quiet suppressor, very easy to take down, and the price is right.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    What's worth looking at, as far as rimfire suppressors go, is the Thompson Machine CHD. I've heard a sound comparison between the Sparrow and the CHD with high velocity .22LR on a rifle, and the CHD is remarkably quiet in comparison. If your sights can clear the size of the CHD, it's definitely worth looking into. Very quiet suppressor, very easy to take down, and the price is right.

Unless you have very tall iron sights, they will not see over the CHD can. It's 1.5" in diameter, where most .22 cans are 1" diameter. If you are using a scope, it should work just fine. The CHD is a good can and certainly priced right (under $300). I mainly bought the CHD for use on a full auto MAC when shooting .22LR. It has a larger volume than most other .22 cans and can easily be cleaned. It also looks better, in my application, with the larger diameter than the typical pencil thin .22 cans.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    yes i have a suppressed .17 and .22 for tree rats a supressed .22 with subsonics is what i would use.

Of course, when you stop and think about it, a truly effective (i.e. subsonic) suppressed .17HMR would pack about the same punch as a .177 PCP airgun. It'd still quietly kill tree rats, but at far greater expense than either .22 CBs or the aforementioned airgun.

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    While this is old, I'll add that I have a Spectre can that I move between a number of hosts. On .22, subsonic ammo, pistols and rifles, its like hear the hammer fall, hear the impact. On the .17hmr, its NO muzzle blast, supersonic crack, but you can hear the bullet hit. I like it alot. :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom