• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KingGeorge

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 30, 2013
    Split them difference, get an 18 with mid-length gas system.

I think this is probably the safest option. Got me thinking about manuevering around corners of my house with the 20 inch setup. Might bump into the wall with the tip of the barrel if there really as long as they look in the videos. I wish I had 2 to try out and hold before deciding.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    well unless your house is epically massive, even a 10.5" barrel would work fine. youre not going to notice any velocity loss till 300+ yards with a 16 vs a 20...the reality is that shorter barrels have taken over, and ammo has changed to faster burning powders to work with this...this is why you dont see a big loss with shorter barrels (well one of the reasons at least)

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I don't know much about why the military uses short barrels. So you got me there.

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=/#/watch?v=Xsdv1TiQvYg

There's the video though. Kind of seemed obvious in that example which one hit harder. But the majority here says otherwise :). I'm just soaking it all up. Going back and forth from 16 to 20 in my mind. I don't know what I'll choose untill I see the order confirmation on my CPU screen.

Its obvious that guy didn't get properly trained. He shot low and barely nicked the melon with the 16" and eotech because he didn't account for the height over bore of the sight when shooting at close ranges. If he shot in the same place for both tests, he'd have similar results.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    that you would need clarification after i endorse one of them speaks volumes.

do whatever you want to do, thief.

I don't know who you are and I don't know what you endorse. Simply asking you for an opinion.

If I like them and I think I can learn from them, I'll have no problem purchasing them. I would like to play them on the big screen in my basement and actually mimic some of the drills.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    I don't know who you are and I don't know what you endorse.

Telling a guy to buy the Art of the Precision Rifle set is in fact an endorsement....which is exactly what I did earlier in the thread. So actually you do know what I endorse. ;)

That said, NOTHING beats hands-on training from quality instructors. But if you're not sure if precision rifle stuff is for you, the Magpul series is much *MUCH* less of a financial investment than a class, you can watch it at night or when the weather is shitty, and then after applying the techniques taught, either start getting in more practice or invest in more advanced classes.

It's a great springboard/waters-testing platform. While very comprehensive, and probably plenty for the "average hobbyist", further personal instruction is always a better option.

KingGeorge

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 30, 2013
    Its obvious that guy didn't get properly trained. He shot low and barely nicked the melon with the 16" and eotech because he didn't account for the height over bore of the sight when shooting at close ranges. If he shot in the same place for both tests, he'd have similar results.

You might be right.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011

Yup, you can see that his shot with the 16" barrel hit low while the shot with the 20' hit smack dab in the middle.

The guy making the video is a complete moron for even coming to the conclusion that his test was a scientific sure proof way in determining a 20" barrel on an AR15 makes it more powerful. :lol2:

KingGeorge

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 30, 2013
    I've decided to go with the 16 inch barrel. Really wanted to go with the 14.5 but didn't have the cash to dish out for the 200 dollar tax and waiting.

So 16 it is. Had to factor in moving around through my house. Wouldn't want a longer barrel peaking around the corner bEfore I can get around it lol. Damn that 14.5 would have been sweet though.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    that you would need clarification after i endorse one of them speaks volumes.

do whatever you want to do, thief.

No need for unsupported name calling. One of the tactical websites offers a subscription service to watch training videos online. THEY give you the option to download the products/services you PAID for.

Now I don't know if ObsceneJesster chose this route or illegally downloaded his copies.

I doubt you do either.

So until further proof is acquired, then can we lay off the ad hominem attacks?

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    I've decided to go with the 16 inch barrel. Really wanted to go with the 14.5 but didn't have the cash to dish out for the 200 dollar tax and waiting.

So 16 it is. Had to factor in moving around through my house. Wouldn't want a longer barrel peaking around the corner bEfore I can get around it lol. Damn that 14.5 would have been sweet though.

you can still do a 14.5...just have to use a muzzle brake thats pinned and welded to make the total length 16+.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      117.6 KB · Views: 209

KingGeorge

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 30, 2013
    Your link didn't take me anywhere. Just took ms to there website and not a particular upper.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Your link didn't take me anywhere. Just took ms to there website and not a particular upper.

sorry, probably did that because its a mobile link, didnt think about that lol.

Good looking rifle though. Ima fan of the normal hand guards though the fat round ones.

thanks. i went to a free float rail system (centurian c4) because of the lightweight profile barrel...if one day i do fire enough to get the barrel really hot, its nice knowing that me pulling on the vert grip or being supported by a bipod wont cause the point of impact to shift.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    For SHTF, get a 16" pencil barrel with a mid-length gas system and be done with it.

If you want long range power, get a separate cash and carry HBAR rifle in 20".

I will say that for range time, a barrel that is beefier rearward of the gas block and a consistent diameter forward of it(no 203 cut) is desireable. The heavier barrel will not detract much from handling, but will aid with group consistency...especially with a non-floating handguard like the OP thinks he wants. The heavier barrel will also take longer to heat up. As barrels heat up, they often start wandering around on the target. My personal gun has a heavy 16" barrel rear of the gas block and no 203 cut forward and it can be shot a LOT before the barrel heats up to the point of effecting accuracy or causing other issues with handling. It's also got a YHM diamond floating tube on it, which had a BIG impact on group consistency.

I'd say the OP is 99.999% likely to be using the gun for range time, where the heavier barrel has advantages over a lightweight barrel. The lightweight barrels are nice if you're carrying it a lot though. They can even be very accurate...but typically not for many shots in a row. As the barrel heats, it will likely wander around or group size will increase. With handguards that aren't floated, your POI will shift as pressure up front changes from different shooting positions. You can warp your groups, especially if using a 2-point sling or bipod.

You'll also need to think about what chamber to get. Some hybrid chambers like a wylde, where the lead is shorter may be desireable to you. They generally get some better accuracy from .223 loads while retaining the ability to shoot 5.56. Different manufacturers have different names for these types of chambers, so depending on noveske, bcm....they'll be called something different, but are nice to have for accuracy's sake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom