• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Southern Cross

Oct 2, 2007
    Chase, MD
    I'm looking to get a SCAR from one of our wonderful Industry Partners. Haven't decided on 16S or 17S yet I do know I want a non-NFA 14.5 barrel on my SCAR. From what I can tell I can either transfer one in good to go from a place like Knesek or Hi-Desertdog or buy locally and have the barrel chopped and pinned with an ACC Blackout. It looks like I'd pay a premium buying one already pinned...and I can't really find any feedback on those bought from the internet retailers like those I mentioned above.

I don't know much about smithing but I know its tricky to chop and recrown a chrome-lined barrel. I was hoping you guys may have some references or know of a capable smith who has done such work before...preferably MD local...support the home team and all. I'm betting there is more than one owner of a pinned LE6921 out there who may be able to point me in the right direction. Any help would be appreciated.

Leroi

Feb 16, 2011
    Does tornado tech chop and thread SCARs? I would bet they do. I would not use Hi-Desert, way too many horror stories on the Web about that guy.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    What makes you want a 14.5 over a 16" barrel if the overall length is the same?

Ruzo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2011
    Phoenix, MD.
    *Pushed* Chad Button...
    Your Best Bet is to pm Clandestine, from what I hear and have seen on here, he's a Top Notch Gunsmith. Works out of Scott's in GB.

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    Not many places to buy from but Hi-Desert Dog is a reputable vendor. FN is supposed to be releasing barrels for us soon.

I'll check FN Forums and get you a list of vendors if you can't find one locally.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    *Pushed* Chad Button...
    Your Best Bet is to pm Clandestine, from what I hear and have seen on here, he's a Top Notch Gunsmith. Works out of Scott's in GB.

+1 just got my chopped and pinned AR back. He does fantastic work. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328455331.165578.jpg
    ad432c6d-9f3a-52ab.jpg

ad432c6d-9f51-faac.jpg

ad432c6d-9f5f-aafd.jpg

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    What makes you want a 14.5 over a 16" barrel if the overall length is the same?

You are just being being obnoxious.:sad20:

Add a Sound Suppressor Mount, Flash Hider, or Brake (Depending on they type) can make a 16" barrel 20" in some applications. Chop them them and make the OAL 16.1 with a pinned device and you lose 2-4" in every instance.

Shorter barrels handle much better when a Sound Suppressor is mounted.

Southern Cross

Oct 2, 2007
    Chase, MD
    Thanks for the assist guys. I want to make sure the person that does my SCAR dos quality work. I had an SR-15 barrel ruined by someone who "does excellent work". I don't even pretend to know anything about smithing...wish I did...but apparently if that crown isn't perfect...well let's just say my uber tach driver became a single shot shotgun...all because of the allure of the can.

I thought about going 11.5 and adding a can but I just didn't feel like waiting around on the paperwork. I have a trust for my NFA items so its a little better...but I want to shoot my SCAR soon.

And I'm shooting for an OAL of ~16. I believe the Blackouts a little longer than your average birdcage. So I get the standard operator's length without the paperwork...that's the plan anyway. I understand the standard flash hiders on the SCAR work wonders...but I just think the SCAR at 14.5 with the Blackout is dead sexy baby. And while I'm a gun nut...I'm not afraid to admit I often choose fashion over function. I have plenty of shooters too...but there are more than a few guns in the safe that made it there because they were tacticool or I just used them in Call of Duty! Hell I waited a long time trying to find an M9 that was marked M9. I know the 92FS is nearly identical...I just had to have that badging...weird I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom