• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theBIGone2087

Point-of-Aim Productions
    Aug 15, 2010
    Laurel, MD
    So I have myself a Colt Delta Elite circa 2011. I have been loading 10mm for a few years in a Glock 20 with no issues. Lately with the Delta, if I make 100 rounds, 50 or more wont chamber in the delta, they get suck but if I put the SAME exact round in my Glock... no problem at all. Any one experienced this before?

Starline Brass, Hornady 200gr bullet.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I'm not a 10mm or a glock expert, but don't glocks have the famous "unsupported chamber" that can cause the "glock bulge" in fired brass?

The glock may have a more generous chamber than the colt that is causing what you are seeing. A discussion of this topic can be read here http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/glock-20-reloading-t48183.html

My first go to in this situation might be a Lee Factory Crimp Die, http://www.midwayusa.com/product/289675/lee-carbide-factory-crimp-die-40-s-and-w-10mm-auto which crimps the bullet in place and also sized the cartridge to factory dimensions using a carbide sizing ring as you crimp the bullet. Also make sure you are full length sizing all brass every time you reload, as the brass will "fire-form" to fit the large glock chambers and be too big for a standard barrel.

It may ensure that your reloads fit into the Colt reliably.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    I'm not a 10mm or a glock expert, but don't glocks have the famous "unsupported chamber" that can cause the "glock bulge" in fired brass?

The glock may have a more generous chamber than the colt that is causing what you are seeing. A discussion of this topic can be read here http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/glock-20-reloading-t48183.html

My first go to in this situation might be a Lee Factory Crimp Die, http://www.midwayusa.com/product/289675/lee-carbide-factory-crimp-die-40-s-and-w-10mm-auto which crimps the bullet in place and also sized the cartridge to factory dimensions using a carbide sizing ring as you crimp the bullet. Also make sure you are full length sizing all brass every time you reload, as the brass will "fire-form" to fit the large glock chambers and be too big for a standard barrel.

It may ensure that your reloads fit into the Colt reliably.

100% spot on!!!!

when I reload brass from my 10mm smith and wesson 610 I have to fl size it or the delta will not feed it its a weeeee bit to big. Also range 10mm brass always has to be resized, I figure most of it is feed to glocks.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    100% spot on!!!!

when I reload brass from my 10mm smith and wesson 610 I have to fl size it or the delta will not feed it its a weeeee bit to big. Also range 10mm brass always has to be resized, I figure most of it is feed to glocks.

Where are you finding range 10mm brass? :D Use the push through die for the .40 S&W to get rid of the Glock bulge. Cheap German crap <mumble mumble>

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Where are you finding range 10mm brass? :D Use the push through die for the .40 S&W to get rid of the Glock bulge. Cheap German crap <mumble mumble>

I must have a horse shoe up my but my last three trips to Seitzland I have found 10 brass all over the place in front of the pistol bench!!!

also I have a secret operative working a few ranges for me:cool:

theBIGone2087

Point-of-Aim Productions
    Aug 15, 2010
    Laurel, MD
    OP, I dont load 10mm - but what happens when you plunk test your 10mm rounds in the colt barrel? Does it pass the test then?

Never passes. The rim will stick out about 3-4mm out if the top of the chamber. I always FL resize but I don't use a factory crimp die, just standard RCBS carbide dies. I usually don't trim either.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Never passes. The rim will stick out about 3-4mm out if the top of the chamber. I always FL resize but I don't use a factory crimp die, just standard RCBS carbide dies. I usually don't trim either.

If the round is sticking out of the back, the bullet may not be seated enough, or you are not taking enough flare out of the case, when you are taper crimping.

If you look at a SAAMI diagram for 10MM auto, there should be an outside diameter at the case mouth. The reading should be the same (or within specs) once you crimp the round.

Ill have to dig in my SAAMI handbook/PDF, and see if I can find a diagram for 10mm Auto.

You really dont HAVE to trim a straightwall case semi auto pistol round, but to err on the safe side, maybe measure a few of your cases, and see how they compair to specs. Measure it after you full length size it.

Last edited:

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX

Hmm, weird that full length sizing doesn't get rid of it.

A FCD will size the case after the bullet is seated, I would still try it.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Ok .. I found a SAAMI drawing for 10mm Auto. In the pic below, I circled what the outside mouth diameter should be. This is the dimension, after you taper crimp (actual chambering dimension). The reading should be .423". Usally you can be a thousands or two under that reading, and be fine. Take your calipers, on the rounds giving you issues, and see if its in specs. Measure it on the outside of the case at the case mouth. If it is too large, then you are not putting enough crimp/not enough case flare removal. You may also be putting to much case flare to begin with.

The Lee Factory crimp dies, do a fine job of crimping, and sizing! I prefer to bullet seat, and crimp in a seperate operation - especially for a cast bullet.

Attachments

• 10mmSAAMI.jpg
      10mmSAAMI.jpg
      72 KB · Views: 61

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads