• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    A buddy of mine has property out in VA about 30 minutes past the NRA indoor range that we can easily get out to 1K and beyond. He is trying to get some things set up for a long range precision rifle outing a weekend in June or July I think. I'll keep you all posted.

mdjamesd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Towson
    A buddy of mine has property out in VA about 30 minutes past the NRA indoor range that we can easily get out to 1K and beyond. He is trying to get some things set up for a long range precision rifle outing a weekend in June or July I think. I'll keep you all posted.

I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!:party29::party29:

pigfrmr

Known Associate
    Invest in some FGMM .308/175s and you'll be ready to shoot almost anyone's precision .308 to 1k or a little past.

+1
    I really can't afford to get into reloading just now....I went with .308 due to the multitude of "over the counter" loads readily available
    I've been holding 5-6" groups @ 650yds w/a Savage 12 (Leupold markII 3-10x40) right out of the box, planning on have it tweaked this winter to better that @1000

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    If you have room, I'd love to join you guys. We're scheduled to shoot Seneca Rocks on the weekend of June 21, and am awaiting Vern from Central Virginia Tactical to give the kids a class date, but are otherwise flexible. I have various steel plates we can set up at misc distances and bang if it's safe to do that at his place.:)

+1
    I really can't afford to get into reloading just now....I went with .308 due to the multitude of "over the counter" loads readily available
    I've been holding 5-6" groups @ 650yds w/a Savage 12 (Leupold markII 3-10x40) right out of the box, planning on have it tweaked this winter to better that @1000
    That's less than 1 moa and pretty respectable shooting with almost any rifle, let alone a factory rifle and factory loads. :party29:

I have found that some rifles prefer Black Hills 175s, which are also loaded with the 175 SMK, but with a different recipe and different brass (WW). If you wanted to try those, it may show more improvement yet. Also,if your shooting is all at 650 and less, the 168 FGMM tends to group a little better (3/8 moa vs 3/4) but goes trans-sonic and often destabilizes at ranges much past that.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Had a nice day at Quantico this morning, nice and breezy!! We did very well back to 600, but when we got back to 1k, we had a fishtailing headwind ran between 10 and 2, and from 5 to 15 mph . . . . very tough to dope and my .308 bullets blew about 4 feet right, until it switched and they went 4 feet left, LOL. The 6.5-284 was better, and it wasn't too bad to hit my 16" x 24" plate, but no way to keep them all on it.

FYI, we're having a "modified F-Class" match weekend after next. Very informal, and a great way to get your feet wet. Here are some details:

OK guys and gals,

Results are in the may dates are to be
    May 18th & May 25th.0830 start time.

We have R4 for Sat the 17th also BUT if I can't talk QSC into letting us take the range out under them we'll have to take it out under VA 1000's MOA.If we do that EVERYONE that shoots Sat will have to pay there $10 whether your a QSC member or not as VA 1000 is NOT affilated with QSC.Va 1000 has to pay the Marine Corps for everyone that shoots that day and also has to carry there own insurance.I received a letter last week from QSC stating I couldn't check out a range that had been requested by any other association.Wrote them a letter back but can't get any answer yet.Will keep working on it though.

There will also be a VA 1000 hosted benchrest match the 24th of May.Some of you might like to come participate in that as well.I'll be there as well as Willie and about 35 other shooters.

Steve

Here are the "rules" we're using that makes it "modified" F-Class:

NO caliber restrictions up to 50 BMG.

NO brake restrictions

Legal can's (federal paperwork will be checked) OK

Bi-pods,bags,or packs for front rest,no tri-pods or any kind of mechanical rests
    Bags only for rear rest
    Shooters will carry all their own equipment,1 trip,no carts.Special exceptions WILL be made for handicapped or injured shooters.
    800,900,1000 yd.shoot-50 rds total for score
    All yd lines-When your relay is called you will have 5 minutes to set up
    800 yd line-unlimited sighters 15 rds for score 30 min.time limit(sighters and record)
    900 yd line-2 sighters 15 rds for score 20 min.time limit(sighters and record)
    1000 yd line-2 sighters 20 rounds for score 20 min. time limit(sighters and record)
    Offical F-Class targets will be used.
    What I'm going to try to do is let each participant have his target after the record rounds are shot(you will have 3 targets with your shots on them)
    Match fees are $30.00
    This is a work in progress so any feedback is welcome.If we get a good turnout for the first matches more WILL follow.We'll put up a suggestion box to make the matches even better.(something like you suck will be frowned upon!!!!)
    We're trying to make this as much fun and even the playing field as much as possible and get back to the spirit of good clean competition shooting.

baddevildog82

May 2, 2008
    Arbutus
    Guys,

I am looking to get into some of the long range shooting and I think that I have decided on the .308 to start with. It seems like their are some good ammo options in that caliber that won't break the bank. I read the article on optics that listed some of the "best buys" and I think I will go with either the Bushnell 3200 elite, or the "Super Sniper." Has anyone used either of these? If so. what are your opinions? I will be using this setup for long ranges, shooting some game and varmint, and hopefully getting into some tactical matches. The rifles that I have been looking at are the Remington R5, Remington PSS, and the Savage 12f. Anyone have opinions on these rifles? Any others that I am overlooking in the same price range? I noticed that some of the listings for the remington PSS and R5 say that they have the HS Precision stock. Is this on all of the stock PSS's and R5's or just on some? Is it a good stock?

I think that is it for now! LOL!

Thanks for your help guys, I am enjoying all of the link and info into this sport.

Bobby
    PS- Let me know if you think I should start my own thread so Idon't thread jack this one to much!

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    i have an opportunity to get me a free .300 win mag if i can handle the recoil...

anyone ever shoot a .300 win mag with out a pad and plain walnut stock with steel butt plate?

if so how'd it feel?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Guys,

I am looking to get into some of the long range shooting and I think that I have decided on the .308 to start with. It seems like their are some good ammo options in that caliber that won't break the bank.
    The .308 is a very good place to start for exactly the reason you cite. It is also good to begin on because it's maintenance needs are modest, and barrel life is good. By the time you erode the barrel enough to tell a performance difference, you'll have enough experience behind you to make an educated decision about your next one.
    I read the article on optics that listed some of the "best buys" and I think I will go with either the Bushnell 3200 elite, or the "Super Sniper." Has anyone used either of these? If so. what are your opinions?
    Considering the costs, these scopes are also a very good place to start. Like anything else, more dollars typically buys more performance. You'll see better optics in the more expensive glass, and more precise and repeatable click values, but there is a certain level of performance that is adequate for most shooting. The SuperSniper is very popular as an entry level scope, and a lot of the guys I shoot with at Quantico use them with good results. I don't hear anything bad about the 3200, but can't think of anyone running one that I know.
    I will be using this setup for long ranges, shooting some game and varmint, and hopefully getting into some tactical matches. The rifles that I have been looking at are the Remington R5, Remington PSS, and the Savage 12f. Anyone have opinions on these rifles? Any others that I am overlooking in the same price range?
    I don't think you're overlooking any really viable alternates. The VS from Remington has many of the features you'd want for long range precision, as does the Sendero, but, accuracy can be all over the board with Remington's sporting models. Remington's LTR is a great little rifle and typically quite accurate, but, the 20" barrel renders it ballistically challenged for the longest shots, and while it WILL make it to and beyond 1k, it places extra demands on the shooter, especially with regard to doping the wind. A 26" barrel is really the right tool for the job here. With the three you mention, any one of them is very likely to deliver sub-minute accuracy with good ammo. They all stand a very good chance of putting FGMM 168s into 1/2" or so at 100 yards, and the more ballistically efficient 175s into less than 3/4. For which oen is "best", it will come down to feel, fit and styling. Some like the PSS, others don't care for the palm swell and broad, round cross-section of the forend. The 5R will feel most like a hunting rifle.

The Savages are usually extremely accurate, but one has to like the feel and look of the Savage, which some do not. The Savage does offer great flexibility to the home gunsmith, with many pre-threaded barrel on the market and the ease at which the barrel nut is loosened and barrel removed to facilitate barrel changes. A wrench and headspace gauge is about all that's needed to swap them out and there is no machining required as there is with the Remington.
    I noticed that some of the listings for the remington PSS and R5 say that they have the HS Precision stock. Is this on all of the stock PSS's and R5's or just on some? Is it a good stock?
    The PSS and 5R (and LTR) all use an HS Precision stock. Not sure about the Savages. The HS is decent stock; quite rigid, independent of bedding problems and much more stable than wood or laminate, but is not as rigid as some custom stocks. The HS stocks are relatively light. This is good news in some ways, but they do not absorb recoil as efficiently as a laminate or a custom like McMillan or Manners, but these custom stocks are very heavy and *very* expensive.

If you get yourself started and begin shooting with the long range crowd, you'll have the chance to see and try some of the other gear out there, and it will not be long before you begin to know what you like. There is a lot of room to grow in this sport, and there are many entry level shooters interested in saving a few bucks on decent used equipment, so resale is usually good with anything in this market niche. Many people trade themselves up over the years and don't really lose anything when they buy & sell.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    i have an opportunity to get me a free .300 win mag if i can handle the recoil...
    Hard to beat free. . . .

Otherwise, not really the best entry level rifle, ammo of any type is costly and match grade stuff is outta sight. Recoil is cumulative, tending to take the fun out of a long day on your belly and slowing marksmanship advancement by encouraging bad habits. Can you find a .308 someplace, or trade up for one?
    anyone ever shoot a .300 win mag with out a pad and plain walnut stock with steel butt plate?
    Not a .300 WinMag, but I did have a Mauser converted to a .35 Whelen with a steel plate that I blasted for years, and my 6.5-300 Weatherby had a diamond plate aluminum buttplate for a year or so that left treadmarks.

Recoil is going to depend a lot of weight and stock design and fit and is quite subjective. A lighter shooter can often roll with the punch and not feel as much recoil as a big guy, especially if he knows how to shoot and relax behind the gun. If you're at liberty to modify the rifle, a recoil pad can be fitted. How about a slip-on pad?

If it's a popular model rifle, you can always find a replacement stock for it, like the HS M-700 stocks that sell used for $175 to $200 every day.
    if so how'd it feel?
    Feels !GOOD!, like napalm in the morning . . . :party29: :D

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    Hard to beat free. . . .

Otherwise, not really the best entry level rifle, ammo of any type is costly and match grade stuff is outta sight. Recoil is cumulative, tending to take the fun out of a long day on your belly and slowing marksmanship advancement by encouraging bad habits. Can you find a .308 someplace, or trade up for one?
    Not a .300 WinMag, but I did have a Mauser converted to a .35 Whelen with a steel plate that I blasted for years, and my 6.5-300 Weatherby had a diamond plate aluminum buttplate for a year or so that left treadmarks.

Recoil is going to depend a lot of weight and stock design and fit and is quite subjective. A lighter shooter can often roll with the punch and not feel as much recoil as a big guy, especially if he knows how to shoot and relax behind the gun. If you're at liberty to modify the rifle, a recoil pad can be fitted. How about a slip-on pad?

If it's a popular model rifle, you can always find a replacement stock for it, like the HS M-700 stocks that sell used for $175 to $200 every day.

Feels !GOOD!, like napalm in the morning . . . :party29: :D

i just may shoot it once and play it off like its no big then trade it for somthing else and better... or keep it as a safari gun?

baddevildog82

May 2, 2008
    Arbutus
    E.Shell,

Thank you for the great info and for answering all of my questions as best you can. I have only been on this site for about a week, but I already have learned a lot. I guess the next step for me will be to get with a couple of the vendors in the area to see if any of them have the rifle's I am looking at so I can see how they feel.

Thank you!

Bobby Norris

mdjamesd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Towson

if so how'd it feel?

I'll take the free 300 win mag..... where do I sign up?????

mdjamesd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Towson
    When I was looking at buying a scope, I looked at the Super Snipers, Bushnell 3200's, etc. I eventually decided on a Falcon Optics. It's built like a tank, and is very clear for the price I paid. I also decided that I wanted a variable power scope instead of a fixed power.

They make a fixed 10 power.... http://www.falconoptics.com/menace10x42.php

And for right around $300 you get you choice of 3 reticles, and side focus paralax adjustment.

learjet

MDS Supporter
    Jul 4, 2007
    mifflinreduced71307.jpg

headed up to mifflin today to work on our steel targets. if all goes well we will have 16x18" stell from 500-1k. this range is awsome guys. bout $35 a year, rifle pistol, shotgun archery etc etc etc, but its 3 hrs north of frederick.

308/3006 is fine for 1k shootin, not the latest and greatest best performing LR calibers, but plenty sufficient.

no expert by any means, but i am learning....and gettin better

only thing im takin is ole rattletrap

m1a001_reduced.jpg

:lol:

hey, she'll do it...

btw the fixed 10 super sniper is hard to beat. ive got a falcon coming, and some day might splurge for a US optics or other top notch scope.

Question...anyone shootin a 338/300 RUM? stumbeled onto a cheap, savage in 300 RUM and considering rebarreling, for a 338 cal rifle

lear

Mountaineer

Aug 5, 2010
    Anyone here into that. If so what do you use for caliber and scope? I would like to get into this so any info would be great. :party29:

I use a DPMS Panther .308 and a Cobb bolt action .50 at 1000 yds. My targets are those tall propane bottles that hold 100 lbs of propane, (empty of course). Great targets because they sound like a churchbell when you get a hit on them.

On the .50 I will use either a Leatherwood 1200 or a Trijicon ACOG calibrated for bullet drop for .50 BMG. I tend to get more hits with the Leatherwood, but the ACOG is fast and fun, a bit more challenging specially trying to correct for windage.

Sort of ditto on the .308.... I have a bit smaller Leatherwood and an ACOG calibrated for .308. Same result, more hits with the Leatherwood but the ACOG is just plain lots and lots of fun.

I have a spot where I set up the propane bottles that is in front of a big outcropping of rock so when I miss the gas bottle I can see the splash on the rock and make corrections.

good luck with it.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    LOL I almost finished the second page before I saw a banned user and looked at the date and realized how old this thread is.

Rugbier

Jul 19, 2010
    MD
    I own a Armalite AR-30 26" in 308 with a Trijicon Accupoint and my wife's uncle own the RRA AR SR with 26" or 24" not sure with the same optic.

We shoot in OH on his fields and 600 is kind of no too bad.... at 1,000 he does 3" to 5" and I with all the luck in the world do 8" plus, but just to hit the paper at that distance is good for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom