• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old Gaffer

Jun 26, 2006
    OK, so I'm doing the Appleseed shoot at AAF&G this weekend (1/19-20) and I started thinking about muzzle breaks for the two 10/22 I'm taking with me. Both have stock barrels, one is the SS Wally World @ 22", the other is a stock blued with barrel band 19"(?). I've never found the muzzle blast on a 10/22 particularly egregious - I mean, it's not like my Mosin Magant M44 or anything, so really, how much am I giving up by NOT having muzzle brakes on them?

And should I get the wild hair up and HAVE to have two, do any stores in the greater DC area actually sell them?

Short of long?

Anyone have one or two to sell?

Standing by to receive input... :innocent0

boomer1821

Oct 21, 2012
    I'm going the AS shoot at AAFG this weekend too, I hope it's a good group. I know it sold out REALLY FAST.

Anyway, I shoot the 10/22 a lot and don't use a muzzle brake. I shoot irons and haven't had any problem with the sight picture being obscured by the muzzle blast or anything like that. I feel like for 22LR, such things are mostly cosmetic.

Anyway, I can't answer your question about local sources for a 10/22 muzzle brake, sorry. I hope you have a good shoot!

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Family threads here discuss little girls shooting tiny 10/22 carbines for hours. They don't need muzzle brakes. That's a hint. :) What you will accomplish with a muzzle brake is making the noise level WAY louder for you, the shooter. You're much better off upgrading to a heavy barrel if/when time and budget allows.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I agree. The only reason all of my .22 rifles have them is for action and speed shooting. Not because of any recoil or muzzle flip reduction but because the audio timers used sometimes have a hard time picking up the shots, so I want them as loud as possible to the side.

Old Gaffer

Jun 26, 2006
    Thanks for all your comments. As it turned out, I didn't get a brake, and still managed to squeak out a 211 on my first qualifying target, thus earning my Rifleman Patch on the first try.

The next day I cleaned my "Red Coat Target" and earned the MD-only "Appleseed Maryland" patch :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom