• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nosbocaj

Oct 11, 2021
    Does anybody on here have a 10/22 with an integral suppressor? I'm looking at building one and am researching the available options. I'm a big fan of integrally suppressed firearms (I have a B&T GHMSD and KH9SD) and this seems like a fun platform to run a dedicated suppressor.

Currently, I'm looking heavily at the AB Suppressor MELB, Gemtech Mist, and the TacSol X-Ring TSS. The barrel will be going on a non-takedown model. Any feedback on these systems or others I haven't listed are welcome!

Thanks!

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I have a mist on a T/D and love it. Although it is mono core, I performs extremely well. Very quiet. Make sure you check the stock has clearance for the OD of the suppressor/barrel.
    A buddy has a mist on a TD with a norell pack installed. Just plain awesome.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I have a Frederick Arsenal Horsefly integrally suppressed 10/22. It has and aluminum monocore. It looks just like a 10/22 with a bull barrel, which is in reality a steel tube welded to the receiver. The actual barrel inside is of a very small outside diameter and only about 8 inches long with the monocore stacked on top of that, and a threaded plug with a hex opening holding everything together. It's a great rifle. I have no opinion on the rifles mentioned in the OP.

One lesson I learned darn near the hard way is to remove the monocore as soon as you get home after shooting. I left the aluminum core in the steel tube and let it sit for a few days before attempting to take it down to clean. The combination of aluminum and steel in contact with each other, plus burnt powder residue (carbon) and moisture created a galvanic cell that began oxidizing the aluminum monocore. Most sandpaper is aluminum oxide. The grittiness of the aluminum oxide made it nearly impossible to extract the aluminum monocore from the steel tube.

To remove the monocore I had to pull it with so much force I was afraid it might be pulled apart. Fortunately is stayed together and it came out intact. I polished the oxidized exterior of the core and cleaned the inside of the tube well.

I developed a trick of swabbing the interior of the steel tube and lightly coating the exterior of the monocore with purple, ceramic (non-metallic) anti-seize. Even though I'll never deliberately leave the monocore in the tube after shooting, maybe I'll forget, get interrupted, whatever, and fail to remove it. I think the anti-seize is cheap insurance against a potential problem.

nosbocaj

Oct 11, 2021
    I have a mist on a T/D and love it. Although it is mono core, I performs extremely well. Very quiet. Make sure you check the stock has clearance for the OD of the suppressor/barrel.
    A buddy has a mist on a TD with a norell pack installed. Just plain awesome.

Good to hear, the Mist is definitely up there on my list. Thanks!

nosbocaj

Oct 11, 2021
    I have a Frederick Arsenal Horsefly integrally suppressed 10/22. It has and aluminum monocore. It looks just like a 10/22 with a bull barrel, which is in reality a steel tube welded to the receiver. The actual barrel inside is of a very small outside diameter and only about 8 inches long with the monocore stacked on top of that, and a threaded plug with a hex opening holding everything together. It's a great rifle. I have no opinion on the rifles mentioned in the OP.

One lesson I learned darn near the hard way is to remove the monocore as soon as you get home after shooting. I left the aluminum core in the steel tube and let it sit for a few days before attempting to take it down to clean. The combination of aluminum and steel in contact with each other, plus burnt powder residue (carbon) and moisture created a galvanic cell that began oxidizing the aluminum monocore. Most sandpaper is aluminum oxide. The grittiness of the aluminum oxide made it nearly impossible to extract the aluminum monocore from the steel tube.

To remove the monocore I had to pull it with so much force I was afraid it might be pulled apart. Fortunately is stayed together and it came out intact. I polished the oxidized exterior of the core and cleaned the inside of the tube well.

I developed a trick of swabbing the interior of the steel tube and lightly coating the exterior of the monocore with purple, ceramic (non-metallic) anti-seize. Even though I'll never deliberately leave the monocore in the tube after shooting, maybe I'll forget, get interrupted, whatever, and fail to remove it. I think the anti-seize is cheap insurance against a potential problem.

Interesting, I'm not seeing that anywhere on a google search. Is it custom made?

I've heard the same about other monocore designs. The mist specifically says to do similar steps in the user manual.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Frederick Arsenal was the old Glade Valley Arsenal. AIUI, the owner got into hot water with AFT and dissolved the business. They also made an integrally suppressed pistol, though I don't recall its name. I bumped into someone from Frederick Arsenal at Engage, and Engage started carrying them. After Carlos put the rifle in my hands, out came the Visa card.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Oh, I'll add that I have a few quarts of copy machine silicone fuser oil. I dip the monocore in that before inserting it in the steel tube. Boy, does that make cleanup a snap.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I have an AAC built on a stainless match barrel. Not quite as quiet as some, but extremely accurate, which is what drove the purchase decision. It's a sealed unit and I use a ultrasonic cleaner with it. I soak it in Kroil overnight, then run it in the ultrasonic bath with dish detergent. Had it since '03 and it's still pretty quiet.

Pretty sure AAC is out of business these days.

nosbocaj

Oct 11, 2021
    So it's user serviceable? The baffles come out?

Of the ones I'm looking at:

AB MELB - removable baffles that are screwed in. To clean you simply twist them out of the tube. Then an ultrasonic cleaner for the baffles if you want to REALLY clean them
    Gemtech Mist - Monocore, so take the tube off and scrub the structure, which is fixed to the barrel
    Tacsol TSS - removable baffles, ultrasonic cleaner

.22 is pretty filthy. Of the two .22 cans I have (SilencerCo Sparrow, CGS Hydra), I prefer monocore vs. baffle. On larger centerfire cans, baffles are far more common and preferred (though plenty of people say cleaning centerfire cans is pointless).

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I always loosen the tube after shooting. As a matter of fact, I do that with every serviceable can I use if it is not too hot.
    I spray down the Mist (mono core) with gun scrubber and soak it down with CLP. Gets real enough for me. I dont worry about every little spec of dirt or lead.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    So it's user serviceable? The baffles come out?
    Yup One piece monocore (redundant, I know).

Here's the rifle above my Rohrbaugh R9S.

1709669496165.jpeg

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    I have a Tactical Solutions integrally suppressed 10/22 in a Hogue stock. I swapped the TacSol receiver for a Kidd with a Kidd trigger. Once I figured out the ammo it likes to eat, it’s a very quiet and very fun rifle. The Hogue stock is flimsy but light.

nosbocaj

Oct 11, 2021
    Looking like I'm going to go with the AB Suppressor MELB. I really like the unique way the baffles are setup. Normally, I'd prefer a monocore like the Mist, but the fact that you can "tune" the baffle spacing to work with whatever ammo you're using is really cool. The fact that it cleans itself when the baffles are removed is a really cool feature as well. Plus it's a cool $100 cheaper than the Mist, which will cover the transfer fee.

Thanks all for the feedback!

Last edited:

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Looking like I'm going to go with the AB Suppressor MELB. I really like the unique way the baffles are setup. Normally, I'd prefer a monocore like the Mist, but the fact that you can "tune" the baffle spacing to work with whatever ammo you're using is really cool. The fact that it cleans itself when the baffles are removed is a really cool feature as well. Plus it's a cool $100 cheaper than the Mist, which will cover the transfer fee.

Thanks all for the feedback!
    Not to poo poo your choice as all I know about them is the video. BUT, 22 is really dirty. Having those baffles that screw out and having the thread exposed is just asking for trouble. Once lead fuses itself to the threads, how the hell are you going to get them out? Research the that system.
    Most if not all 22 cans have s lot more than 4 baffles that are not mono core. I prefer baffles over mono any day. His statement about cci quiet is laughable at best. They are of course very quiet, they are rated at about 700 fps. Hitting anything with them at 100 yards will require a significant hold over. You can see them drop.
    As for tuning, it's a 22. Get subsonic ammo. No tuning needed.
    I would be hesitant buying one of those cans.

Last edited:

nosbocaj

Oct 11, 2021
    Not to poo poo your choice as all I know about them is the video. BUT, 22 is really dirty. Having those baffles that screw out and having the thread exposed is just asking for trouble. Once lead fuses itself to the threads, how the hell are you going to get them out? Research the that system.
    Most if not all 22 cans have s lot more than 4 baffles that are not mono core. I prefer baffles over mono any day. His statement about cci quiet is laughable at best. They are of course very quiet, they are rated at about 700 fps. Hitting anything with them at 100 yards will require a significant hold over. You can see them drop.
    As for tuning, it's a 22. Get subsonic ammo. No tuning needed.
    I would be hesitant buying one of those cans.

Yeah I've had a Sparrow since 2013 that probably has 10k rounds through it. I agree it's dirty stuff. I clean it every 2k or so and I've never had any issue.

NFA Review Channel goes over the AB system pretty well in his video:

He said he put at least 500-600, maybe more, before disassembling in the video. The baffles all come out quick easily from the looks of it. He goes on further to say that AB had a customer come in who had shot 10k and they had to use a drill to back out the baffles.

The Mist is still on the table for sure, but I'm a sucker for unique designs.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Yeah I've had a Sparrow since 2013 that probably has 10k rounds through it. I agree it's dirty stuff. I clean it every 2k or so and I've never had any issue.

NFA Review Channel goes over the AB system pretty well in his video:

He said he put at least 500-600, maybe more, before disassembling in the video. The baffles all come out quick easily from the looks of it. He goes on further to say that AB had a customer come in who had shot 10k and they had to use a drill to back out the baffles.

The Mist is still on the table for sure, but I'm a sucker for unique designs.

Nice.... Like I said, I never heard of them, now you have me curious.
    I need another 22 can like I need another hole in my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom