• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    What is really funny is that although I am asked about my collector status, I never have been asked to show it. When I ask if they need to see it usually I get a "Nope!". I guess when the MSP logs the purchase in the system there is some checkbox in the buyers account that indicates they have collector status.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    What is really funny is that although I am asked about my collector status, I never have been asked to show it. When I ask if they need to see it usually I get a "Nope!". I guess when the MSP logs the purchase in the system there is some checkbox in the buyers account that indicates they have collector status.
    Not required.. As long you check the box.. Ffl care less about your DC letter

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Get the pair. You can afford it. Me, I'll have to get rid of a P229 and a MK25 in order to make that happen.
    LOL, I ain't rich, besides I have to go to the boss and gain permission for any purchases. She always says yes but I always feel selfish for asking. LMAO

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Believe it or not, I once had a shop (who is not an IP here) accidentally sell me two guns within 30 days. I wasn't paying attention to the dates, and I had bought from them often enough that they thought I was a collector, so THEY checked that box for me.

MSP apparently just told them "hey, this guy isn't a collector, you have to hold on to the gun for another X days."

That was years and years ago, and I'm a DC now, but it actually wasn't a huge deal, at least 14 or 15 years ago. That said, I don't know that I ever bought from that shop again, as I was kind of upset that they changed my paperwork after I'd filled it out.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Believe it or not, I once had a shop (who is not an IP here) accidentally sell me two guns within 30 days. I wasn't paying attention to the dates, and I had bought from them often enough that they thought I was a collector, so THEY checked that box for me.

MSP apparently just told them "hey, this guy isn't a collector, you have to hold on to the gun for another X days."

That was years and years ago, and I'm a DC now, but it actually wasn't a huge deal, at least 14 or 15 years ago. That said, I don't know that I ever bought from that shop again, as I was kind of upset that they changed my paperwork after I'd filled it out.
    Wow. Glad you didn't get arrested.

Sig Snob

May 20, 2012
    Not required.. As long you check the box.. Ffl care less about your DC letter
    According to the MDSP's 2014 Dealer Seminar, the dealer must see the actual Designated Collector Letter on official MDSP letterhead. This was news to all 100+ dealers in the room as we'd all just been accepting the customer's word for it.

Sig Snob

May 20, 2012
    Save the Designated Collector status bit and how easy it is to just fill out a form and become one, I got it and really that's not what I am addressing.

So, buy 1 today and cannot buy another until 30 days after picking up or buy 2 today and wait 60 before being able to buy again, 1 or 2. No problem.

Now.... does that purchase of 2 have to be from the same dealer, on the same day? Or can I go to say, Baltimore's best to get a Vickers G19 today and the same day or tomorrow go to The CopShop and get a G17?

If on 2 different days, does the 60 days start after picking up the 2nd purchase?

Is there a timeframe (say within 7 days) that the 2nd purchase HAS to be made? Or as long as it is within 30 days of the 1st pickup?

Thought this would be a fun decipher for the experts :D :thumbsup:
    Both firearms have to be part of the same 77R, so same dealer. However, as someone else mentioned, the 77R is just the background check. At any time before the firearm leaves the store, the dealer can change the firearm or add another to it, we just have to update the MSP with the info on the firearm(s) that leave.

The 30 (or 60 if buying 2) day waiting period starts on the day of pickup as the sale is not complete until you take possession of the gun. You can fill out a 77R once a day for all the MSP cares, you just have to follow the rules regarding pick-ups. To avoid confusion, a good dealer will just add a note to the cover sheet letting the MSP know that we realize pick-up will have to be delayed (as long as the NICS that they do will still be valid at pick-up).

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    According to the MDSP's 2014 Dealer Seminar, the dealer must see the actual Designated Collector Letter on official MDSP letterhead. This was news to all 100+ dealers in the room as we'd all just been accepting the customer's word for it.

Especially since some people never got their letter. And MSP refuses to send a replacement.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

All the different FFl's I've dealt with and not one has ever asked to see the letter. I was told MSP checks when they get the 77r

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sig Snob

May 20, 2012
    All the different FFl's I've dealt with and not one has ever asked to see the letter. I was told MSP checks when they get the 77r

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The MSP is supposed to check, but so is the dealer. Go to MDSP's website, Licensing Division, Firearms, Regulated Firearms Dealers, and scroll to the bottom of the page. There are pdfs of the last three year's of seminars. Check out 2014.

I have no doubt all of the FFLs you've dealt with have never asked. I never asked either until this seminar. Of course only a small percentage of dealers even bother to attend these. On my last MSP audit, Porea asked all employees if they saw the letter before submitting the application. Just another way for them to screw with us. This is a primary reason I'm not a MD Regulated Dealer anymore and just use the MSP barracks for transfers.

I transferred two handguns to a cop buddy of mine and the trooper never asked for his designated collector's letter either. So this information is worth exactly what you paid for it. Just don't crucify a dealer if they ask for the letter. It's not worth a citation to the dealer to ignore the MSP even if they are just making this up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom