• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    i thought they did this every year.....

Hell more people died in Chicago this year than American service members in Iraq.

Yep banning guns will work. got it

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I'm confused because I've seen this refereed to as a gun ban and as an assault weapons ban.

Are they trying an AWB or spitting at Heller with a full ban?

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    I'm confused because I've seen this refereed to as a gun ban and as an assault weapons ban.

I have not been able to find any specifics regarding this either. But, wouldn't any new ban also be spitting in the face of CA7 based on the Moore decision? Especially since the Court was nice enough to give them 180 days to comply with the findings of the case?

Mr H

Banana'd

I haven't seen text, but as I'm hearing it, this is an attempt at a full firearms ban.

Downstaters won't have it, but the fight won't be pretty.

ETA... this is all I can find on it so far...

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=32796

Significant excerpt here:
    Word is out that IL Senate President John Cullerton, of Chicago, plans to push passage of a statewide gun ban during the lame duck session which begins tomorrow, Jan. 2, 2013 at 3 p.m.. Using the tragedy committed in the Connecticut school, Cullerton wants to push Chicago's ban on legal, commonly owned, commonly used firearms and ammunition magazines.

Chicago legislators have been wanting to push their failed semi-auto gun ban into the entire state for decades and believe, in the light of the recent tragedy, that this is their opportunity to get it done.
    We know from experience if they succeed with this ban, they will not stop there. Comments have already been made about needing to ban "sniper rifles" which in reality are only single shot, bolt action hunting rifles. There is no firearm which is safe from being banned.

Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    Is there a way for us to help? I read the announcement from ISRA, and their action requests all seem to be directed to IL residents. I'm already a member for NRA, GAO and SAF. Was considering joining ISRA to show support to IL. Anything else?

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Is there a way for us to help? I read the announcement from ISRA, and their action requests all seem to be directed to IL residents. I'm already a member for NRA, GAO and SAF. Was considering joining ISRA to show support to IL. Anything else?

NRA, SAF and ISRA are all good.

This is fundamentally an ISRA and/or Illinoiscarry.com issue right now. "IF" the effort to stop the bill fails and it becomes law, that's when the SAF/NRA litigation efforts could come into play.

The quote from Mr H above is from Molly B (Illinoiscarry) on 1/1. It was originally provided by the NRA's rep in IL, Todd Vandermyde on 12/31: http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=32771

jpk1md brought the story here on 12/31 as well: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=99366

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I'm wondering if there's a connection to them losing in Moore? This kind of ban seems draconian even by their standards.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    IANAL, IIRC, didn't Moore pretty much spell out that a blanket ban was unacceptable? Wouldn't implementing this type of ban just be a contemptuous slap in the face and wind right back in CA7 as a violation of their findings?

mshilto89

Sep 6, 2012
    Aspen Hill, MoCo
    Wow, just read the text of the bill..... So ALL 50 caliber weapons, anything that can accept a magazine, even handguns and shotguns. There is even a limit on the weights of revolvers...

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    They're also after ranges with a whole slew of onerous requirements and if you don't already have an FOID you cannot participate in any live fire sessions but of course you have to pass a live fire test to get the FOID.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Off-the-hook lunacy. Partial quote from bill 1263 of banned guns:

(C-1) a semi-automatic rifle or pistol with a fixed
    magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10
    rounds of ammunition;
    (C-2) a semi-automatic rifle or a pistol with the
    capacity to accept a detachable magazine, a muzzle
    brake, or muzzle compensator;

The bill labels any such gun as a "semi-automatic assault weapon". Section C-2 is a clever, near-duplicate of another section but bans all semi-auto rifles and pistols that use detachable magazines. Anybody owning guns on the ban list would have to register them with IL state police within 90 days. No new sales or taking possession of guns that are on the list. Owners of existing banned guns would not be able to sell them in IL.

Good luck with that.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Should let them pass it. It'll make for good case law when it gets smacked down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom