Post Woollard Win: Should HB45 be Supported or Withdrawn?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SkunkWerX

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2010
    MoCo/HoCo border
    Title says it all. What are the Pros and Cons of HB45 in a post-Woollard environment.

My gut says kill the bill. But I do not profess to have 100% of the facts nor the legal background to school everyone, waiting on that.

Thoughts please.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yes, kill it. We need legal precedent which says the 2A applies outside the home so there is no possibility that it can be violated again.

Glaug-Eldare

BANNED!!!
    Jan 17, 2011
    This bill needs to die, right now, before it can totally destroy the Woollard decision. He need to [reassess his priorities] and PULL IT. Everything he's said since the decision is painting him as an oblivious [politician] too committed to his preeecioussss to do what's good for gun owners.

Last edited:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Title says it all. What are the Pros and Cons of HB45 in a post-Woollard environment.

My gut says kill the bill. But I do not profess to have 100% of the facts nor the legal background to school everyone, waiting on that.

Thoughts please.

Hell, I have been against any legislative feel-good issue bill. I was against it pre-woollard, and I'm still against it post-woollard.

There is no need for us to encourage more restraints on ourselves.

SkunkWerX

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2010
    MoCo/HoCo border
    So, if this is the case, with the guidance of counsel, and approval of MSI leadership, what is the way to get this done?

Do we have a direct line to Smeigel, Dwyer and others?

Or would it take an uprising via social media, let's figure this out before we go off half cocked.
    AND, let's be expedient about it.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    MSI has a few lawyers looking at the impact of the Shall Issue bills to decide a position.

My PERSONAL opinion is they are poison pills and HB-45 is the worst of them.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Guys,

I share your sentiments and it is being addressed in the rational manner that you expect from us.

There are numerous attorneys working on this very issue right now putting together briefs on the subject.

We don't need a public brawl over this, but yes, it is indeed very important that it be addressed.

SkunkWerX

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2010
    MoCo/HoCo border
    Guys,

I share your sentiments and it is being addressed in the rational manner that you expect from us.

There are numerous attorneys working on this very issue right now putting together briefs on the subject.

We don't need a public brawl over this, but yes, it is indeed very important that it be addressed.

Norton Thanks.
    We'll keep it civil, as starter of this thread, if I see it getting bad I'll PM you/mods to lock it down.
    Otherwise, drop us a line here, and via MSI and we will do whatever is needed to get the good delegates attention.

Awaiting further orders.

Hear that everyone? Let's keep it orderly and a high level professional discussion.

Steve973

Enthusiast
    Feb 7, 2012
    Howard County
    Please help me understand how HB-45 differs from the current Wollard ruling. I'm sure there's an effective difference, but this stuff is new to me, so I could use some clarification, please.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Please help me understand how HB-45 differs from the current Wollard ruling. I'm sure there's an effective difference, but this stuff is new to me, so I could use some clarification, please.

Here's how I understand it.

Judge Legg ruled that the Good and Substantial clause is unconstitutional. Unconstitutional laws are unenforceable even if they remain on the book.

HB-45 seeks to say "You are presumed to have a good and substantial reason unless the MSP proves otherwise." Delegate Smigiel says the only things they can use are other items in the statue, but HB-45 doesn't say that, he does and the MSP have said it'll be business as usual.

Effectively HB-45 gives new life to a part of the law found unconstitutional. Why would we even dream of reviving G&S after Judge Legg so elegantly killed it?

HB-45 also moots Judge Legg's ruling because it changes the law he ruled on. It would require filing a new case; and wasting 10s of thousands of dollars to do the whole same song and dance over again.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The Woollard Decision needs to be kept as law. Do what you can to support the SAF/MSI in this endeavor.

This is the first ruling that dictates that the 2A extends beyond the doorstep of the home.

Note: this is a crucial critical step to secure our 2A freedom(s)!

Do not let the politicians undermine it!

Steve973

Enthusiast
    Feb 7, 2012
    Howard County
    Yes, thanks for that. Come to think of it, HB-45 doesn't specify anything about what would serve as proof that the applicant doesn't have a good reason.

SkunkWerX

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2010
    MoCo/HoCo border
    The Woollard Decision needs to be kept as law. Do what you can to support the SAF/MSI in this endeavor.

This is the first ruling that dictates that the 2A extends beyond the doorstep of the home.

Note: this is a crucial critical step to secure our 2A freedom(s)!

Do not let the politicians undermine it!

^^THIS^^ :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Yes, thanks for that. Come to think of it, HB-45 doesn't specify anything about what would serve as proof that the applicant doesn't have a good reason.

This has been my complaint with HB-45 since I first read it and people started bashing me for seeing it as a bad bill.

I even tried to address it with Smigiel to no avail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom