Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Curio and Relic (C&R)

Old September 21st, 2011, 04:37 PM   #1
Mr Oni
Military history nut

French 7.5 ammo dosent work in my mas

My freind brought me some 7.5 french ammo at arcadia this weekend i have not seen it yet but he says it wont fit in my mas. This leads me to believe it goes to some other french rifle maybe a lebel?

Czech vz 24 8mm mauser
1930 hex reciever mosin nagant
1937 mosin nagant
1950 Mas 1936
Marlin model 25 wtt for a 12 gauge shotgun
Henry 22 lever
Mossberg 44us
Daisy red ryder
Daisy pal
crossman pumpmaster
Mr Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 07:18 PM   #2
lee2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oni View Post
My freind brought me some 7.5 french ammo at arcadia this weekend i have not seen it yet but he says it wont fit in my mas. This leads me to believe it goes to some other french rifle maybe a lebel?
is your mas a 7.5?

and never play the fool."

-Richard Bachman
lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 07:34 PM   #3
Gunner71
Lone Wolf

Did he by chance pick up 7.5 Swiss? Only French 7.5 I know of should work in a MAS36. The Lebel I am almost positive was in 8mm but I am not an expert in French firearms. My Grandfather had a guy in his unit put the wrong ammo in a French pistol, blew up and killed him. Moral of the story, make damn sure you've got the right ammo long before you head to the range.
Gunner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 07:52 PM   #4
GNLaFrance
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oni View Post
How does he know it won't fit? Why did he buy it in the first place?

These two rounds are not interchangeable:

7.5x54mm French

8mm Lebel
GNLaFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 09:37 PM   #5
StraightArrow88

Maybe like Gunner said, he might have bought some 7.5x55 Swiss ammo, which is for Swiss K31's and other Swiss rifles. I've never heard of MAS36's being chambered in other cartridges besides 7.5x54.
StraightArrow88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 10:53 PM   #6
Mr Oni
Military history nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNLaFrance View Post
How does he know it won't fit? Why did he buy it in the first place?

These two rounds are not interchangeable:

7.5x54mm French

8mm Lebel
Thanks he went to arcadia and saw some ammo marked french 7.5 he knew vaguley thats what my mas took so when he got to his house he tried it in my rifle which I keep their and it didnt fit. Ive been looking on the internet and yes i have only seen 8mm lebels so it must be swiss ammo

Czech vz 24 8mm mauser
1937 mosin nagant
1950 Mas 1936
Henry 22 lever
Mossberg 44us
Daisy red ryder
Daisy pal
crossman pumpmaster
Old September 21st, 2011, 10:57 PM   #7
Mr Oni
Military history nut

I wonder if you could use the swiss bullets in the empty french brass

Czech vz 24 8mm mauser
1937 mosin nagant
1950 Mas 1936
Henry 22 lever
Mossberg 44us
Daisy red ryder
Daisy pal
crossman pumpmaster
Old September 22nd, 2011, 08:45 AM   #8
Lou45

Pissing off the libtards

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightArrow88 View Post
Maybe like Gunner said, he might have bought some 7.5x55 Swiss ammo, which is for Swiss K31's and other Swiss rifles. I've never heard of MAS36's being chambered in other cartridges besides 7.5x54.
There were a few converted to 7.62X51 (.308).

"Lou = 1911 .45 snob....Then once you understand that Lou shoots my pistols better than me, you'll understand why he's such a pisser." As per Splitter(RIP).

"Lou is like a living, breathing, walking, talking, BIG F-U to Brian Frosh, his puppeteer in government house, and all their cronies." As per ma_deuce.
Lou45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 09:30 AM   #9
StraightArrow88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou45 View Post
There were a few converted to 7.62X51 (.308).
I stand corrected.
StraightArrow88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 01:48 PM   #10
BigCity
resident undertaker

Maybe it was surrendering and didn't want to be fired.

God who gave us life gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of God? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, that his justice cannot sleep forever.

Thomas Jefferson

Obama, putting the P.O.S. in P.O.T.U.S since 2008
BigCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 02:04 PM   #11
QuebecoisWolf

Check the headstamps on the ammo (if any) and look for markings on the rifle. I would assume that your rifle was imported (it's extremely unlikely that it came home as a Vietnam War souvenir), the import stamp is required by law to list the caliber. Some importers hid the stamp on the underside of the barrel or beneath the stock to make the rifle look more pristine.
QuebecoisWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 02:57 PM   #12
mawkie

The MAS 36, 36/51, 44, 49 & 49/56 were all originally chambered for 7.5 x 54. The Berthier M34 and Lebel M27, both extremely rare, were also chambered for this cartridge. All other Berthier and Lebel rifles and carbines were chambered for 8mm x 50R.
As Lou said, Century converted some MAS 49/56s to 7.62 x 51 but you will see this stamped on the left side of the receiver. Pretty prominent, hard to miss.
As an aside, there were some chamber inserts on the market at one time to allow the user to shoot .32 pistol rounds in the MAS 36. These would be fixed in the chamber using Loctite permanent thread locker.
mawkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 10:14 PM   #13
Mr Oni
Military history nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity View Post
LOl yes that must be what the problem was.

Czech vz 24 8mm mauser
1937 mosin nagant
1950 Mas 1936
Henry 22 lever
Mossberg 44us
Daisy red ryder
Daisy pal
crossman pumpmaster
Old September 22nd, 2011, 10:42 PM   #14
Lou45

Pissing off the libtards

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightArrow88 View Post
I stand corrected.
No prob BOB.

Quote:
Maybe it didn't want to be fired and that's why it surrendered in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawkie View Post
The MAS 36, 36/51, 44, 49 & 49/56 were all originally chambered for 7.5 x 54. The Berthier M34 and Lebel M27, both extremely rare, were also chambered for this cartridge. All other Berthier and Lebel rifles and carbines were chambered for 8mm x 50R.
As Lou said, Century converted some MAS 49/56s to 7.62 x 51 but you will see this stamped on the left side of the receiver. Pretty prominent, hard to miss.
As an aside, there were some chamber inserts on the market at one time to allow the user to shoot .32 pistol rounds in the MAS 36. These would be fixed in the chamber using Loctite permanent thread locker.
The left side of the receiver should be stamped "7.62" OR "7.62X51" quite prominently; can't be missed if it is.

I wasn't aware of the so-called chamber inserts to shoot .32 handgun cartridges in these. What .32 cartridge did it handle? There are several different .32 handgun cartridges. EDUMICATE ME, DAMMIT!!! This is a chance for me to learn something new.

"Lou = 1911 .45 snob....Then once you understand that Lou shoots my pistols better than me, you'll understand why he's such a pisser." As per Splitter(RIP).

"Lou is like a living, breathing, walking, talking, BIG F-U to Brian Frosh, his puppeteer in government house, and all their cronies." As per ma_deuce.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 05:54 AM   #15
mawkie

Lou, wish I could remember exactly who it was that had the ads in SGN back in the day for the .32acp conversion. MCACE used to sell 7.5 to 7.63 x 39mm adapters but I don't see them listed on their site anymore. They still sell inserts for .32acp for .308 and 30-06 so perhaps they were the party I remembered. I'm surprised anyone still uses centerfire inserts as the heat and pressure usually weaken the Loctite to the point where the insert eventually gets extracted with a spent cartridge.
Also forgot that Century converted some MAS 36s to 7.62 x 51. These apparently worked much better than the MAS 49/56 conversions.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 09:00 AM   #16
Lou45

Pissing off the libtards

Quote:
Lou, wish I could remember exactly who it was that had the ads in SGN back in the day for the .32acp conversion. MCACE used to sell 7.5 to 7.63 x 39mm adapters but I don't see them listed on their site anymore. They still sell inserts for .32acp for .308 and 30-06 so perhaps they were the party I remembered. I'm surprised anyone still uses centerfire inserts as the heat and pressure usually weaken the Loctite to the point where the insert eventually gets extracted with a spent cartridge.
Also forgot that Century converted some MAS 36s to 7.62 x 51. These apparently worked much better than the MAS 49/56 conversions.
OK, so the .32 conversions were NOT French for say, such as the 7.65 MAB cartridge, but commercial crap for the US market targeting Joe Blow that doesn't know any better. DAMMIT!!!!!! Thought I was going to learn something new here today.

Thanks for the research mawkie.

Old September 23rd, 2011, 09:11 AM   #17
NY Transplant
Wabbit Season/Duck Season

Quote:
You need to pull out the white flag and corkscrew before it will fire.

Old September 23rd, 2011, 09:43 PM   #18
mawkie

OK Lou, maybe I can show you something new, maybe not! Between the wars the French took a lesson from the US Hoffer-Thompson trainer, which was basically a 1903 Springfield w. .22lr barrel installed. They went down the same route with the MAS Tir Reduit. This was a MAS 36 trainer that had a .22lr barrel and a special 25-200 meter rear sight installed. Otherwise it was identical to a std MAS 36. And like the Hoffer-Thompson it used a cartridge carrier to simulate 7.5 x 54mm cartridges. This allowed stripper clip loading and repeat firing but using an affordable and low recoiling .22lr cartridge.
The Hoffer-Thompson didn't work so well and, after building about 15,000 examples, they were replaced by the classic M1922 trainer. The French had exactly the same experience and replaced the Tir Reduit with the outstanding MAS 45 trainer.
Like the Hoffer -Thompson Tir Reduits are very rare, I've been scouring the market in vain since I last saw one at auction in 2007. Expect to pay at least $2500 for a Hoffer-Thompson. Tir Reduits were selling sub $1000 3-4 yrs ago but they come to market so rarely that fixing a 2011 market price for them is very difficult. And original cartridge carriers are even more rare. Most Tir Reduit owners who shoot them have had repops machined.

Photos 1 thru 3 - Tir Reduit cartridge adapter and receiver markings
Photo 4 - Hoffer-Thompson cartridge adapters mounted in stripper clip
Photo 5 - Tir Reduit 5.5l
Photo 6 - Springfield M1922 & MAS 45 .22lr trainers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FR%20MAS%2036%20de%20tir%20r%E9duit-ctg-WEB.jpg (25.1 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg FR MAS 36 en 5,5-adaptateur-WEB.jpg (39.3 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg mast2aih4.jpg (120.7 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg 03hofferdetail.jpg (11.4 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg 2681a.jpg (13.2 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP5738.JPG (108.7 KB, 139 views)
Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:17 PM   #19
lee2

your knowledge never ceases to amaze me.

and never play the fool."

-Richard Bachman
lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 11:06 PM   #20
Lou45

Pissing off the libtards

Quote:
OK Lou, maybe I can show you something new, maybe not! Between the wars the French took a lesson from the US Hoffer-Thompson trainer, which was basically a 1903 Springfield w. .22lr barrel installed. They went down the same route with the MAS Tir Reduit. This was a MAS 36 trainer that had a .22lr barrel and a special 25-200 meter rear sight installed. Otherwise it was identical to a std MAS 36. And like the Hoffer-Thompson it used a cartridge carrier to simulate 7.5 x 54mm cartridges. This allowed stripper clip loading and repeat firing but using an affordable and low recoiling .22lr cartridge.
The Hoffer-Thompson didn't work so well and, after building about 15,000 examples, they were replaced by the classic M1922 trainer. The French had exactly the same experience and replaced the Tir Reduit with the outstanding MAS 45 trainer.
Like the Hoffer -Thompson Tir Reduits are very rare, I've been scouring the market in vain since I last saw one at auction in 2007. Expect to pay at least $2500 for a Hoffer-Thompson. Tir Reduits were selling sub $1000 3-4 yrs ago but they come to market so rarely that fixing a 2011 market price for them is very difficult. And original cartridge carriers are even more rare. Most Tir Reduit owners who shoot them have had repops machined.

Photos 1 thru 3 - Tir Reduit cartridge adapter and receiver markings
Photo 4 - Hoffer-Thompson cartridge adapters mounted in stripper clip
Photo 5 - Tir Reduit 5.5l
Photo 6 - Springfield M1922 & MAS 45 .22lr trainers
Well, looks like I definately learned something new today. Thanks

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Curio and Relic (C&R)